• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to re install motor, or helpfull ideas

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
The motor is being shiped as we speak from builder and am looking to do install by myself or with the help of a buddy... i took the motor out to be shipped but i think it could be a bit more trickey to install...

issues i forsee are hooking up oil pump conections, been two months since i took it out and it was trickey than, is there any steps to follow, also i am thinking you must hook all lines up prior to engine mount bolts

is there certain engine brackets that should be installed prior, ect

also priming oil pump, is there a procedure, i also seen my cable is fraid and i would guess it should be replaced before, how long to do install

any other helpful tips would be appreciated

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

kdawg

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Sounds familiar to me. I just got mine back a few days ago and am trying to remember the procedure. I bought one of those CD shop manuals off of ebay and it shows some good pictures on how to route all of the cables/hoses down by the oil pump.
A big tip I was given, was to set motor in chassis and then tilt the motor forward (tied it with rope) to hook up all the hoses down by the oil pump. This worked great.
One mistake I made was not routing the magneto wireing harness correctly. Put it on top of the motor mount bracket up against the motor before you drop the motor in. Good luck!:)

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
hoses

does the center nipple on the case the one that has the 90 degree bend in it get the hose coming from the coolent tank? then the center of the motor is filled with coolent around the crank between the center crank seals?

R
Jan 17, 2011
does the center nipple on the case the one that has the 90 degree bend in it get the hose coming from the coolent tank? then the center of the motor is filled with coolent around the crank between the center crank seals?
Get a manual, or find diagrams online. The local dealer here in Reno has a great website with diagrams.

That nipple sounds like the oil return line, or the hose to the fuel pump. The small hose on the bottom of the coolant tank should go to the carbs.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
cavity

So the oil pump let's oil bypass into the case to lube the common shaft that the water pump is also on? Making the nipple im referring to a return?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
bud

Just went and looked at a buddys xp and can almost see another oil line behind there bit I wonder what I did with it on mine? Its clear plastic and goes on the 90 I hope

W
Dec 19, 2009
Zimmerman MN

There is two that go to the rave valve solenoids. One that pressurises the oil resivoir. One that pressurises the fuel pump. And the oil hose. It's been a while since I removed and re installed my engine. Does the coolant hose you are looking at go to your carbs?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
oil return

i had the oil return all zip tied up where i couldnt see it so it didnt leak out thanks for the reminder.
his thing is going back in as easy as it came out, a real swearing match with myself!! canadians must have small hands haha

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
pics

hope to help someone elses search
472301681_photobucket_56251_.jpg

472301681_photobucket_56252_.jpg

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
oil pump

should i have primed the oil pump or will it prime itself if i mix the first tank? had it started and running smooth for a while then started revving it a little then it started making horrible clunk noises and fouled a plug? did the pump finally prime and over oil to foul a plug? should the oil return be full of return oil at all times cause its empty now? i didnt get a knock sensor but the battery pic flashed when it clunked? i dont think i forgot any connectors? did i suck somthing i couldnt see in the pipe back into the cylinder and re score my brand new top end?
when i put the jug on it was pinching all the vacuum hoses pretty good could they cause a rave not to open and crash it?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
yes you need to prime the oil pump, there is a bleed screw at the bottom, you turn open and wait till oil comes out, second thing you need to get in their and hold oil pump wide open off off start to help prime, i do that and throw oil in the fuel tank for extra lube, and help if oil pump has failed or caused issue

as for the clunking noises, that is not a good sign, might want to pull the head and take a look

Premium Features