• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Skidoo X

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Keep up the GOOD Work..

Can we see pics the the wrecked Bulkhead????

thanks matt

Well here you go. The whole thing is tweaked bad. Hard to tell in the pics.
Here is the story:
I have Titanium a-arms that are ment to break before the bulkhead bends, They work great. I broke one on a early season ride and decided to throw a stocker on untill i got the new one in. Very next ride out hit a rock on that side and bent the bulk head a little. Still ridable for the rest of the season but that made me not want to put a new TI arm on a bent frame. So countless rides later and a few more rocks It was very bad.
The Cross plate that the motor plate(see Picture) blots into tweaked over and slammed into the side of the pimary, Them proceded to grid on the inside of the primary for the rest of the ride. The left side moved in so far that the other side started to separate and move out. NOT GOOD
MomsCamera128.jpg

MomsCamera131.jpg

MomsCamera134.jpg

This was after i bent it in for one last ride. HEHE
MomsCamera127.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the worst part is that thing looks better then my old rev!!!

heck, for fun, just get a bigbored 900 kitty motor in there. easy to build, tune, and would be a hoot in a sled that light!! good for the riding you like!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What size wheels are those rear idlers?

Looks like the old Superbeast 10'ers.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
the worst part is that thing looks better then my old rev!!!

heck, for fun, just get a bigbored 900 kitty motor in there. easy to build, tune, and would be a hoot in a sled that light!! good for the riding you like!

After the last hit my left ski sat 5" back from the Right. It looks better than it is. I wouldnt have torn it apart otherwise. I am not a big fan of the 900 motor and if i was gonna go big than im going 4-stroke. Im guessing ill just go with whatever i find the best deal on though.

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Ok Guys seriously thinking about a two stroke turbo build now. Just for weight reasons. I built my 900 turbo now i think i can build a very good kit with the knowelege i have from this build. Any thoughts on a 600 turbo? Ive heard the 600's are about 20 lbs lighter than the 8's. + less rotating mass. Anyone have a 600 turbo that runs well. Do they run with a mod 800?

My brother has raced a Polaris 600 turbo on the RMSHA circuit for the past few years, and he has even won in OPEN MOD with it, so yes they can make major HP...his closes in on 240-250 at 13lbs boost. Boondocker has good race gas setups for these 600's...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
how goes the battle? got that chromoly coming together yet??

mmm boosted 6-er... start building!!! quick! and now I have a truck that I can drive more then 10 miles on a tank of gas I might be able to come help you work on things in the fall!!

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
how goes the battle? got that chromoly coming together yet??

mmm boosted 6-er... start building!!! quick! and now I have a truck that I can drive more then 10 miles on a tank of gas I might be able to come help you work on things in the fall!!

Haha. The battle is at work at the moment. Should slow down on the next month or so so i can get going on this thing. Im kinda liking the turbo 600 idea so well see. Now looking hard at the 1200 skidoo motor? anyone have any coments on this motor?

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
if you are going 4-stroke i'd problably stick with a yammy power plant, there is just so much more support out there for them compared to the 1200. but the 1200 would be a pretty cool build, haven't seen too many of those done up.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
That is a good point. There is not a lot of people doing these compared to the yamahas. I just love the deep sound of the big tripple four strokes and the skidoo motor is the bigger of the two. The 600 Turbo is probably way more practical for me. Lighter, more nimble, Quicker reving motor are all of the things any "tree hugger" loves about a sled and the 600 is where its at when you look at it that way

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
a 600 would be a bit more ideal for the trees for sure, but one can't deny that the sound of a four stroke on boost is amazing. have you thought about getting a 700, kinda best of both worlds little more grunt than the 600 but less rotating mass than the 800's.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
And I know where he could find a 700 doo motor for so cheap!! ahah.

aero'd 600 in a full tube.. I will stop riding with you, it will be like the nimble of the rev and the climb of the 9.. I dont want any part of following those lines..

Im just gonna start now... josh, get down from that hill, the trees are to tight.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
And I know where he could find a 700 doo motor for so cheap!! ahah.

aero'd 600 in a full tube.. I will stop riding with you, it will be like the nimble of the rev and the climb of the 9.. I dont want any part of following those lines..

Im just gonna start now... josh, get down from that hill, the trees are to tight.

Haha. Now that's funny. I can't wait to here you yelling from the BOTTOM of the hill:face-icon-small-sho. Just kidding. I don't know what to do at the moment. I've started looking and I'll just end up buying what I find a good deal on. The 800R motor sounds tempting too out of like a 09 XP. We will see

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
you need to start on the tube chassic for this, really interested in how this will all go together. Would love to be able to make one myself but don't currently have to skills to even attempt such a indever.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Well, looks like I might be building a sorta double to this sled if life goes my way..

I was cruising ebay.. pretty good deals on 800 doo motors.. MMM boost.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
so.... I havent bother to call you lately, figured I would at least let your ears have some rest.. but have you done any thinking??? time to start hacking.. build season is upon us!! It will be good for you to knock out some of the tube stuff first, as I have NO clue what I want to be doing as far as tube parts goe.

funny thought, you know how bad the rev could dig a trench and not get stuck.. almost flip it straight over backwards and it owuld keep digging?? think how my sled is. think how it will be tubed out!!! and with limiters out and skid softened... got wheelie?!?!

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Haha. The battle is at work at the moment. Should slow down on the next month or so so i can get going on this thing. Im kinda liking the turbo 600 idea so well see. Now looking hard at the 1200 skidoo motor? anyone have any coments on this motor?

Very nice build thus far.

If You are considering a 1200 take some measurements before you go much further. It's a pretty wide block. You can shave some width off going with a aftermarket primary, but it's still pretty wide. Gut feeling says it's too side and the cradle isn't wide enough to fit the bottom end in there. You may need to go to RT Bodywork to make it fit.

I've built up a 1200 last fall and I've going a little further with it this summer. Maybe a thread I put together will help you in some way.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=312637&hl=RK

Good Luck!

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
do a 600 POLARIS R race engine with a turbo, Ez-ryde, fox shocks. Thats what i would do!

Sick sled.

Premium Features