• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fitting a 2.25" paddle in 04' Vert Edge

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Does an edge chassis require a D&R to fit a 2.25" (or even a 2.5"?) or do smaller drivers work? Would it be best to remove the front cooler and use a big U cooler in the rear w/ the smaller drivers?

Does anyone on here make/sell such a U-cooler? Its for a piped bb ves 800.

I know that the 7 tooth 3.0" pitch are 0.27" smaller radius than the 9 tooth 2.52 pitch, so 2.25" should clear fine, just wondering what experiences people have had. I'm thinking about running a 162 PC this upcoming season. Thanks in advance.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
You should be able to clear the 2.25 just fine, if you use the 7 tooth. I did the D&R cause I am running 8 tooth with a 2.5 track.

Van amburg enterprises makes a edge u cooler, and fastrax can build a custom one for you.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Didn't realize the D&R kit was only $83 from Van Amburg. How was it to install? I read you're post about it, just sounded like a call to them cleared it up for you? Did you remove the front cooler? Sorry for all the ?'s, I've been thinking about a 2.5" CE as well.

Last edited:
R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
Yea its cheap, its just a template though. I had a fried cut me 2 more plates to mount to the bulk head. Its a pretty good amount of work, had to basically strip the bulkhead (pics in the member build section). Im planning on running the front cooler, im pretty sure it will fit, track should be here tomorow so ill know more then. If you do the drop youll also need a chaincase guard, I bought mine from slp, half the price of van amburg.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Does that template keep the jackshaft in the same spot and roll the case backward, making for the 5/8" back movement?

I was wondering if the guard was needed, makes sense that it would at the least be a good idea, a cracked chaincase would not be any fun to recover.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
It drops is a little, still stays above the tunnel. If you want to borrow mine you can, just pay the shipping charges. You could go without the guard, but you run the risk of damaging like you said.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Thanks for the answers, and the offer. I'll PM you if I decide to do the drop and roll, but I'd have to give you a little more than just shipping for borrowing that template! Thanks again, been very helpful.

L

locknload

Dec 5, 2007
I went with the 7 tooth drivers on my 03 ve, I also moved the skid back 1" and down bout 3/4" to get better attack angle. you should also cut your rail tips and run a anti-stab kit. It works great!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Brad Wurston, 1200psi here on Snowest makes u-coolers.

I did the Holz (no longer available) drop on mine, pulled the front cooler on one but not on another, and run the 2.4 with the stock drivers. I put u-coolers on them both.

sled_guy

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Definitely going to run anti-stab. Glad to hear it works well!

Sled_Guy; did you notice much difference between the two sleds with one front cooler in and one out? Just thinking in terms of "plugging up" more w/ the cooler still in.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Going boardin i have several of the guards for a great deal. while othres remove there front coolers i always left mine in . I beleive there part of the strength of the bulk head but that my opinion

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I've never noticed a difference between the two with or without the front cooler.

The first one I did, the instructions from Holz said to remove it, so I did. The second one, I looked at it and realized it would clear so I left it in.

sled_guy

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
Here is my vertical with a 162" 2.25" track. Used 7 tooth avid non slip drivers.
Would have cleared a 2,5" track to.
index.php

I got my hands on a used van amburg cooler on ebay, works great.
index.php

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
2.5" paddle

Well, I pulled the front cooler, ran 7 tooth 3.0" pitch drivers, and fit the 174x16x2.5" Camo Extreme in there. Lots of clearance in the front of the tunnel (about 3/4"), but tight on the top just behind the drivers (looks like about 1/4"). Haven't run it in deep snow, just a quick road ride, didn't notice any issues.

I put washers between the tunnel and skid to keep it as wide as possible for the 16" wide track.

Didn't notice much of an acceleration drop over my 159" series 4 track... but the 174 is ported, my clutches are back in good shape, and it was my first ride in a couple months.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Just factory running board edge cooler and the rear cooler for now. I'll take it on a longer test ride to see if it overheats before I drop another few hundred into this thing on a big U-cooler. On my ride on Saturday it didn't overheat, but that was only a few miles going slowish.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
How did you run your hoses from your engine? Im doing the same set up as you, but wasn't sure how too run the hoses once the front cooler is deleted.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Left (PTO side) footboard edge is connected to the top of the head, I just ran some radiator hose alongside the clutches then in front of them up to the top of the head. I used a few zip ties to hold this hose firmly in place so it doesn't contact clutches. The fitting on the top of the head was turned 180*. The edge cooler fits a 3/4" ID hose, whereas the top of the head is for a 1" ID hose. I got creative with one of the original hoses, a hose clamp, and a 3/4" tube of aluminum to piece the 3/4" hose off the footboard cooler to the 1" hose off the head. Not exactly clean looking.

Right footboard edge connects to brake cooler as it was originally, then after the brake cooler is the overflow bottle, then a T fitting. The straight through part of the T goes to the water pump. The side of the T fitting goes to the bottom of the head (this is the bypass for when the thermostat is closed).

I haven't refined it yet, as the coolant bottle touches the bottom of the hood...

I'm a little concerned that the bypass hose will flow more coolant than the circuit running back to the rear radiator because the bypass circuit is all 1" while the radiator circuit has 3/4" hose/tubes in it. Not sure if I should worry about that, but may need to put a restrictor in the bypass circuit somewhere to increase flow in the radiator circuit.

I'd post pics but my personal computer has died. Hopefully I can get some up soon.

Premium Features