• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155/174 swap theory

E
Aug 9, 2017
So I was originally going to make my sled a 163. Currently a 155 3" and needs a new track and rails anyway. So looking at what Burandt claims, that hes running a 163 on a cut 155 tunnel, how about a 174 swap on stock 155 tunnel?
Just to be clear, where I ride is accessible without trail, and if I do run down the trail it's under 5 miles at the very most. So I'm figuring just running no flap. Curious if anyone has experimented with this combo.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Have to check on mounting points for the suspension you only need the flap for cooling but I expect it may be harder than you think. I Would put a longer bumper on it, hard to lift with the track in the way.

E
Aug 9, 2017
Have to check on mounting points for the suspension you only need the flap for cooling but I expect it may be harder than you think. I Would put a longer bumper on it, hard to lift with the track in the way.

I could see a little longer bumper being helpful. As for the rails ice age makes a direct swap, as the stock 174 ones wont just bolt on my skid.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I could see a little longer bumper being helpful. As for the rails ice age makes a direct swap, as the stock 174 ones wont just bolt on my skid.
if you put a longer bumper it kinda defeat the advantage of having a shorter tunnel
who lift their sled by the bumper when stuck? you guys must be strong

E
Aug 9, 2017
if you put a longer bumper it kinda defeat the advantage of having a shorter tunnel
who lift their sled by the bumper when stuck? you guys must be strong

This is a very good point. I never lift by the bumper when stuck. Just nice for my crank lift stand when doing maintenance. But I've got a sled lift so no big deal.

Think I'll just buy rails and a track and see what happens.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
174 drop brackets are farther back on the tunnel. Approx 3-4". Torque arms are different lengths, front and rear torque arms have there own mounting locations. A 155 uses the same location for both. I'm in the process to go from 174-163. Polaris does not sell just drop brackets and no aftermarket. The tunnel has extra bracing at the drop bracket location.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
174 drop brackets are farther back on the tunnel. Approx 3-4". Torque arms are different lengths, front and rear torque arms have there own mounting locations. A 155 uses the same location for both. I'm in the process to go from 174-163. Polaris does not sell just drop brackets and no aftermarket. The tunnel has extra bracing at the drop bracket location.
If the 174 use the same bracket just different spacing their is aftermarket brackets

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

Kmod has replacement HD drop brackets.

https://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com...racket-replacement-kit?variant=12586274979934

K
Jan 26, 2008
CHARLEVOIX
I'd like to mabe go from a 174 to a 155 or 144 for Michigan riding do you have a pic of yours done you could text me 1-231-758-2927. I probably like to ask a few questions. May go to another skid , cut cooler, and shorten plus machine new mounting plates..

Premium Features