• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPOT USERS

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
I got my Spot in the mail yesterday, set it up last night.

but i would like to know what everyone is using for their messages for more ideas. obviously these massages are sent to family and friends that are capable of riding into where i may be if i need help

mine is set up as follows:

ok button- general "ok" message for family and friends

help button- "i need help", for non emergency situations(i.e. stuck, out of gas, brokedown, etc) and it is sent to people who are capable of getting to where i may be

custom message- "trailhead or general area i am heading", just incase you decide to go to a different area after leaving home, sent to friends and family

how are you guys setting up your contacts and messages?

Last edited:

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
spot set up

I have one of the original spot trackers. I had to use it to send 911 for search and rescue for a friend that was caught in an avalanche. After the fact I found out that I could of updated my profile with alot more details. There is a detail box for 911. In there you need to put as much details about your group(names, age, sex, description, health issues etc.), trip plans, schedules. Put all your contacts on your lists. Even update your ok messages, your second message, your help message every trip. Make it more relevant to your current trip. Just don't use the same old generic message. My whole family was going crazy not knowing the details of what happened, who was hurt or what. Also you need to discuss with your contacts what to do or who to call if you send a help message. That is why am looking at upgrading to the newest spot connect coming available at the end of the month. You can have all the same features but you can also send text messages one way. So you can send details to search and rescue or the family as to what is happening. I hope I never have to use it again but it sure was nice knowing that help was notified.

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
What was the response time for the SPOT? I have one as well and am curious what kind of response time you got. What were they prepared for? I would love some details about this if you don't mind. I'm sorry for your loss.

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
spot responce time

Well I am not sure of the response time. You kind of loose track of time in a situation like that. But it was pretty quick. By the time I sent the 911 alert and a friend went over to the next hill to get cell coverage to make the call. Search and rescue already was aware of the call and our location. The cell call then filled in the details that they needed. They could not get a chopper into our location because of the high winds and the poor visibility anyways. So after that we found out they were not coming and we were still on our own. So you still have to be prepared to look after the emergency yourself. If we had the new spot connect we could of sent all the details in a text message of the details if we could not of made the cell call.

N

northseattle

Jan 4, 2009
my spot messages

Good thread. Thanks for starting it. I have given it some thought and here's the solution I came up with.

In my 'check-in' message is say:

"I'm ok. Don't worry. If my situation changes I will send a help message. Garmin radio channel 2-0."

In my 'help' message I say:

"I need help. It's not life threatening. Please call 206-753-xxxx. Passcode is xxxx. Garmin radio chnl 2-0."​
My theory is that I have various people set up on my distribution list and they will all get the message. By giving them a conference call bridge to link up on, it should help them coordinate who's doing what.

My 'SOS' message (back to SPOT) includes the following info:

"About me: 42 year old white male. Medical history of xxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx. If I activate this beacon it is most likely because of a high mountain snowmobiling issue/accident/avalanche. My Garmin radio channel is 2-0."

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
I like the idea to list a main phone # for everyone to coordinate through, thats a good one.

For my help message I also mention to look for me along the road walking out. If your buddys coming up to lend a hand and only has your last location before getting in the car you don't want to miss each other if you decide to start heading towards help or a better rendezvous spot. Turning on tracking would help people at home know what direction your moving as well.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
i have my girlfriend as my "main call center" for everything except SOS
we have talked about the situation
im ok- let everyone know im good to go
Help- call the appropriate people to give me a hand
etc

also a useful tool is email
you send your "ok check in" and "help" messages to email and then have email forward them too more people for a better search party or whatever

one thing i thought about is tho
the people you are sending to almost HAVE to use a smart phone, otherwise they gotta go find a pc to figure out where you are, ideas on this?

i want to make this tool as useful as possible
thanks for all of the great input folks

Andrew

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I have read both threads on this. You all have awesome ideas, I have basically used what other people have come up with and changed/customized them a bit to fit what I wanted to convey to my contact list

Check in/OK: "I'm OK, everything is fine"

Custom Message: "I'm OK, delayed getting off the mountain. If situation changes, will send help message. Garmin Ch 21-12"

Help: "Non life threatening need help, notify friends or local officials that i am stuck on the mntn. Garmin Ch 21-12"

SOS: "If I activate this beacon it is most likely because of a high mountain snowmobiling issue/accident/avalanche that requires SAR and immediate assistance. This SOS is either for myself or one of my riding partners. I am a 47 year old male in good overall health and have basic survival skills. I have a first aid kit and survival gear to spend the night in woods if needed. My Garmin radio channel is 21-12."

I also took the email that Brian posted and edited it for my use. I sent it to all the people on my contact list and have called them to discuss any questions they had.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SAVE THIS EMAIL. PLEASE ALSO COPY THE TEXT TO THE NOTES IN YOUR CELL PHONE.

I just bought a new "SPOT II Messenger" device for Snowmobiling. It tracks my location via satellite, and allows me to send a message or call for help by pushing a button on the unit.

Please bookmark these Map URLs

24 hour trip log: SPOT Share page URL
7 day trip log: SPOT Share page URL

How it works:
You can use these maps to see where we are at, they will update every 10 mins. If something ever does go wrong, turn this map over to SAR (search and rescue) by giving them the URL so they can see it as well.

What the notifications mean:

Check-In/OK:
This will send you a text/email to let you know everything is okay. This Check-In/OK text message will go to Tonya.

Custom Message: This will send you a text/email letting you know we are delayed getting off the mountain and back into cell phone range. We either stayed longer than anticipated, ran out of gas or broke down and are towing a sled out..but we are OK. This Custom message will go to Tonya.

Help: This will send you an text/email. It is an indication that we are asking you to send assistance, but there's no need to call search and rescue. If you get this notice, please locate our position on the map and decide the best way to respond....either organize a group to come get us or notify local sheriff's office of our situation. We may be miles into the back country and out of gas, broke down and just need to be picked up or have a non-life threatening injury and need assistance. We will always head towards the nearest Forest Service road and make our way to the nearest main road. We will send add'l help messages along the way so you can track our progress. This message will be sent via text to Tonya, Brad, Jen, Cody and Mike. Email sent to the same people.

SOS: This will send you an text/email, as well as notify SAR (Search and Rescue) that there's a life-threatening emergency & to send help immediately. If you are listed below as an emergency contact, SAR will likely be contacting you for additional information on our trip, location, people we're with, and gear we might be carrying. Please take this alert seriously. If you don't hear from SAR within 20 to 30 minutes of getting this alert, please call 911 yourself. Our GPS location can be viewed on the map, and the latitude / longitude in the notification should also be provided. SOS alerts will be sent to SAR as well as Tonya & Brad via email and via text message.

Communications: In the event of an emergency, please notify SAR, or whoever is coming, that we monitor channel 21-12 on the Garmin FRS/GMRS radios.

Tonya also knows that if I send a "OK" message immediately after a "Help" or "SOS" message that I am fine and the "Help" or "SOS" is for someone in our group and not me. That will allow her to feel more at ease in a tense situation.

Last edited:
Premium Features