• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone done a boosted viper with external wastegate setup?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Anyone toyed around tial external gate "race gas" setup on a viper? I'm debating on buying a turbo kit for mine or building my own setup over the summer for the viper, I'm surprised no one offers one for those who have extra money to burn.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Anyone toyed around tial external gate "race gas" setup on a viper? I'm debating on buying a turbo kit for mine or building my own setup over the summer for the viper, I'm surprised no one offers one for those who have extra money to burn.

there will be one soon, boost-it is building one for me & then once they are all figured out will be for sale:face-icon-small-hap.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i guess you could ask lol,they are crazy busy right now so i will get mine when they have time to work on it.doubt they would sell any till they have them figured out though.

arctic viper

Premium Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sioux Falls SD
IMO......for all things equal ( housings and wheels ) a properly setup external gate wins; costs more though.
180 hp level....not much
pushing the 180 turbo.....more so
then we go to a bigger turbo...
270+ hp.....external gate all the way.

The internal gate disrupts the exhaust flow.....proper external doesn't.
External gate seals better......better bottom end.

You CAN make an internally gated turbo better.....take off the exhaust housing and make the flapper seal better. Getting better flow, smooth things out.....PORTING.

I, personally want a responsive setup. I think the MPI ( or any other 180 hp setup ) is the ticket.......EVO for stock compression ( no shim ) power.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Agreed external gate set ups are a waste of money for low boost setups, since av gas pump is 20 min from my house and only 40 cents more than premium I will run straight 100ll, and will run 10:1 comp or maybe even try stock compression if it works with my elevation and power requirements

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Agreed external gate set ups are a waste of money for low boost setups, since av gas pump is 20 min from my house and only 40 cents more than premium I will run straight 100ll, and will run 10:1 comp or maybe even try stock compression if it works with my elevation and power requirements

Really???

Premium is $3.20/gal here
Avgas 100LL is $5.95/gal here

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR

40 cents a litre?.....or a gallon?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
If you look in top right says I'm from Fernie, BC .I'm talkin Canadian prices per liter premium is $1.55 pr liter and av gas at is 1.90 per liter

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i will be running 12-15lbs stock compression 50/50 c12- 91 oct ,turbo is a tial garrett hybrid with gsx billet wheel, turbosmart external gate.

You building the engine at all? I called chuck today I think I'm gonna give him my head if I put con rods in and what size Garrett? I would like to try something like a gtx 2871-2876

Last edited:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
If you look in top right says I'm from Fernie, BC .I'm talkin Canadian prices per liter premium is $1.55 pr liter and av gas at is 1.90 per liter

I know where you're from, but you're on an American website. Might have confused a few people south of the border.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
You building the engine at all? I called chuck today I think I'm gonna give him my head if I put con rods in and what size Garrett? I would like to try something like a gtx 2871-2876

for now i was going to do studs, but i mite just wait & keep it under 14lbs,boost it only had 2 head gaskets go last year both at 16lbs & stock motor.most of the sleds ran 12-14lbs with no issues.i rode neils sled a few times at 14lbs & it would climb most anything you wanted.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
for now i was going to do studs, but i mite just wait & keep it under 14lbs,boost it only had 2 head gaskets go last year both at 16lbs & stock motor.most of the sleds ran 12-14lbs with no issues.i rode neils sled a few times at 14lbs & it would climb most anything you wanted.

If your blowing head gaskets , are you egging the cylinders?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
seen apexs egg cylinder without blowing head gaskets,but havent seen a nytro-viper motor egg a cylinder.but iam sure its been done,they new they were running to much boost but,you have to find the limits some how.:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features