• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 Polarized Lenses

P
Apr 9, 2010
Sartell, MN
Looking to upgrade my current sinister goggles with chrome mirror/yellow tint to either the x5's or aviators. Would appreciate some feedback from those that have either and/or in the polarized version. Particularly the smoke or bronze tint. Are they worth the extra money? How do you like those colors for most conditions?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Looking to upgrade my current sinister goggles with chrome mirror/yellow tint to either the x5's or aviators. Would appreciate some feedback from those that have either and/or in the polarized version. Particularly the smoke or bronze tint. Are they worth the extra money? How do you like those colors for most conditions?

no comment on the polarized but i will never, ever, ever, ever run mirrored goggles again, i was using some isopropyl in a eyeglass cleaner bottle to remove fog and all my other goggles it works fine, works awesome acctually, my 509s it flaked off where there was some light scratches. all the pro models dont have mirrored lenses for a reason, i run burandt signature ones now and put orange no mirror in my sinisters.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I have polarized X5s and Aviators. They work well in almost all condtions, but they are polarized yellow. I wouldn't get the bronze or smoke. Yellow and rose lenses work best for me in flat light. Any lens will work on a bluebird day.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Love the Bronze Polarized. It really work great in all conditions. Yellow lens is only thing better in low light and it's only slightly better than the bronze.
I don't like the yellow polarized fyi, the regular yellow works better in low light for some reason.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
I've got 2 pairs of the original sinisters. One with polarized smoke one with polarized brown/bronze. The smoke is perfect in the blue bird days and brown/bronze isn't a bad back up. For overcast I won't use anything other than the brown/bronze again. The yellow mirrored works ok, but the 2 polarized seem more natural to my eyes than the yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Apr 9, 2010
Sartell, MN
So it sounds like bronze polarized and other versions are fairly popular out there. I don't get why none of the current aviators come standard with any of these? I wish I didn't have to buy 2 lenses to get something with bronze. Plus the 509 dealer I visited said it's not good for the foam seal behind the lens if they are changed even a few times? He said you're better off buying two sets of goggles and swapping those?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I have 5 different lenses for my aviators, cannot recall all of them off hand though. I have found that i prefer the polarized grey or brown, even over the yellow. The yellow just dont work for me.

In truth i dont really like the aviators, they fog up alot for me. I can see a larger field of view and they look awesome but they fog easily even with the fan. I realize alot of this is how you dress and i have adjusted to make less fogging but its still an issue.

I bought another pair of goggles (Zeal eclipse) that are way better because they breathe about 10x more than the aviators. They are a rose coler which works great on clear days but not low light i find. They also breathe so well that my face and eyes get cold/dry from the amount of air getting in.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
There are some brands that have a yellow /green = blue that is an amazing combination in just about all conditions . Even works exceptionally well in the evening . I thought the rose in multiple versions was a hard one to beat until I stumbled into that combination .

The polarized does weird things to the eyes in certain conditions , stresses them .

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I have 3 pairs of aviators with polarized lenses like the yellow least of all in all conditions have problems sweating and fogging with 509 carbon fiber helmet switch back to my old HJC with great results. 509 carbon fiber helmet great helmet just too warm for me

P
Apr 9, 2010
Sartell, MN
Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning towards the aviators with polarized bronze to go with my HJC CL-X6. Pretty good fit....I've already tried yellow tint so time for something new. The dumb thing is 509 doesn't make any of the aviators that come standard with the bronze tint. Even though on here and the vendors I talked to say that is one of the more popular choices. So I have to buy one with a lens I don't want and pay extra for the one I do? Whatever....left a message with 509 customer support so we'll see if they come thru with a swap for me buying direct:pop2:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
There are some brands that have a yellow /green = blue that is an amazing combination in just about all conditions . Even works exceptionally well in the evening . I thought the rose in multiple versions was a hard one to beat until I stumbled into that combination .

The polarized does weird things to the eyes in certain conditions , stresses them .

I see 509 does offer a blue tint, is that similar to what you are talking about?

Scroll to the bottom

http://www.509films.com/store/aviator-snow-goggles.html

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR and call 509! They will provide you with more info than anyone on Snowest, or the Internet for that matter (no offense Snowesters, but can anyone here really argue that?). I called them, told them the riding area, conditions I frequently ride in, and they were able to point me in the direction I wanted. Been 3 winters and I still have the same goggles/multiple lenses that I originally bought. Love the fit and the view!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I see 509 does offer a blue tint, is that similar to what you are talking about?

Scroll to the bottom

http://www.509films.com/store/aviator-snow-goggles.html

That one I do believe is straight yellow , I don't think they have the style of optics I'm talking about , their goggles are still limited .

Ask them if they have a yellow with green spectra . The yellow with green mixed is blue and those three colors bring out the best in poor visibility . What works for one might be worthless for another .

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i have the bronze/tint/polarized in my 509s. in not sure which model goggles they are, but the lenses are awesome. they are my best all-around goggles i own. sure there are some colors that perform better in the sun, better in the clouds, better in the snowy days.......................but all around, these bronze tint polarized lenses are my favorite for most conditions. my spare goggles i carry are clear with mirrored finish on the outside. ill only wear them while my good pair is under the hood getting thawed out, or im headed back to town in damn near dark conditions.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I have black ops sinister x5s with the polarized lenses. They are by far the best goggles I've ever had. I ride with them at night with no issues just leave my original sinister with clear lenses at home
The definition is incredible and the x5s are 5 times better than the original sinisters. I will never buy a mirrored lenses 3 sets all flaked off within one winter for me.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Love the Bronze Polarized. It really work great in all conditions. Yellow lens is only thing better in low light and it's only slightly better than the bronze.
I don't like the yellow polarized fyi, the regular yellow works better in low light for some reason.

100% agree on the yellow being better then the yellow polarized for me too in low/flat light. I have the yellow in both the Aviators and X5.

So it sounds like bronze polarized and other versions are fairly popular out there. I don't get why none of the current aviators come standard with any of these? I wish I didn't have to buy 2 lenses to get something with bronze. Plus the 509 dealer I visited said it's not good for the foam seal behind the lens if they are changed even a few times? He said you're better off buying two sets of goggles and swapping those?

That's strange to hear about swapping lens. I run with a couple guys that don't like to carry extra frames and they bought the Aviator because how easy it is to swap lens.

I have all 3 polarized lens for the Aviators and while a lot of people like the brown I used them one day and never have had them in again. The black version I only use on those perfect blue bird days and are great for me when it's really bright out. The polarized yellow works great as a "all conditions" but when the light gets really low I find they make everything to dark.

One of the lens that surprised me the most last season was the Fire mirror/rose tint in the Aviators. They are a lighter lint in the aviator version and really made things pop for me in the flat light. I bet towards the end of the season I spent as much time in those as I did the yellow ones. I bought the same lens for the X5 but that version is much darker. Never had the flaking issue that others have had. The only thing I clean the lens with is the cloth that comes with them. I have never sprayed anything on the lens for a cleaner or no fog agent so maybe that's why. I just use the goggle and store them in the bag when done. If they are wet (which they usually are) when I get done riding for the day I just let them sit out to dry and clean them in the morning.

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
I have the 509 X5 with a blue polarized lens , they are great in all riding conditions . I will buy a 2nd if this one ever get damaged , no fog issues great in bright sun or dusk .

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
My favorite lens is the Fire mirror rose. I use this lens for darn near every condition. Then clear yellow for night or horrible light.

Premium Features