• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 ves - performance

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
It's your money, but if you want true mountain performance it will cost you thousands and you will still have a heavier sled with the wrong gearing.
If you love your sled then that's fine, but you really are not going in the right direction to spend thousands on that sled. Just my opinion based on experience.

Not picking on anyone here.
I wouldnt say that now.... There are some good deals to be had and you dont need to dump an azz load of money, like your saying. Buying a new sled isnt the right answer here.

I'll be honest, I bought my Gen 2, Big WC Triple for $3,000. I bet its almost light as any sled out there. Or close to it.... I bet it would climb with the best and spent a lot less money.... AND its got a cool factor to it LOL.

Twostroke,
Some times all the simple stuff makes a difference here. Like these guys are saying. Airbox, gearing, rear suspension set-up, Primary and secondary set-up, drop and rolled chain case and so on. I have rode some old sleds that out ran some of the new stuff.... All because of tuning

BUT make sure you write down your starting point and changes. So if it doesnt work, you can return back to what you had. Lot of it is tuning the sled. If you can do that... That is 3/4 of the Battle. People would be shocked on how well you do/run.

Its like Drag Racing... How well can you tune and set-up your ride! Thats what it comes down too. Work with what you got first, before you make major changes to the engine. JMHO

One last thing... Use name brand gas!!! Dont use no name stuff.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My LRM 800 makes more than 165..

So what does it make?
There are a lot of engine guys who say you can't make must more RELIABLE hp than ABOUT 165.

I don't mean this as any disrespect, you have just 4 posts here, so I don't know you.
But just in case you didn't know who psi1200 is, he's got a LOT of time with engines. Have you seen his billet 1100 twin? Or his 1640 triple?

http://www.poweraddictionracing.com/index.php?cPath=23

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
When I bought my 2nd hand '98 700 from a local dealer it had a set of psi twins and a hymark head. I asked how much HP? he gave it some deep thought for a minute and told me "about 155" I thought wow, cool. That was along time ago now and I'm begining to think he was lying :face-icon-small-win

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I'm just picky and can't stand my machines to run anything less then 100%. Starting to feel like I'm in a 95% range now that i've got some good shake down rides in, just fine tuning with gearing now and starting to brain storm my next project..

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Got it dialed, rips now, throttle response awesome, runs neck and neck with a piped/clutched m8. Makes stock 800s feel like turds.

42mm carbs - 45p, 300mains, needle second clip
primary - team green, 10-64's going to try 10-66's over reving a little
secondary - red/black, 54.42.46, 1 derlin washer, 1 shim
gearing - 19T/39T
7t drivers/155" track
PAR head - 13.1/45cc domes which I will be replacing with his 14.6? domes soon.

Thanks for all that have gave input.

Premium Features