• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch spring help

Nov 30, 2011
I have a 01 Summit 800 144x2 with no prior history on it. I decided to take the clutches apart and replace springs/wore out parts. The secondary is a Team with a red/black stripe spring. The primary i can't figure out, possibly seen a spec of green and then can kind of tell were a stripe was on the spring...maybe pink. I'm confused now though because its free length is 5". My spec book says stock should be a VI/YL spring with free length of 6.217".

What should i replace the spring with? Engagement was 3900 ish RPM before, id like to raise that up to 4200 maybe. I would replace with stock color spring but being i have an aftermarket secondary im thinking maybe i should have something different in the primary.

Thanks,
Matt

Nov 30, 2011
I understand the first numbers determines your engagement but i'm not confident on the second numbers. From doing my own google searches i've read that a green/white spring from a 02 mxz 600 works good and that 230/350 is a good spring that give me roughly a 4200 engagement.

You say 160/320...would that not give me a extremely low engagement? Id like to stick with the weights that are in there.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
You will have to adjust pin weight if you change the primary spring, assuming your RPM's were correct to begin with.
160 will engage about 3800RPM, 200 will be about 4000.
If you don't want to do a bunch of messing around with changing pin weight, then I would just stay with the same spring tension you have now.
Stock spring for your sled is a 160/230.

Premium Features