• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tki belt drive or c3

C

colebob

Jan 9, 2011
Looking at a belt drive on my m8000. Any recommendations . On a c3 or TKI for best working and long life. Thanks

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
TKI. I have owned both and TKI's customer service is a lot better. C3 belt drive on my proclimb worked flawlessly but after ordering my doo kit from TKI I see no reason to call C3 again plus it is cheaper.

C

colebob

Jan 9, 2011
Thanks is the tki all metal pulleys and seem as heavy built as c3?

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
TKI for me. Easier to get a hold of, faster shipping in the US and the main thing most sled guys look for, value. I decided I want different gearing after I recieved my kit. I called and Tom said no problem, I'll ship you what ever you want.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
really happy with my c3. ordered it before tki was out. i live in canada so the shipping was very convenient because c3 was based out BC (AB now i think tho) and his customer service has been excellent. i have a buddy with tki, haven't heard any complaints there either...... both solid, i think you would be happy with either.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
really happy with my c3. ordered it before tki was out. i live in canada so the shipping was very convenient because c3 was based out BC (AB now i think tho) and his customer service has been excellent. i have a buddy with tki, haven't heard any complaints there either...... both solid, i think you would be happy with either.

with the dollar difference, shipping and duty the c3 in canada is cheaper, ive priced out kurts, c3 and tki to my door and c3 will be the one if i got that direction (i have a polaris btw)

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
TKI on mine but haven't rode it yet. Great customer service and offered to change out pulleys if my gearing wasn't working. Had it in 5 days or so and that's crossing the border and customs. Paid under 1g to my door with a extra belt.

M

M8 Turbo

Jan 2, 2014
gods counrty
TKI

TKI for me as well 1110 canadian to my door with an extra belt not to bad and able to change gear out after i try it that is good customer service.

S

samsquatch47

Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul, AB
Has anybody used either of these with big bores/turbos? If so how do they hold up ?

Running the C3 in my 12' race gas TSS turboed M8. Only advice is don't set it too tight! That's the only thing I think that hurts these. my top bearing seized and wrecked my driveshaft after 2 weekends... And TSS set it up. Plus I double checked the tension. Must have been a bad bearing. Still totally backwards from a chain. The pulleys expand when hot causing the belt to tighten up.
I did the oil delete too. Love the extra room in there now and runs way cleaner with premix. No more smoking out the enclosed trailer.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Running the C3 in my 12' race gas TSS turboed M8. Only advice is don't set it too tight! That's the only thing I think that hurts these. my top bearing seized and wrecked my driveshaft after 2 weekends... And TSS set it up. Plus I double checked the tension. Must have been a bad bearing. Still totally backwards from a chain. The pulleys expand when hot causing the belt to tighten up.
I did the oil delete too. Love the extra room in there now and runs way cleaner with premix. No more smoking out the enclosed trailer.

Sam is right on this one. With the belt drives the case and pulleys expand, so watch your tension carefully on break-in. The proper deflection should be set when the sled is good and hot. Run a little loose from the start and check/set tension a few times once the sled has really warmed up. TKI instructions say 3/8 - 1/2 inch deflection at break-in, then check a few times when the sled is hot, then set it to the 1/4 inch deflection. Most-likely when the sled is cold the deflection will be greater then a 1/4 inch, just leave it. As with everything some may expand more then others.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Thermal expansion seems to be a bigger deal on the drive train than it used to be with the use of magnesium chaincases. Depending on the alloys used, the thermal expansion coefficient of cast magnesium is 7%-36% greater than cast aluminum. With the front heat exchanger being right behind the chaincase and underhood heat build up, the center to center distance of the track shaft and the jackshaft has the potential to change significantly.

I did a little quick math to demonstrate the change we are looking at in a belt drive system:
Thermal coefficient of expansion of cast magnesium = 14.5microin/in/degreeF
Thermal coefficient of expansion of 6061 aluminum (pulley material) = 13.1microin/in/degreeF
1in=1,000,000microinches
Assume 100F chaincase temperature change, 50F pulley temp change, 6" bottom pulley diameter, 1.75" top pulley diameter, and 18" center to center distance of shafts.

(14.5/1,000,000)*100F*18in= 0.026in of expansion between the driveshaft and jackshaft.
(13.1/1,000,000)*50F*6in=0.004in increase in bottom pulley diameter.
(13.1/1,000,000)*50F*1.75in=0.001in increase in top pulley diameter.
6*pi-6.004*pi=0.0126in increase in bottom pulley circumference.
1.75*pi-1.751*pi=0.003in increase in bottom pulley circumference.
Now if the belt starts tight and goes straight up to the top pulley and straight back down and wraps the pulley 1/2 way, it has to stretch (2*0.026in) + (0.0126in/2) + (0.003in/2) = 0.060in. This would actually be slightly more since the belt has to curve over and wrap a tensioner too. So we are talking about taking a 1/16" out of the belt length. That translates into a HUGE tension change in the belt since a carbon chorded belt doesn't stretch. Increased rolling resistance and bearing and shaft loads are all a result.

You see this more in both the Cat and Polaris and guess what, they both use magnesium chaincase/backing plate. It's no wonder why some issues pop up with belts, chains, bearings and shafts. Makes sense why one extra click on the cat auto chain tensioner when its cold and problems will show up.

Last edited:
G

gjp

Oct 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Last year there were reports of major vibration with the C3 belt drive. My stock sled already has crazy vibration at idle.

From my understanding the TKI has a pivot-like pulley to work with the TCL flex where the C3 using hard duro motor mounts to stop this flex. Pro's/Con's?

S

samsquatch47

Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul, AB
Last year there were reports of major vibration with the C3 belt drive. My stock sled already has crazy vibration at idle.

From my understanding the TKI has a pivot-like pulley to work with the TCL flex where the C3 using hard duro motor mounts to stop this flex. Pro's/Con's?

Yes there's more vibration then stock with the C3. But it's not horrible by any means. I don't really notice it at idle, I notice it at a low load higher speed situation. Like coasting down a long steep hill. I also notice it more on a smooth groomed trail. That's when you can feel it through the running boards. I think with the stiff mounts all of the harmonics of the drivers and track lugs are amplified to the rest of the sled. Again only seems weird when you first do the C3 drive then it just becomes part of the normal feel.
Hope that helps clear it up.
Oh and who idles there sled after warmup anyway? After that its WOT! ;)

Premium Features