• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backfire issue?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ok, so far this season the 900 has fun FLAWLESS to say the least and pulls like a friggen freight train, surpassing even my highest of expectations for the last 450+ miles.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

With that said, I did have an odd occurance on the way back to the rig on our last ride, here's the full story so I dont leave anything out, lol.....

We got back on the trail after carving up a meadow and a little drag racing, and when I pinned it, the skis came up about 2 feet off the ground as always :)D:D) and then a loud backfire and we were off to the races like normal. I thought to myself, 'Gee, that was wierd'. Another few miles down the trail we turned off and did some playing (climbing the road bank from a small pond about 25 ft below road level) and I wheelied up and came down a little crooked and it knocked the left side- panel loose:face-icon-small-sho.... buttoned her back up, went again, fun fun fun.... Leaving back down the trail I pin it again and sure enough, another sudden backfire followed by the typical rocket-like acceleration I have come to expect from this thing. We rode another couple miles, and took an old side trail that was massively overgrown for the poor snowpack we have down low, so I put her into reverse, turned around, and headed back onto the trail, pulling a WOT wheelie as normal (I like to have fun, what can I say;)).... we then went immediatley down another little trail and had to back up again, no issues, went in and out of reverse perfectly normal.

So I guess for the moment I am kind of curious about this... it seems to me like it could possibly be the tps just a knatt-hair out of spec? Everything still seems normal as far as I can tell, it runs like a raped ape... I am just wondering if the TPS could have shaken loose in under 500 miles?:face-icon-small-sho My buddies went for over 2,000 miles b4 he had it reset last month... could the extra bumps from all my wheelies I like to do have shaken it loose, or am I just thinking of the steryotypical "Ah, its probably the TPS" ?:face-icon-small-con

Any thoughts?

Seemed to run great the last little bit with no other symptoms so I plan to ride it as normal on Saturday and just keep an eye out for any other quirks.

Oh ya, sorry for the long post...... that in itself earns you guys a free :beer;:face-icon-small-coo

Thanks

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
when it backfired, did the power drop off badly and then it take off again or did it just backfire during the acceleration and not cause anything other than small hiccupp, but no real noticable lack in power?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
when it backfired, did the power drop off badly and then it take off again or did it just backfire during the acceleration and not cause anything other than small hiccupp, but no real noticable lack in power?

The first time there was NO reduction in power whatsoever... just the bang and it was over. The second time, I did feel a small 'bog' I guess you could say... but I can't remember when it was in relation to the backfire.

Those are the only 2 times I have EVER had a problem with this thing.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
A backfire in a 2 stroke is usually excessive or unburned fuel, I`m not sure how that would play into your issue. A momentary glitch in spark or something possibly
Dan

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
seth...

i was wondering if you could be more specific on what happened, lol....jk..

have you change your plugs lately...are they gapped at .028"

i had a backfire cruising down the trail when i rode with BD and it did it again about 10misn later and i ended up losing a plug..so i replaced them...well BD did for me..he is so sweet, lol...and i was up and busting trees down in no time..

could be plugs IMO...

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Mine did something similar, but in the trailer at idle.
it was idling juts fine, the it just died like someone hit the kill switch.....It normally starts 2nd pull (everytime), but this time it took 5 or 6 and on the 5th it backfired, but didnt start...started on 6th pull.

After that it was real boggy up to 1/4 throttle(engine was fully warmed up-125*) I ran it a bit more and it went away. I assumed it was some bad gas or maybe moisture in the tank....

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
seth...

i was wondering if you could be more specific on what happened, lol....jk..

have you change your plugs lately...are they gapped at .028"

i had a backfire cruising down the trail when i rode with BD and it did it again about 10misn later and i ended up losing a plug..so i replaced them...well BD did for me..he is so sweet, lol...and i was up and busting trees down in no time..

could be plugs IMO...

LOL, I could try;)

I hadn't actually considered plugs, they are the ones the dealership put in when they did the total rebuild last spring before I bought the sled, I have never so much as taken them out.... I will definitely try changing them out with my spare set if it does it again....

LOL... never had an issue with plugs on my 800, only changed em as pre-season maintenance... so I haven't even so much as thought about them on this thing either.... :face-icon-small-sho

Thanks for the input :face-icon-small-coo:beer;

Premium Features