• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

polaris BB water pump belt..Please Read !!!

O
Oct 11, 2010
Belts

Just something to think about guys --- while you have the recoil off look for a place just back from the oil pump and drill a 1/2" hole right above the belt. Now you can look in the hole anytime to see if the belt is still on and the condition of the belt. I cover the hole with a small piece of duct tape --- same color as the alum. housing. Makes me sleep better while riding @ 8200 rpm's!! lol

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
I have lost my access to the Polaris online parts catalogue and was wondering if someone could tell me if the 800 belt mentioned would fit the 2000 700 RMK and 2008 600 RMK?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Just give NAPA the gates part number, good counter man should be able to order it for you. i have not seen a actual napa number for this belt, should be around 9-11 bucks each

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Just got 3 belts for 35 from NAPA. Good deal.

Clarifying here...but if the belt snaps, doesnt your sled blow up because the antifreeze and the oil stop pumping? How can some of you guys have them snap then put on a new one and have a good motor still?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Just got 3 belts for 35 from NAPA. Good deal.

Clarifying here...but if the belt snaps, doesnt your sled blow up because the antifreeze and the oil stop pumping? How can some of you guys have them snap then put on a new one and have a good motor still?

as long as you catch it quick motors usually fine, thats the main reason I ALWAYS run some premix in the fuel,,if ya dont notice the high temp...motors toast.

C
Jan 31, 2010
East Idaho
So I took the advice and ordered a couple of these belts, when I tore in to change out the belt in my sled I found the belt already on my sled was considerably wider than the replacements I ordered. Does anyone know if there was a common update kit for the wider pulleys on the Edge, and how to figure out what belt I have? There are no numbers on my belt and I can't find anywhere that can match it based on measurements. (I couldn't find anywhere to get the belts recommended on here other than Atmus)

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Hmmm....thats weird.

I just ordered and installed the updated gates belt and it looks exactly the same as the stocker...same width and everything.

I had to do a minimum buy of five belts from royal supply...reasonably priced though and since we have two edges they'll eventually get used.

Last edited:
V

Vinnee

Dec 24, 2010
Someone please educate me on what this belt is, where it is and what models it is on. Any Edge 500,600 or 700's or just 8's?

One of the kids have an 800 yet, so if that's the case I'm in the clear??

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Someone please educate me on what this belt is, where it is and what models it is on. Any Edge 500,600 or 700's or just 8's?

One of the kids have an 800 yet, so if that's the case I'm in the clear??

It is a belt that runs the water pump and oil pump if you read the thread. It is located inside where your recoil rope goes. Take the cover off and it is pretty straight forward. Take old one off, slide new one on if there is good tension. The big block 600, 700, 800. Small blocks are not belt driven so no worry there.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Hmmm....thats weird.

I just ordered and installed the updated gates belt and it looks exactly the same as the stocker...same width and everything.

I had to do a minimum buy of five belts from royal supply...reasonably priced though and since we have two edges they'll eventually get used.

They are not the same belt as the stocker, the "GT" tooth carries almost twice the load of the old "HTD" tooth, yes they look almost the same tho

The correct part number is = GATES PowerGrip GT 5MR450-09 it replaces the weaker powergrip htd 450 5M 09K

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
So I took the advice and ordered a couple of these belts, when I tore in to change out the belt in my sled I found the belt already on my sled was considerably wider than the replacements I ordered. Does anyone know if there was a common update kit for the wider pulleys on the Edge, and how to figure out what belt I have? There are no numbers on my belt and I can't find anywhere that can match it based on measurements. (I couldn't find anywhere to get the belts recommended on here other than Atmus)

The only wider belt I have ever seen on these motors was a kit that PSI offered years ago changing the cogs and running a wider belt, I have not seen one in years and PSI is for all intents and purposes out of buisness.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Has anyone bought this belt in canada? I have tried all over locally and no one has it in their system. NAPA said canadian napa and US napa are totally different so the numbers don't work.

Premium Features