• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris or Artic Cat

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
My mom is getting a new sled, which sled should she get? Any input is thanked, what sled do you ride, and which sled do you feel the best on.(iq and m series chassi) She will be off the trail more than on the trail, most days. we have it narrowed down to those two, so advice is thanked.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
My wife choose the IQ RMK 600, and here was a few of the deciding factors.

1. Seat, the IQ seat is narrow up top, fits a woman better than the couch's on other sleds (wifes statement, not mine)
2. Balance, the sled overall does everything well, its easy to sidehill, easy starting, and has PERC
3. She liked the available features, (storage, etc)
4. Modability, lots of proven setups out there from companies like Carl's Cycle and others who have lots of upgrades that are resonably priced and greatly improve the sled. This was more important to me, but now try and take her Carl's valved floats away....... good luck :)
5. Price and parts service, we were able to get a better deal on the Polaris and parts from a dealer we are comfortable with.

Hope this helps you decide on a new sled.

I
Mar 26, 2008
Proctor MN
My wife choose the IQ RMK 600, and here was a few of the deciding factors.

1. Seat, the IQ seat is narrow up top, fits a woman better than the couch's on other sleds (wifes statement, not mine)
2. Balance, the sled overall does everything well, its easy to sidehill, easy starting, and has PERC
3. She liked the available features, (storage, etc)
4. Modability, lots of proven setups out there from companies like Carl's Cycle and others who have lots of upgrades that are resonably priced and greatly improve the sled. This was more important to me, but now try and take her Carl's valved floats away....... good luck :)
5. Price and parts service, we were able to get a better deal on the Polaris and parts from a dealer we are comfortable with.

I did say those things...and I agree-- Not just because he is my husband, but he is right. I think the seats on the IQ are easier to move around on, I didn't like the feeling of doing the splits while trying to ride. The IQ is easier to control for me. I also do enjoy the small yet useful storage of the IQ. I do realize that if you are looking at the 09 IQ, you do lose storage under the seat, which only leaves you with a small compartment by your right kneee, unless you decided to add a bag somewhere.
PERC--I can't live without my PERC-- My husbands mod sled doesn't have it and everytime we ride I ask him how long until he gets it. It takes a lot out of me to be dragging a sled off the trailer, I end up tired before we even start riding.
Ean is also correct about the shocks- wouldn't go back to stock if you paid me.

Does this mean that Polaris is the only answer??? for me, yes. For your mom--it is whatever she feels best on, try to get her on both in the same time frame and areas so she can compare the two. I know many women on here will say cat, that is fine as long as she is happy with it. The key is if she is happy, comfy, and in control of the sled, she will enjoy riding.

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
I love all the brands. The reason I say this is because at any given time I will buy what I want, regardless of the brand sticker on it. I buy the sled that suits my needs best at any given time. I won’t buy a particular brand because of the name if it’s not what I want.
I AM a boondocker. I ride an arctic cat and have never seen one fail me yet. I have seen Ski Doo's stall out and not start, BURN up belts left and right, towed many out of the hills. I seen a brand new Polaris last year bend its tunnel after the first ride. It Was very hard to start, which can put you in bad situations. If you are a women!

my girl friends husband has a 2009 new 800 dragon I have seen Polaris's break over and over. or should I say bend. They haven’t had much luck with it.

I have to say I am arctic cat all the way as of right now until I am proven wrong in person. these sleds have been really good to us.

I like em all. The reason I’m riding Cat right now is because it was the only sled being made that fits me. I put a boss seat on mine, and raised my handle bars. I have had such good luck with them, and It has never left me on the mountain it’s been easy to start easy to side hill easy to climb with, you can put this sled anywhere.

Light weight does not wear you out buy the end of the day I have to say the Polaris is better on the trail!

but I don’t ride the trails so that doesn’t make any difference to me.

I love My M series.

when I rode some friends sleds last year. Revs were uncomfortable. And I hated the xp Loves to run you over all the time, the RMK was to heavy, and I don’t want a heavy 4 stroke.

When I’m ready to buy again I will buy what fits me best, regardless of what name is on the side.

Brand loyalty is stupid and I value my money too much to buy a sled just because of the name. buy one that you feel will be dependable and that fits you the best go out and ride them and buy what every fits you the best.

Last edited:
B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Thanks for the feedback ladies. I was just hoping to get a few more responses to get some more info and how many ladies like each.

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
I love all the brands.
When I’m ready to buy again I will buy what fits me best, regardless of what name is on the side.

Brand loyalty is stupid and I value my money too much to buy a sled just because of the name. buy one that you feel will be dependable and that fits you the best go out and ride them and buy what every fits you the best.

WOW!!! I was just saying something just like this to Hillgal the other day. I'm going to demo, demo, demo this year. I have a Skidoo right now, but I'm not set on buying another one...and it has been a good sled. I want to try out all the different ones & see what I feel best on. I'm looking forward to riding the dragon & a M series...and then all the comparing. :D

Bkinz-Is your Mom able to demo some sleds??? Cuz....really that's the only way to go, IMO. What does she feel most comfortable on???
It's a lot of $$$$ to spend......................;) to not be happy with your purchase........

S

sled*dunk

Dec 3, 2007
Rock Springs, WY
As a beginner I loved my 2006 M6. I felt stable on it, not tippy. The 153 track glided through the powder, before that I had a really short track. Most ladies in my group have arctic cats.
Once I wanted to learn to carve etc my hubby insisted I try his Dragon. I found I could stand up and sit down a lot easier on it and pull it over much easier. I like the suspension much better on bumby trails. Risers helped too.
Now my M6 was a 2006 and I think there have many improvements since then including the seat.
I haven't ridden a ski-do. A lady friend of ours had a Nitro and it kicked her butt all season, tipped a lot, very heavy. The guys were always having to help her out, which was not the case on the sled she had before that. I think she got a new sled this year.
I agree, I'll ride whatever sled I like and fits me best.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
No, she doesn't have the oppurtunity to really demo any sleds. Although I might be able to get an M8 for here to ride for a day, for her to switch between mine and it.
Thanks for the help ladies and gent. Should help my mom out a little bit on here decision.

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
No, she doesn't have the oppurtunity to really demo any sleds. Although I might be able to get an M8 for here to ride for a day, for her to switch between mine and it.
Thanks for the help ladies and gent. Should help my mom out a little bit on here decision.

If you could arrange that...I'm sure that would help with her decision....

You are a good Son!!!!!!!!!!!:p

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Yes hopefully it will help her. The more I think about it, I think she will like the m8 better than the iq. She said she hated my sled, cause the bars were to tall, but my dad's wans't as bad. So I think one day on the mseries should be the deciding factor. also from the feedback I have recieved, and reading other threads.
Thanks, I always thought I was a good boy:rolleyes:

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
With an M-series you can't go wrong....they handle well on the trails and in the steep and deep. Love how they can carve, easy to sidehill and maneuver through the trees. An M6, M7 or M8, depending on power preference and what type of riding she will do. Your Mom will thank you that you steered her in the M's direction!!;););)

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
She said she hated my sled, cause the bars were to tall, but my dad's wans't as bad.

This is easily fixed! lol If that is her only complaint of any sled... that is a short list! ;)

I don't think you can go wrong with either. It just comes down to the little things and which one she will fall in love with. And if between the 2 the handlebar height is the biggest issue, get the M with the adjustable height!

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
So it sounds like the M7 should be a perfect sled for her. Thank you all very much, I know I appreciate it, and my mom will to.
Now all we need is some snow.:(

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
So it sounds like the M7 should be a perfect sled for her. Thank you all very much, I know I appreciate it, and my mom will to.
Now all we need is some snow.:(

I think that it’s a good chose, you can’t go wrong with it, she will have a great time and at least she won’t out grow it she’ll be able to ride it a long time… M7 should be a perfect sled for anyone…. Enjoy

WOW!!! I was just saying something just like this to Hillgal the other day. I'm going to demo, demo, demo this year. I have a Skidoo right now, but I'm not set on buying another one...and it has been a good sled. I want to try out all the different ones & see what I feel best on. I'm looking forward to riding the dragon & a M series...and then all the comparing. :D

Bkinz-Is your Mom able to demo some sleds??? Cuz....really that's the only way to go, IMO. What does she feel most comfortable on???
It's a lot of $$$$ to spend......................;) to not be happy with your purchase........

X3...I will not buy a sled because of the brand. I think that is just stupid. When it's my turn for a new sled I get whatever appeals to me at that time.

Premium Features