• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

steering post

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
I have an 06 700 and my steering post/handlebars have about a 1/2 of slop, it looks like the problem when followed is at the connection point that is at the base of the motor in the back. As i have noticed from some previous posts regarding this, pulling the motor is required? The slop is not usually even noticeable once i get out there and am having fun but its more of a safety issue for me, bars breaking at 70 on the trail for some reason bothers me....
Yanking the motor seems pretty daunting to me. Is it possible to remove the tank and rear plastic to acces this point. (i've been an automotive painter fer 20some years i can r.i well)(by the way have any paint questions)I've even thought about sawing an acces hole in the bottom aluminum and resealing.
Also Kraven posted some stuff about cleaning sheaves etc I did clean and abrade mine thoroughly and put a felt tip marker line on the clutch, mine is rubbed off to about the last 1/4 inch from the top, what does this show and how much line shoouuld be left....?
Finally, I've looked around to no avail do they make a "service" manual for this motor with a little help i'd be down right dangerous!!
Lastly, Thanks in advance for your help guys i have acessed this forum many times for help regarding this sled and it has been very helpful!

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
guido

Well, Guido first and foremost lovin yer wifes sled, nice job! Always tried to get me wife involved but its just not her thing... well on the bars the forward and back slop is pretty non existant. Even though the ratchety/clunky design on the "bar movement design" looks like its destined for trouble i like movin em forward and back from time to time. I have looked at the steering schematic where u can order new parts on line, Babbits etc so I feel fairly confortable with the working operation of the steering. So no positives here, but......everything on the top seems tight forward and back, the slop is in the left/right operation it appears to be tight when inspecting at the bars and first hinge point then the post goes down to the "tab" at the end of the post im guessing it might be there, thats why I "thought" I might be able to yank the tank and access that point. I was hoping u guys might have torn that down when youve been rebuilding these models. Last year as i was attempting high mark had a little rollover "yaaaaa..... riiiiiight) and i think i torqued er' a bit. last weekend slammed it again with my knee....

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Not sure if this helps you but this is what it looks like down lower.

DSCF2024.jpg

Premium Features