• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST Member Titles

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
Does it really matter

When the platform for the SnoWest forum changed and my post count went to zero I was momentarily concerned; I thought I'd obtained a nice post count.

As I watched the post count and rep points for other members increase at an alarming rate it occurred to me that the post count went up fasted for the members who contributed little or nothing of note to a thread; just noise.

Rep points seemed to be a game; who can get the most by perverting the system...

At this point remove the rep point system - it means nothing.

Remove post count from the threads; anyone who cares can go look at the members list where it's also documented.

My Sig line says it all:

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Fixed it for ya!

speeddemon;1707871]

Level 1: 0-9 Randy Swenson wanna be

Level 2: 10-24 gods gift to sledding :confused:

Level 3: 25-49 extreme rider

Level 4: 50-99 hill climber

Level 5: 100-249 boondocker:beer;

Level 6: 250-499 two-up :rolleyes:

Level 7: 500-999 freestyle:face-icon-small-win

Level 8: 1,000-2,499 groomer:)

Level 9: 2,500-4,999 mogal destroyer:devil:

Level 10: 5,000-7,499 trail rider:cool:

Level 11: 7,500-9,999 parking lot poser :confused:

Level 12: 10,000+ posts! noob

Last edited:
J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
When the platform for the SnoWest forum changed and my post count went to zero I was momentarily concerned; I thought I'd obtained a nice post count.

As I watched the post count and rep points for other members increase at an alarming rate it occurred to me that the post count went up fasted for the members who contributed little or nothing of note to a thread; just noise.

Rep points seemed to be a game; who can get the most by perverting the system...

At this point remove the rep point system - it means nothing.

Remove post count from the threads; anyone who cares can go look at the members list where it's also documented.

My Sig line says it all:

I know this post will cause some thred drifting.... but i agree with chief who has always given me some of the most sound advise on here. I could care less about my posts, could car less about my red or my green. If you hate my posts don't read them.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
SO if you have a high post count you are a nothing more than a post whore with no good advice? Some off us in the Trash work in front of a computer and it is nothing to throw up 30-40 post a day having conversations with each other. But we all get along in the trash, more than I can say for the rest of this forum

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I poked my head into a couple other snowmobile forums last night and was suprised at how often the moderators felt the need to get involved. anytime there was a difference in opinion, they would come right in like they were riding herd on a bunch of five year olds saying "now boys, lets all get along now". Half the fun of this site IS the difference of opinion......jmo:D
You have NO NEED TO WORRY.
The moderators I will be appointing on these forums have a different job decription!

The behavior rules are pretty slack here on SnoWest, and don't need a whole bunch of enforcement.

But.
Unending pissing matches serve no good purpose either.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
SO if you have a high post count you are a nothing more than a post whore with no good advice? Some off us in the Trash work in front of a computer and it is nothing to throw up 30-40 post a day having conversations with each other. But we all get along in the trash, more than I can say for the rest of this forum
Thats not entirely true.
The problem comes from just 2-3 posts on this site that account for 33% of the TOTAL POSTS ever made on SnoWest.

If I deleted the TRASH BIN, SnoWest would loose 1/3rd of its total historical posts. And that says a lot about the overall quality of posts on the forum.

There is NOTING WRONG with all of us having conversations all day long.

But it needs to be in the form of MANY different posts that really have some content to them, and not just posting for the sake of posting to rack up your post count and build up your rep count.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
You have NO NEED TO WORRY.
The moderators I will be appointing on these forums have a different job decription!

The behavior rules are pretty slack here on SnoWest, and don't need a whole bunch of enforcement.

But.

Well put Christopher!!
Cheers:beer;

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Thats not entirely true.
The problem comes from just 2-3 posts on this site that account for 33% of the TOTAL POSTS ever made on SnoWest.

If I deleted the TRASH BIN, SnoWest would loose 1/3rd of its total historical posts. And that says a lot about the overall quality of posts on the forum.

But it needs to be in the form of MANY different posts that really have some content to them, and not just posting for the sake of posting to rack up your post count and build up your rep count.

I know of a couple people who posted 1,2,3,4,5 just kept posting the number of the post they where on nothing els but a number just to get more post. that to me is pathetic.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I know of a couple people who posted 1,2,3,4,5 just kept posting the number of the post they where on nothing els but a number just to get more post. that to me is pathetic.
That sort of thing will come to an end soon.

Senior Management has asked me to put an end to the endless post count threads.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Thats not entirely true.

That sort of thing will come to an end soon.

Senior Management has asked me to put an end to the endless post count threads.

Wow, and in the blink of an eye you've taken out the trash:eek:

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
Guess well have to find a new fourm to hang out in . I wonder y we have post whores as a grope but shun posting oh we are just like the rest of every day life so full of rules that we cant have funn anymore . Im outie going to set up some place elts.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wow, and in the blink of an eye you've taken out the trash:eek:
At some point you have to actually take out the trash.
So I emptied all of the trash into a private forum.
None of it was deleted.
None of the post counts were effected.
None of the rep points previously earned where removed.

But each of the posts that was put into the TRASH can was MOVED there from the main forums because the Admins on the site thought they were TRASH and wanted them off the site.

I will ask what they want me to do with them tomorrow when I discuss all the server issues we have had over the weekend.

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT

I believe you're responding to my post; that's not what I said.

"As I watched the post count and rep points for other members increase at an alarming rate it occurred to me that the post count went up faster for the members who contributed little or nothing of note to a thread; just noise."

You'll have to judge for yourself if you fall into that group. I was just observing general phenomena.

Introspection is an activity practiced by the wise and mature – are you familiar with it? Perhaps you should have asked “Could he be talking about me? Are my posts just noise?” and come to a conclusion yourself prior to posting.

I'm not against "noise" if that's what the thread is about.. but drifting from a threads subject into noise I object to.

Chief

S
Level 1: 0-9 - First ride on the forum.

Level 2: 10-24 - Learning the slopes.

Level 3: 25-49 - Finally scratched the paint.

Level 4: 50-99 - Due for a belt change post.

Level 5: 100-249 - Poaching threads.

Level 6: 250-499 - Rather be sleddin'.

Level 7: 500-999 - Throttle thumb.

Level 8: 1,000-2,499 - Counter Steer King.

Level 9: 2,500-4,999 - Due for a new set of Pistons.

Level 10: 5,000-7,499 - Probably has a "4M" sticker.

Level 11: 7,500-9,999 - Ask me about my ported chaincase.

Level 12: 10,000+ posts! - I posted alot on Snowest, and all I got was this lousy title.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
But.

Just the ability of a handful of sane moderators to close a thread would make most of these disappear.

I totally agree that any moderation should be very limited to:
1. Ending stupid pissing match/you are gay posts.
2. Deleting spam
3. Moving posts into a more appropriate category. (like for sale, and wrong brand, etc)

Also someone needs to delete a few of the really beligerent people that are just here to start fights. Maybe just the admin.

The rest should be left alone. Lets keep free speech alive on this forum.

B
Dec 5, 1980
Level 1: 0-9 - First ride on the forum.

Level 2: 10-24 - Learning the slopes.

Level 3: 25-49 - Finally scratched the paint.

Level 4: 50-99 - Due for a belt change post.

Level 5: 100-249 - Poaching threads.

Level 6: 250-499 - Rather be sleddin'.

Level 7: 500-999 - Throttle thumb.

Level 8: 1,000-2,499 - Counter Steer King.

Level 9: 2,500-4,999 - Due for a new set of Pistons.

Level 10: 5,000-7,499 - Probably has a "4M" sticker.

Level 11: 7,500-9,999 - Ask me about my ported chaincase.

Level 12: 10,000+ posts! - I posted alot on Snowest, and all I got was this lousy title.

I think I like this list!

And, FWIW, I got my post count the respectable way...I used my powers and changed it in the admin. :)

Premium Features