• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 polarized lenses - which one to buy?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've used the blue mirror/blue tint for years and am due for a replacement.

I'd like to try a polarized lense, but I'm not sure which one to buy. I'd like something with better definition on overcast/socked in days.

What do you guys use?

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
IMO, 509 does not offer a polarized lens suitable for the darker conditions of heavy overcast days. I own their brown polarized and their yellow polarized lenses for my Sinisters. The brown I bought for bright sunny days, and it's awesome for that purpose. I had high hopes that the yellow would be as good for flat light conditions and bought them a month ago, and immediately upon taking them out of the package I knew that the tint was too dark. It simply blocks too much light transmission, and is nearly as dark as the polarized brown lens I already had. I decided to give it a go on my next ride anyway, which was in flat light, heavy overcast, snowy conditions. Frankly, that lens sucks for that condition. It's far too dark. I wrote a note to 509 suggesting they consider lightening up that lens, because IMO a light (very light) yellow tint with polarized coating would be awesome for flat light days because it would improve visual perception of terrain features. 509's response to my suggestion was I was the only person who had ever complained about the tint, although to their credit they did offer to take the lens back. I've opted to keep the lens as a backup for bright light conditions, but will be looking at other manufacturers besides 509 to find either a very light tint yellow or rose with a polarized coating that allows high light transmission for those dark flat light days.

Last edited:
M

mtnman69

Mar 19, 2011
I prefer the 509 rose tint on the overcast / snow days. They provide great definition of the terrain. I agree on the yellow tint being too dark for overcast days. All other days is Chrome blue tint imo .

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree that the yellow polarized lense is useless for flat light. The brown polarized lense is better in those conditions, but still not very good!

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
Run the yellow polarized all the time, then have the brown polarized in my backup goggles for sunny days and when the yellows get wet.

Few things I wish 509 did.... make the yellow polarized a lighter yellow (without tint), add more polarized colors.

Also anybody else notice how the polarized make round objects look bent? I was fooled a few times on my airframe running boards... With the polarized they look all bent up at certain angles.

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
I am trying the clear in one set and the yellow standard flash in another. I also ordered a plain yellow in case the clear is too flat. I hate a lot of tint especially on dark days

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Has anybody tried the orange? I read they are good for the flatter light and snowy conditions. Bought the orange lense but haven't tried it yet...

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Don't worry about polarization on overcast/no sun days. Polarization won't do anything for you on those days. Polarization ONLY helps remove light glare/indirect light from entering your eyes. On overcast or low light days, you won't have a problem with glares. Glares happen when it is bright out.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Personally I disagree with people that say polarization doesn't help on overcast days. Glare exists in all lighting conditions. I notice a difference, personally, which is why I choose polarized lenses. To each their own, but for me it does make a difference. Otherwise I wouldn't spend an extra $80 to have it.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
normal yellow or rose work great in flat light conditions IMO
back in my snowboarding days, I used rose a lot
when you took your goggles off everything looked green!!! was kinds neat

I have 2 pairs of Sinisters
one w Chrome/Yellow tint and the other r the CB Backcountry editions w plain yellow lens
then if conditions chage during the day (which often they do), its a matter of changing goggles on the hill
much easier then messing w a lens change

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Agree with above comments. I like the plain yellow for low light and keep another pair in my pack with polarized smoke for the sunny days.

Boone

Premium Features