• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What sled to look for?

A
Dec 31, 2007
Looking for a sled for my wife. We know it needs to be a 500-600 class machine. Fan cooled, Electric Start. Reverse.

So given those requirements what should we be looking at. We don't really want something new but maybe 3-6 years old????

Thanks Much

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Polaris 600 is a twin cylinder liquid cooled motor. The 550 is a fan cooled setup and limited on power. The 550 also has shown problems getting enough fresh air to keep it cool and is known to burn down due to this flaw. My wife (5'4" 130#ish) rides a 2004 600 RMK 144" and that seems to be a great setup for her. The sled is stable enough to not be spooky on the trail, yet be light enough in the front end it doesn't work her to death in the deeper snow. I like the bigger footprint of the 144 as she and I both pack a kid with us for now. She can creep around in the deeper snow without getting stuck too often. We used to ride with a lady that had the 550 fan/136x1.25" track. That sled disappointed me because it didn't have enough power to pull much of a hill or keep up on the faster road sections. Granted, it was light, but I still wouldn't want one. Plus, the wife's 600 makes a fun back up sled. I would recommend a 2003 or newer 600 RMK with the 144" track for your wife as this is a small block motor which I prefer and it will come with the PERC (electronic reverse). If the sled does not come with electric start, it can be added.

A
Dec 31, 2007
So are there other liquid cooled options someone would recommend? Anything besides air cooled would probably be best apparently. I (the weenie wife in question) over-heated several air-cooled models. (Even scratchers don't help when you are this slow.)

Looking for something light but not jittery; I like to ride groomed trails or light snow open meadows; but still needs to be a good back up for some hill climbing or fast trails for hubby. Is the 600 RMK the perfect mix?

Can add electric start to any 600 RMK, or only certain models? Any years or probs to be wary of?

Premium Features