• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Smart Phones: Droid or Iphone?

Droid or Iphone

• Total voters

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You just asked a Chevy Ford question but...

iPhone is the measuring stick, why not get the phone that everyone compares themselves to?

I have never heard of anyone say they don't like their iPhone, I have heard that a lot with the Droid. I have also heard a lot of people, very happy with their Droid. You will probably be happy with either.

I know you said you have Verizon but the 3G iPhone through AT&T is $50 right now. Know way you can beat that phone for $50 anywhere else.

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
This thread will soon diminish into an epic battle of iPhone lovers, and iPhone haters...

That in itself should answer your question.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I have the iphone 4. I like it, it has it's faults but its works for me. Never played with a droid, but have heard good things. Close your eyes and pick one, they are all pretty good these days IMO.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I had an iphone for about a year or so and then went to a droid phone because of availability being with tmobile. My opinion is that the iphone is A LOT more user friendly and still has more apps and better ones also, but I've come to really like my droid phone. My droid phone has some features my iphone didn't but I am comparing a 3g iphone to a 4g droid phone, so it isn't really apples to apples.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
My issue with 4G is that it is really only available in limited areas. These areas are usually in major metro areas. So you only get these blazing speeds when you are in areas that you probably already get a wireless connection. So IMHO 4G is completely over rated at this point. Until they get 4G in areas that you don't have a wireless connection it is simply bragging rights.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Maybe it's different in other areas or maybe it's because I was using an iphone on tmobile's network but my 4g droid phone is much faster than my iphone ever was and that is even while driving all over utah outside of major cities. Just my experience with it.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Hey PJ,

IMO get the Iphone. I have a newer Droid X right now and while the big screen is great and the android interface works well it is a pain to sync up with a computer and transfer data compared to the iphone. I had to spent another $40 on a transfer program to get everything to snyc here at work. When I get my next phone it will be the iphone. My wife and I are on Verizon and she has the Iphone. Signal strength and data speed seems to be about the same on both everywhere we go.

But like others have said you will most likely be happy with either phone.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
You just asked a Chevy Ford question but...

iPhone is the measuring stick, why not get the phone that everyone compares themselves to?

I have never heard of anyone say they don't like their iPhone, I have heard that a lot with the Droid. I have also heard a lot of people, very happy with their Droid. You will probably be happy with either.

I know you said you have Verizon but the 3G iPhone through AT&T is $50 right now. Know way you can beat that phone for $50 anywhere else.

That's all fine and dandy, except AT&T does not work up here (where I live) it works in Denver and may work in Vail where all of the special people are but where I work, live and play. It does not.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Pj I was simply saying that for others looking for a phone that might have AT&T, you can't beat the 3G iPhone in the $50 price range, no way.

For you and Verizon I would still go with the iPhone 4. I don't think you'll have a complaint. Extremely easy to setup and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It IS a Ford vs Chevy discussion.

IMO of the Droid line...the X is the only way to go although I haven't seen the Thunderbolt.

Although I haven't heard anyone who said they left DroidX, went to Iphone and liked it better.

I have heard it the other way around though.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I have droid X and am verizion. brother has I phone. Things I dont like, X locks up and you have to reboot. Also you cant be online at same time you are using the phone. There are literally thousands of more apps for iphone compared to other. BUT there are alot for the droid but it pales compared to Iphone.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I have had both, and now have an Evo (Android op. sys)

Both are great phones. Both work well frankly.

At first I hated my Evo, cause it did not operate like an Iphone. The buttons were different, and more of them.

Now that I have had this phone for awhile, I absolutely love it.

I think it is more important to find a carrier that has the best coverage for your area.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've had my phone since thanksgiving...it's locked up one time.
I've only pulled the battery once.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
The Casio G'Zone Commando looks to be a good one and has pretty high approval factors. Plus it's the "Tough" Smart phone. Shock, water resistant. Military grade construction.

It has a slower processor than the others, but you can abuse it and use it.

The Droid Charge has the most options

At least I have a couple of months to continue reading reviews. The common complaint is battery life. Seems like all Smart Phones have a battery that dies faster. What does one expect? play on it alot and the battery will drain faster.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I've had my phone since thanksgiving...it's locked up one time.
I've only pulled the battery once.

I got my Droid X about the same time and restart it once a week. I think I have done 2-3 battery pulls. I use it for work and put about 75 to 100 emails through it a day. GPS gets used almost daily along with most of the other phone features. It's still been worlds better then my Blackberry's ever were.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
gotcha. I use GPS hardly at all and only shove about 10-20 emails a day through it.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
It's simple, if you want a small screen with outdated technology, & someone to tell you what you can, and can't run on it, then buy the I-phone. If you like bigger screens, and having the ability to download anything on it, then buy Android.

There's 2 phones coming out later this year for Verizon. One is called the Motorolla Bionic, and the other is the Samsung GalaxySII. Both are at least 1ghz dual core processors with at least 1 gig of ram. Both will absolutely smoke the I-phone in regaurds of performance, and speed. Both will be on
4G also. Why you would ever consider even buying a 3G phone, and getting stuck on a 2 year contract right now is beyond me. 4G is the future, and with Verizon's LTE it's gonna scream. Both of these phones should be out by the end of Q3. They will be worth the wait though. Both will have HDMI out's, so you can watch your video on your tv also.

I've had the I-phone, and still have an I-pod touch, and they are simple to use, but I really like to customize my phones, and make them different. You can't do that with the I-phone. Also, I don't need Steve Jabbs telling me I can't have Flash player, because he don't like it. With android you can download 3rd party apps, so they don't have to be approved by Apple 1st.

JMO!

Premium Features