• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 MXZ 600 cooling question

8410T

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2012
Need help of someone more well versed on Ski doos than myself. Did an engine swap for friend on 01 MXZ 600. Got he sled running, sounds good. Just questioning the coolant is really moving through the fill bottle as soon as the engine is started. Pulled the neck off the top of the engine and checked where I thought the thermostat would be, seem to be a spring loaded valve that moves when I put a screwdriver in to it. Is it normal for coolant to start moving as soon as the engine starts or do I have an issue? TIA

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
I am not sure about the fill bottle, but if you heat cycle the motor a few times and wait for the rear cooler to get warm then that verifies that you have coolant moving thought the system, this will burp all the air out and basicly replace all the air with coolant, I just did a motor swap and it took three times of running the sled up to temp and cooling off before the coolant level stopped going down in the bottle, you want to be sure you got the air out. I heat cycled once, then the second times got the reves up to force coolant and air though the cooler back to the bottle. Not sure what the accuel procedure is but this worked good for me and when i took it out to play it was perfect.

Good luck!
Myles

8410T

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2012
The coolant level doesn't seem to be lowering and I am familiar with getting the air out of the system as you have described. I'm questioning the coolant coming from the engine back to the fill bottle is a very steady large stream as soon as the engine is started. Acts like a missing or stuck open thermostat.

X
Dec 1, 2007
NW Iowa
Sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck open. I rebuilt my motor this summer and didn't see coolant streaming through fill bottle until I got it good and hot during the second heat cycle. Pull the elbow off the top of the head and check the operation of the thermostat. May be gummed up if the coolant has never been changed.

8410T

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2012
Took the elbow off the top of the head and poked a screw driver into the thermostat. Seemed to open pretty easy. Have to take the neck off the bottom of the head to remove it. Try that tomorrow.

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
This is easy.....and just for the record i think it cirulates that circut till the tstat opens.....but to be very sure.....start the machine and feel the motor keep feeling for a warm up and keep checkin the rear cooler.....if the cooler stays cold till the motor gets really hot(your tstat opens about 110) then suddenly gets warm...your tsat just opened and is behaving normal. I put a temp gauge in mine and i watch it warm slowly till it hits 110 then the cooler gets warm, i will note that i think the line on top of the tstat housing is the return, cause i have coolant temp rise evenly till that opens and then sends coolant down ward towards the cooler. Does that make sence? BTW this is the temp gauge , i wired it to the battery charge circut
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121041994409...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
My sled runs all day at 113 as long as i have snow on the track, best 12 bucks i spent in a while!

Premium Features