• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Back Country Radio Communications (Non-GPS)

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I've been reading with great interest all of the back country etiquette rules.

We have always subscribed to the rules listed with one exception....

We dont carry radios that could be used in case of seperation.

Why? I always figured they were only good for line of sight (read: almost worthless) anyway?

Is that not the case?

And no, my gal and I arent gonna rush out and buy two new Garmins GPS units with radios as I already have a 60CSX handheld.

What are all of you buying that youve been happy with and how effective are they for you and yours?

Thanks! :face-icon-small-coo

Vince

Last edited:

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Motorola works, over the years the range has increased, I think my first ones were 2 mile range, wow. Now they advertise 20+ miles, depends on terrain, I've had them work as little as a mile and up to just over eight+. I also have the Rino 655T GPS with radio, haven't tested the range, but they are nice to locate somebody else with a Rino, just one more tool, albeit pricey. :face-icon-small-sho

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
right now we have midland gxt 1000, no gps in them but they have awesome range and weather channels too.
they are nice as we use the helmet headsets with them, cant really have a conversation while under power, but its enough to get someones attention so they stop and talk back.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Vince - Good question that needs to be discussed.....

We can't all afford the Rhino or latest Garmin ### (530?)....

In the old days, you could buy a pair of many brands (Midland) that advertised 2 miles, newer ones are 5 miles and some more yet.....

With our club, we've had up to 40 riders with all different brands of radios...As long as the batteries are good and all on the same channel, it works great....

Saved our butts many times....This year, a group of 6 of us got separated.....Rider #4 went the wrong way, with #5 and #6 following...They (we) went many miles off the beaten path, dropped down a chute and found a groomed trail, but didn't know where they were.....Between radios and GPS, we all hooked up again.......$20 bux on Ebay can save you a lot of grief...Anything is better than nothing. Test when you leave the SnoPark.

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
Radio Brands

I've owned a lot of $19.99/10 mile radios, don't waste your money or time, I currently have Motorolas, don't remember the name but they were about $75. Best money I ever spent, gave one to my main riding partner, we are able to talk everytime. They are 30 mile range radios, when they rate radios they rate the distance range from peak to valley. A radio with a 30 mile range will give you 1.5 to 2 miles in timber. So, the higher distance you buy will greatly increase range in the trees. I also learned you need to throw away the re-chargeable battery packs that come with them, they won't make it all day in the cold, also don't use normal batteries either, we were going through a set a ride. I broke down and bought the Energizer Lithium/ion batteries, $8 for 4 but the battery meter has not come off of full on my radio yet after 6 rides, well worth the money. I now have these batteries in my GPS. They just last forever it seems. Also a little sidenote on safety that me and my group have started with our safety gear, such as beacons, shovels, probes etc., buy the best stuff you can find, the kind of stuff you'd want someone to have if your life depended on it, then give it to your partner, cause he is the one saving your life. The Ortovox Kodiak is a nice shovel, has the hoe mode for moving massive amounts of snow with ease and fast. A little spendy at $80, I watched my main riding partner carry a dinky little $20 shovel that couldn't plant flowers in the garden, guess what, I gave him my shovel!!! Now what kind of shovel do you think he upgraded me to after I said I'd wear his!! HAHA!!

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
Another item I have not done, but should. Leave a message in your truck showing which channel you are on. Sometimes the group may choose a different channel than your standard one. if lost, they will know which channel you are on.

Premium Features