• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Snowy Range Snow Conditions

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Sorry to move on from talking about the camping trip ....

But there is a ton of new snow and all of the hills are LOADED !!! Heard about tons of Avalanches the last two days. And a bunch of close calls! Ride smart people

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Rode the Madres sunday. Great snow west of the divide. 2ft plus pow on top of a good base. East of the divide was 6" of fluff then crust, then pure sugar. Stuck fest!!

It was warm and wet on Sunday. Probably gonna set up pretty quick?

IMG_27311.jpg

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Did any pits in the madres ?with sugar I can't imagine it being very safe.

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
We dug one pit and were surprised at the results. Snow pack was steady, even though there were obvious weak layers and sugar. Only the top 6-8" of fluff broke. It was on the east side of the divide and a south west aspect. We didn't trust our results and took it very easy.....never got a chance to dig any others. Long story of a screwed up weekend....lol

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Just spent 4 days in the Snowies.
One of those trips where the timing was perfect.
Honestly cannot think of any way that the conditions could have been better.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016

Good on the paper to remove the paywall. For those of us that have been riding in Snowies, it still makes no sense how they ended up there. Glad they all made it out safely.

sledslayer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 13, 2011
One of our local TV stations interviewed 3 of them and will be airing it tonight at 10:00 central time. KELO Sioux Falls, SD.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
snowies conditions

Just finished our trip to the Snowies, from Wednesday to Sunday. We were told that they received decent snow the weekend before. We had 3 blue bird days with little wind. Windblown snow in open areas. Decent to good snow in the trees. By the time we left, most everything was tracked up. Pretty good base where it isn't blown thin by the wind. Road from Green Rock to the Snowy Mtn. Lodge was totally bare pavement. Hopefully, they will get some snow towards the middle/end of this week. Although not on the trails too much, I tip my hat to the groomers. When we were on the trails, they were really nice. The groomers did a great job, with what little snow there was to work with.

kevpak24

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
MN
Headed out to Albany Sunday. No posts here for awhile --- What's the good word? They were forecasting snow late this week. They get any?

skicopper

Premium Member
Apr 10, 2014
I rode the snowies out of centennial yesterday and Sunday and the conditions couldn’t have been better. There was about a foot of pow laying on top. Yesterday was especially good and there weren’t many people up there. Don’t forget about the poker run next weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features