• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Prem only" light?

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
I noticed that the "prem only" light is on on my 02 700 rmk. Any reasons why? My 2000 600rmk did the same thing but i couldn't figure out why...?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I noticed that the "prem only" light is on on my 02 700 rmk. Any reasons why? My 2000 600rmk did the same thing but i couldn't figure out why...?

The key switch being all the way on adds more advance into the timing which requires better fuel. :face-icon-small-hap

If you back off on the ignition key halfway, the light should go off and the ignition timing gets "retarded" a bit.:mad:

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The key switch being all the way on adds more advance into the timing which requires better fuel. :face-icon-small-hap

If you back off on the ignition key halfway, the light should go off and the ignition timing gets "retarded" a bit.:mad:

Close but you have that backward. The first click from the off position is the premium setting. 2nd click, or all the way on is regular fuel position. Just didn't want to add to the problem. Yes, when running premium fuel, you can feel the difference between the two setting. We always run the good stuff and make sure the light is lit!!!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
So in other words, run it on the Prem setting on the key switch if running Premiumm fuel?

Yes. Make sure if you HAVE to run regular fuel, to switch the key to the other setting as it will retard the timing a couple of degrees to make sure you don't get any det going on in the motor. They are that close from the factory at lower elevations.

D
Feb 10, 2008
If the gas is from some place like a resort it could be from last year and thus lost its octane rating. Best to use reg. Key position to be safe.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Close but you have that backward. The first click from the off position is the premium setting. 2nd click, or all the way on is regular fuel position. Just didn't want to add to the problem. Yes, when running premium fuel, you can feel the difference between the two setting. We always run the good stuff and make sure the light is lit!!!

Yup, there's a big difference in power, a lot snappier and an additional roughly 400 RPM on the top end.

No need to run in premium on the trail to the hill, but when you go to make a climb for example it will give you a very noticeable increase.:eek::beer;

J

JakeR

Jan 21, 2009
Payette, ID
Yup, there's a big difference in power, a lot snappier and an additional roughly 400 RPM on the top end.

No need to run in premium on the trail to the hill, but when you go to make a climb for example it will give you a very noticeable increase.:eek::beer;

So you would run it in the regular position to the trail?? What is your reasoning behind this??

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
So you would run it in the regular position to the trail?? What is your reasoning behind this??

What I was told a while back is that because the timing is advanced 1 or 2 degrees, the motor will actually run a little hotter, so it is better to run it in regular when you know you wont need the extra power. I don't know if that is actually true or not, but I just went ahead and did it and never had a problem. Also, I just ran regular in my motor pretty much all last season to save $$$, so I didn't use the key more than maybe 6 times all year... but when I did, I could feel the difference big time:eek::face-icon-small-hap

I would NOT recommend running in premium if you do not have premium in the tank, you run the risk of detonation if you do...:eek::(:mad:

Last edited:
J

JakeR

Jan 21, 2009
Payette, ID
Ok I see what you are saying... I thought it might get better fuel milage with it in the premium setting if you have premium in the tank...

I

IndoubtGASIT

Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I've ran mine on prem every mile since my sled was brand new. I just put the "snowmobile" gas in at the pump, not sure how high of octaine this is but i have never had any problems with det. I'm excited to try to run it on reg vs. prem and feel the difference. Since you guys say there is a noticible differentce in the two different modes

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland

So just a thought here but if it would pull same rpm on on reg selection with fuel would this conclude could use more clutch weight????

I

IndoubtGASIT

Nov 26, 2007
Montana
So just a thought here but if it would pull same rpm on on reg selection with fuel would this conclude could use more clutch weight????

It would depend on what rpm your pullin with the prem selection on. Cuz thats where you're gettin the power. You want this selection and your peak rpm to be in tune i would guess???

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
My 660 was between 5 and 7 MPH faster on the premium setting vs the regular setting. You definitely can FEEL that difference.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Why use Octane boost? Here a bottle of octane boost is like $6-$8. For my ProX the sled hold about 50L, so for me the cost diff between Reg(87 octane) and premium(91/92 Octane) is about $5.40/tank.

Premium Features