• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 ves - performance

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
2.4 polaris track. our m8 is 2.25"

Does ruth have a website? I've read about his porting before..
2 storke..what year poo track my guess is a 2008-09 track? they suck..you need one off the pro(poo says same track..but the lugs are slightly stiffer and makes them perform very good) or a camo extreme..the early year 2.4's are too soft of a rubber and trench badly...

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
dropping the frt of the skid as well as stiffening it..both hurt deep snow ability...if its a stock skid...buy a better skid..holz alpha..or a racers edge or maybe a mnt. tamer(I would do a racers edge myself)...even the stock poo skids from before the pro(runs a copy of a holz alpha) arnt very good deep snow skids and are prone to trenching...you will see far more deep snow capability by upgrading the skid then you will see with adding 20 hp...(A sled that is trenching bad is just going to trench worse with more power)

I had to drop the front, the ski pressure was unreal and this is very common with mtn converted iqrs. I'm not sure I'd consider how I have it set up as stiff, I did back the preload out a lot when I dropped it. I'm running an 05 or 06 rmk 151" skid.

I don't really have a problem with trenching.

Needing more power to climb out of big bowls we drop into is a bigger problem. Had a couple times this year I couldn't climb out, even with a tracked route.

I don't see how adding a head, porting, and boring the carbs would not be benifical?

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
2 storke..what year poo track my guess is a 2008-09 track? they suck..you need one off the pro(poo says same track..but the lugs are slightly stiffer and makes them perform very good) or a camo extreme..the early year 2.4's are too soft of a rubber and trench badly...

Yes, I believe it's a 09'. I've been tempted to throw some screws in it. I didn't really have any complaints on the track, seems to work better then a challenger 2.25". I thought softer tracks helped with trenching? What about the assualt tracks? A new track is a lot of coin so I normally shop used.. We actually really liked our old A20's in hillclimb.

Why do all the answers I'm getting have to do with a pro? lol

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Yes, I believe it's a 09'. I've been tempted to throw some screws in it. I didn't really have any complaints on the track, seems to work better then a challenger 2.25". I thought softer tracks helped with trenching? What about the assualt tracks? A new track is a lot of coin so I normally shop used.. We actually really liked our old A20's in hillclimb.

Why do all the answers I'm getting have to do with a pro? lol
because they work..better then most anything out there right now...on your 09 track..search on here for f-bombs track mod..it helps a bunch..still think a track and a good skid will do far more for your enjoyment of riding then motor mods right now..good luck...

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Sorry, keeping this chassis, right now I still feel that the IQR is the best chassis out their. Not interested in a PRO like everyone else. I can already spank most m8's and PRO's, it's just the ones with better riders and more power will make it easier.

It's your money, but if you want true mountain performance it will cost you thousands and you will still have a heavier sled with the wrong gearing.
If you love your sled then that's fine, but you really are not going in the right direction to spend thousands on that sled. Just my opinion based on experience.

Your sled was designed for a different purpose, that's why you see the need for improvement. I'm not bashing your sled, it's just not a true mountain sled. If you watch the resale or all IQ's, it doesn't make sense to put much money in one. I feel Polaris understands what mountain riders want and they make models for each mountain segment, that’s why there is the Assault, PRO standard and PRO RMK.

Every once in a while I get a guy in my shop who wants to take an older style chassis and try to make it perform as well as the modern designs. I usually talk them out of it, because in the end the only thing that will be lighter, is their wallet. As AK says, it’s the entire combo, chassis, power and weight, and also rider position. It’s kind of a square peg in a round hole kind of thing.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
It's your money, but if you want true mountain performance it will cost you thousands and you will still have a heavier sled with the wrong gearing.
If you love your sled then that's fine, but you really are not going in the right direction to spend thousands on that sled. Just my opinion based on experience.

Your sled was designed for a different purpose, that's why you see the need for improvement. I'm not bashing your sled, it's just not a true mountain sled. If you watch the resale or all IQ's, it doesn't make sense to put much money in one. I feel Polaris understands what mountain riders want and they make models for each mountain segment, that’s why there is the Assault, PRO standard and PRO RMK.

Every once in a while I get a guy in my shop who wants to take an older style chassis and try to make it perform as well as the modern designs. I usually talk them out of it, because in the end the only thing that will be lighter, is their wallet. As AK says, it’s the entire combo, chassis, power and weight, and also rider position. It’s kind of a square peg in a round hole kind of thing.

Your coming off a edge chassis so for you anything would be an improvement lol. The IQR is a modern chassis, they still produce it, and there have been hundreds of them built into serious mountain sleds. I think what I have is on the edge of being one of the better mtn sleds out their and the machine Polaris should have built and nearly everyone who has built one thinks this also. So thanks for your opinion but this is not a chassis debate.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
twostroke..there was a guy on here that built by far the best IQR's around..period..his were bad ***..might search for his build threads..he knew what it took to make one perform in the mnts...might give you a good insight into what works best...

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
because they work..better then most anything out there right now...on your 09 track..search on here for f-bombs track mod..it helps a bunch..still think a track and a good skid will do far more for your enjoyment of riding then motor mods right now..good luck...

I still have the same problems on hard pack snow. Lets say long set up climb, side by side with a m8, I will pull him until 1/2 up, then my motor slowly starts to loose it's muster and the m just keeps climbing at the same pace. It's like my motor has too much clutch weight and it's wanting to fall off the pipe. I guess thats the best way to describe it. Maybe I'm heat sinking? It is worse in deep snow.

I think I have seen F-bombs track mob, I'll look into it again.

I'm a bit hesitant of aftermarket skids. I had a EZ-Ryde on a M1000 and had nothing but problems, it was one of the reasons I sold the sled, got tired of messing with it, just wanted to ride.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
sounds more like you need better clutching then anything else..when you take off from a dead stop..motor goes to pear rpm, then clutches just upshift..theoretically keeping the motor right in the fat part of the torqueband..doesnt sound like yours is..start with clutching..then see what it does..as for the rear skid I personally dont think much of an easyride..the new skids on the market..make stuff from even just a few years ago look pretty barbaric..

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Your coming off a edge chassis so for you anything would be an improvement lol. The IQR is a modern chassis, they still produce it, and there have been hundreds of them built into serious mountain sleds. I think what I have is on the edge of being one of the better mtn sleds out their and the machine Polaris should have built and nearly everyone who has built one thinks this also. So thanks for your opinion but this is not a chassis debate.

I have IQ riding experience, so my comments are based on my actual riding experience and shop experience.
I'm glad you found something you like.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
That is what I'm thinking also... I know my skid could use some improvement.

I have a fresh primary that I will be using this season and going to be starting out with slp pink and 60 gram weights and TPI 911 response clutch cover.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
clutching is a black art...when right makes a sled impressive..when off...makes and impressive pile of parts look like junk....go thru both clutches make sure they are like new..then buy a quality clutch kit form someone who knows how to do it(you will still have to dial it in for your exact style/conditions) but it will be close...

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Ruth has done all my porting for 10 years. Bikes & sleds. The 800 VES I ran in my Prox chassis was well in the 175 range. SLP twins, SLP head, Ruth porting. FTX bored carbs, billet/Ti M10 rear skid and reprogrammed CDI. My own clutching (baseline borrowed from Ruth). It is the whole package. Like baking a cake. Porting alone is part of the recipe. Nothing to lose by calling Doug Ruth up, Brad and others to formulate/educate for yourself. Doesn't cost a dime.

Do you have any photos of your skid set up? M10 is that the older polaris skid or are you talking m1000?

I do have a hot cdi, from a 05 factory mod 800, which was the one year polaris had a factory 800 racer.

Last edited:

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Do you have any photos of your skid set up? M10 is that the older polaris skid or are you talking m1000?

I do have a hot cdi, from a 05 factory mod 800, which was the one year polaris had a factory 800 racer.

M10 rear suspension:
Originally designed by FAST for short track sleds back in the early 90's. Tison Performance, one of the first custom mountain sled builders used the 141, 144 rails and with their own custom parts/mods put them in all the custom sleds they built. Some of the parts were billet arms and Ti springs from RCS made just for Tison. Fastrax owner Curt ended up with all of Tison capital assets and IP.

CR Racing in BC saw and understood what the M10 design was offering for custom sleds and built their own version of the FAST M10 suspension for the awesome custom sleds that they still build today. Chad even started making some billet rails for the 159/162 sleds.This is where my rails came from and together with the billet Tison arms, coil TI springs. Curt at Fastrax has been building/tuning hillclimb suspensions for over a decade, it was a no-brainer when I had them build and install the skid.

2757437070051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

Premium Features