• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stock running board modification

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
Would it be possible to or has anyone trimmed the stock boards to make them shorter in length? The new 2019 running boards have made me think this would be worth looking into. Im obviously not sure how they are constructed, I see a rivot holding the rear brace on. Anyone have a old bent or broken board to see how deep the rear brace is inserted and if you cut the boards 3+ inches shorter if it would still insert in to hold it rigid. Seems easy enough to add a thick spacer and longer bolt to shim it out from the tunnel for support. So if anyone has any insight it would be helpful.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Would it be possible to or has anyone trimmed the stock boards to make them shorter in length? The new 2019 running boards have made me think this would be worth looking into. Im obviously not sure how they are constructed, I see a rivot holding the rear brace on. Anyone have a old bent or broken board to see how deep the rear brace is inserted and if you cut the boards 3+ inches shorter if it would still insert in to hold it rigid. Seems easy enough to add a thick spacer and longer bolt to shim it out from the tunnel for support. So if anyone has any insight it would be helpful.

Main issue would be rear suspension drop bracket strength.

Otherwise do it up

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm told, by Polaris, the 2019 extrusions for the board-bases themselves are the exact same extrusions as before.

Should fairly easy to fab up some replacement ends without getting into the drop brackets tho.

Skinz or BM-Fab ??

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
I have had no problems with the modified factory boards. I have been running these for about three years.

Thanks for posting pics. That is reassuring to know that you have used them for 3 seasons. I have had a hard time finding a photo of the new boards from various angles.

Have you noticed any difference in how the sled goes through the snow vs a stock set of boards? Any regrets or mods you would do to the design?

Last edited:
Premium Features