• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

300 XCW Camso - season start

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Finally, the snow is ready in the great white north. The twins got off to a great start last week. New year's day was a blast up in Sudbury with 6 inches of new light powder and -20 deg C. The two 300s started flawlessly and the Camsos dragged us through the deep conditions. Our simple Amazon helmet lights were more than enough for some night riding as well. Must now finish that coolant handle bar heat project. Running both bikes bone stock with no special provisions for carb heat. No problems but keeping the rides short and close to base to make sure they are reliable. Ran out of gas but got home on reserve - we will now make racks for Fuel cans, Pelican boxes and snow shoes.

DSCN9883small.JPG

B
Good stuff.

Down here, we are waiting for at least 6-8" of new snow before we take the bikes out again as underneath the 2" of new snow, it is glare-ice.

Great that the 300's are running as they should, even with no carb heater(s) or anything at all other than the Camso DTS 129 kits.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
hows your 300 with the smarty doing ben? I ended up putting the neoprene cover on mine as it wasnt enjoying 10 below when we rode, seemed to give me even a bit more consistency throughout the temps.

B
We had it out for a few days and there was no more stalling/dying from the carb icing up at all. Granted, it was not all that cold out and there was NO powder to be found, but as compared to before the Smartcarb, the PST carb heater, plumbed to the Thermobob and with the PST neoprene carb jacket on the carb, no more stalling or dying due to the carb icing up is a good thing.

As for the Smartcarb, I just put the throttle cable into the slide, reassembled the slide/carb top, put the carb on the intake and put the PST Velocity Intake on the other end, kicked once and the bike fired and idled perfectly and the bike runs so, so good.

We're waiting for a good dump of snow so we can get the bikes out and see how they really go.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
How well does the camso kit do at directing the snow down away from the back of the engine? My TS kit pounds the carb with snow. I found some pics of the Yeti and it funnels the snow out so it looks as though it will mostly end up under the bike.

My 300 does great till I get in the powder , then it gets iced up from the snow blasting the carb body. Setup snow was no problem.

I've been debating closing off the tunnel under the tube structure with some UHMW sheet just to help keep it off the carb and brake

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
How well does the camso kit do at directing the snow down away from the back of the engine? My TS kit pounds the carb with snow. I found some pics of the Yeti and it funnels the snow out so it looks as though it will mostly end up under the bike.

My 300 does great till I get in the powder , then it gets iced up from the snow blasting the carb body. Setup snow was no problem.

I've been debating closing off the tunnel under the tube structure with some UHMW sheet just to help keep it off the carb and brake

Last day of the year in cold fine powder I couldn't maintain a warm bike even with 90 cel thermostate and engine covers. In the shop that nite my riding partner and I covered the back of our KTM engines with foam and put plastic sheet on the bottom of the structure on the older tS style and a 19 aro. The next day in same conditons about a 30 degree difference in running temps from the day before.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The Camso kit directs the snow down away from the motor pretty well, much better than the TS does. I had a blocker plate on the rear seat support of my CR500 when I had the TS kit. I don't need that with the Camso kit.

M5

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT

the pst jacket helps a lot as well, when its real deep the snow is that high on the engine anyways.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Not much out there for the 300's as engine jackets go and engine jackets don't do much to cover the rear of the motor. I stuffed a spare fleece in the back of the engine to block the carb from the track spray and problem gone.

My engine temps were right inline at around 150 degrees when I was pouring it to it... I am running on the lean side on the needle as I built a new intake and it draws more air for sure ( I could see it in the engine temps when cruising on the needle , not scary lean but I need to drop the clip 1 or 2 positions )

Not to derail to far but there has been a horse power loss debate between and a couple guys when it comes to blocking off the tunnel but I see both Camso and Yeti seem to have a complete tunnel and I can't find anyone who thinks they have less HP on the ground because of it.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Can you provide a link to the helmet lights please?

The link below brings you to the Canadian Amazon site which shows the two-light unit. I simply strap the mount to the rights side of my face guard and angle it forward with the external battery pack wired to my pocket. It is also available with three lights but honestly, the two-light version is perfect. It will last for a couple of hours before running out of battery on low setting - which is more than bright enough to illuminate everything when riding slower at night. Also, I could see my son's light a couple of hundred metres back when I stopped to turn around and check on him. There is a medium and high setting but I find they are not really needed. I think I'll pick up another two units for the other side of our full face guards and that way we'll have another for back up even though we have a headlight on both bikes. Definitely don't want to run out of light at night and we do go out on purpose at night because it gives an extra thrill of shadow and dimension to the terrain. It comes with 4x 18650 batteries soldered in a disconnectable cloth Velcro pack. A great trouble free light so far that looks every where I do.

https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Light...2CHHCQDRFXM&psc=1&refRID=7F73P1QYP2CHHCQDRFXM

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
I use these lights for mountain biking.

Open the back and fill it full of hot melt glue. There is a big coil inside unsupported from the electrical board and the wire break after a while.

Not a issue when filled with glue ;)

Premium Features