• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo and Powervalve elimination

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Just wondering about deleting the powervalves on a turbo'd M. An M7 specifically. Anyone run this setup on their boosted sled? Seems like it would eliminate some variables for tuning and trouble shooting. Just wondering.

Thanks

2strokeboost

Nov 26, 2007
alberta, canada
gottem on my turbo m1000, uses more fuel and you dont use the exhaust valve feature on bd box, saves weight and no more cable problems, i like em, also got rid of oil injection pump with bd removal kit, even more weight savings awesome

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Is it a noticeable amount of fuel usage. Maybe you could tell me why its using more fuel without the valves. I didn't really care about the weights saving but thats a good point. I mostly was thinking about the servo motors and cable issues that can occur. Thanks for the info.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Is it a noticeable amount of fuel usage. Maybe you could tell me why its using more fuel without the valves. I didn't really care about the weights saving but thats a good point. I mostly was thinking about the servo motors and cable issues that can occur. Thanks for the info.

then consider SUPREME TOOL MANUFACTURING (STM) valve set ups...they are an operating and easily adjustable valve replacement kit for your sled that still ELIMINATES servo motor and cables...

I
Oct 3, 2001
New Meadows ID
Yeah I have seen those valves, I think they are a good idea. A little spendy though. Seems that it would be easier to tune by eliminating the opening of the valves, not only for a turbo app. but for stock factors as well. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking. Supreme tool looks like its a pretty good company, they seem to make some cool stuff.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Yeah I have seen those valves, I think they are a good idea. A little spendy though. Seems that it would be easier to tune by eliminating the opening of the valves, not only for a turbo app. but for stock factors as well. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking. Supreme tool looks like its a pretty good company, they seem to make some cool stuff.

well im getting my m8 bigbored to Terraalps 900 kit, and my impression that if l wanted to make any powervalve changes from stock,and stock is the first option,that the STM valves really work well...so what the heck im going for the STM...l just don;t want the hassle of the cables and servo to let me down...and the STM can be set easily for any rpm opening and syncronizing seems easy...oh well l hope for the best...guess the reason for swap forums etc is for when we make a miscall:eek:

2strokeboost

Nov 26, 2007
alberta, canada

not sure exactly why more fuel being used but saw the same thing on my 2003 mountain cat 900 when we were tieing the powervalves open. usually 50-60 miles a trip and carrying extra fuel but thats wide open all day

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
The reason more fuel is used is the exhaust port is WIDE OPEN all the time. You dump fuel out the open port at low and mid RPM. There is a reason all high output 2 strokes have variable exhaust valves. Just talking them off is a bad idea. Most electric valves run closed until a set RPM, then open all the way. The cat 1000 has 3 positions. In my opinion, something like the STM ski-doo RAVE style valves that progressively open as RPM increases would give you better overall performance than just taking them off entirely.

I can't speak to your turbo question. I assume either of these would effect the amount of air the turbo gets and thus the air going into the motor. In theory either type would be a more gentle boost transition over the RPM range than open/close type valves.

Last edited:
Premium Features