• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Drivetrain update

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I agree it's been beaten, yet Doo guys still seem to think anything and everything we have now is thanks to Doo which is far from the truth. As to 2003, I know what your referring to, yet fact of the matter is that the fast blade was the first rider forward sled in the late 90's. It was just ahead of it's time. Maybe you ought to research a bit without the Doo shades on.

I'll wear my Doo shades if I want, thanks though.

The Blade was not rider forward in my opinion. If it was rider forward like the Rev it probably would've made it. And I am sure for other reasons it didn't make it as well.

Racing style today, riding style ect. is attributed directly to the 2003 Rev and Blair Morgan. There is no denying it. It enabled riders to stand up more frequently. Unfortunately, it took the other big manufacturers a long while; over five years to come out with something rider forward. Doo was already on their 2nd gen rider forward by the time the others caught the REV.

Doo hasn't innovated everything, I don't think I ever heard a Doo faithful claim such a thing but there are facts you can't argue.

There is nothing wrong with the "wobble" it makes the system work. A gentleman from Quebec posted his mileage on his '17 850. 15,000 some KM nothing replaced except common wear parts. The system works.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I'll wear my Doo shades if I want, thanks though.

The Blade was not rider forward in my opinion. If it was rider forward like the Rev it probably would've made it. And I am sure for other reasons it didn't make it as well.

Racing style today, riding style ect. is attributed directly to the 2003 Rev and Blair Morgan. There is no denying it. It enabled riders to stand up more frequently. Unfortunately, it took the other big manufacturers a long while; over five years to come out with something rider forward. Doo was already on their 2nd gen rider forward by the time the others caught the REV.

Doo hasn't innovated everything, I don't think I ever heard a Doo faithful claim such a thing but there are facts you can't argue.

There is nothing wrong with the "wobble" it makes the system work. A gentleman from Quebec posted his mileage on his '17 850. 15,000 some KM nothing replaced except common wear parts. The system works.

If the rev was so great and so far advanced that it took so long for everyone to catch up, how come the old school hood and belly pan m-series was top mtn sled from '05-'11? After that time frame poo picked up where cat left off being number one in the hills. Doo seems to be doing just enough innovating these days to hang in their, but not take that title.

Imo the rev was a bit to rider forward for mtn riding and made it a bit awkward. they seem to be slowly working it back some though I haven't rode the 850 personally yet to see how it compares. Cat and poo seem to have found a good balance on rider forward, but not to rider forward.

I see it quite often, Doo guys thinking everything and anything sledding is thanks to Doo. Not so much on here, but Facebook pages are pretty bad.

I won't argue that Doo hasn't made contributions, heck, as recent as the shot start system, but fact is all brands have gave us something to get here. Cat got it all heading in the right direction though, in the 60's with aluminum chassis, slide rail susp, and moving the engine into the belly pan.

Guess I should apologise for derailling the thread, we can go back to talking bout blowing belts and changing clutch springs

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Nothing wrong with the wobble LOL. Is that why I consistently out sidehilled by buddy on a T3 174 riding a '10 M8 153? The wobble introduces instability and hurts sidehill capabilities. It is a great tool for beginners to get the sled to lay over but ruins the sled for more advanced riders, hence the aftermarket providing several solutions to eliminate the wobble bottom. It isn't really a system as it is a band aid for an ill handling chassis...

I wouldn't worry about the derail. Christopher had started an identical thread days ahead of this one. His may still be on track....

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Yeah it doesn't need to blabbed about anymore. Nobody is changing their minds here based off what the other guy says.

So I present my opinion...

Fact: Doo first rider forward sled 2003
Fact: Arctic Cat joined in 2008 with the SnoPro race sled
Fact: All sleds are rider forward today

Draw your own conclusion based off those facts and I think it becomes reasonable to use 2003 as the year that changed a lot.

Maybe the rev chassis didn't make the best mountain sled I have no idea, but it made a hell of a trail sled. The harder you push the sled, the easier it is to ride. Cool so Polaris introduces their rider forward design and now that they have the concept from Ski-doo they hit a homerun 7 years later (2011) in the mountain. All while Doo in 2008 releases the XP chassis which I think you are backwards, they became more rider forward. Especially from the Rev chassis to the XP you sat way more forward over the skis.

A gentleman from zbroz racing told me at haydays that Ski-doo's torsion spring rear end works great. What it lacks is adjustability, that is it. Ski-doo's torsion springs setup is plenty capable.

Also, we are talking about a different "wobble" than each other. The wobble you refer to has to do with tMotion which most people really do enjoy. Personal experience has not given definitive evidence that tMotion negatively affects sidehilling when matched with flexedge.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Just waiting for snowmobiler’s grandma to show up now and outride all you guys....

:D

There were 6 in the group … Ages 12 to 50. Sleds SLP 727 Polaris 155 , two turbos , M1000 , couple stock Polaris. Then met a guy on a new SKiDoo said he was 80 years old BY HIMSELF.

That 80 year old guy rode circles around us … one of the turbo guys whacked a tree trying to keep up with the old guy on a SKIDOO !!!:face-icon-small-sho

Still laughing about his skill :face-icon-small-win

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
A gentleman from zbroz racing told me at haydays that Ski-doo's torsion spring rear end works great. What it lacks is adjustability, that is it. Ski-doo's torsion springs setup is plenty capable.

Yes it can work really well, but either way, going from two torsion springs to one coil spring is a good way to save some weight.

Having had sleds with both types I still prefer coil springs, they seem to be easier to tune and if you have to change rear skid spring(s), which most actually do, changing one is cheaper than two.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Yes it can work really well, but either way, going from two torsion springs to one coil spring is a good way to save some weight.

Having had sleds with both types I still prefer coil springs, they seem to be easier to tune and if you have to change rear skid spring(s), which most actually do, changing one is cheaper than two.

Exactly, and for most rider the torsion spring setup works just fine.

That is how Ski-doo likely sees it. It works great for most riders and plus they can leave opportunity open for aftermarket companies to offer a coil spring system.

As for the 2019 updates, I am excited to get the updates and see if they work. I have a 2018 that let one go at 110 miles. Haven't filed a warranty claim yet. But hope to be able to get the new dampers under warranty along with the new clutch spring and see if that solves the issue. I also will be recording data using the Grip-N-Rip alignment tool. Before and after updates are completed. I am also excited to see what the cost will be of the vent kit/system that the '19s come with from the factory.

Last edited:
F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Ski doo's are rider FRONT, which works well for a few people if they can get the clutching right.

Premium Features