• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat Concerns

J
Jan 1, 2008
I have a 03 Mountain Cat 900 1m. My first question is, how do I tell if it is a early build or not?

And I seem to be over fueling it seems untill i hit about 5500rpm. I faul like 4 plugs a ride. It will run good when I am full pin but either then that it seems to run rich. Has anyone had this problem?

What are the carb adjusting screws measurements?

C
Jan 4, 2002
Riverton
First of all, the early builds were Black/Green and Grey or Red/Black and Grey with a 151 track. The late release was Black/Red and Orange with a 159.

What elevation do you ride and what size main jets do you have?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC Canada
First of all, the early builds were Black/Green and Grey or Red/Black and Grey with a 151 track. The late release was Black/Red and Orange with a 159.

What elevation do you ride and what size main jets do you have?

You're wrong on that one. The early release 900's had a one piece tunnel, no grip holes on the running boards, different jetting and a few other miner differences. The late release were red/green and grey also in the 151 and black/orange 159. What elev. are you running? What are you running for main jets? What position are your needles in? I run 340's at 3000 to 6000 ft with my needles in the second to last setting frome the top with the stock pipe, v-force, gutted air box and thing can.

P
Jan 1, 2008
oregon
Try adjusting the needle position it only takes 5 minutes. I had the same problem with my m7. I also adjusted the main jets size but the size varies for you riding elevation.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
the easy way to tell is if it has the cooling lines 1/3 in from each side of the tunnel, the late builds all had the cooling stuffed right up to the edges and had round lines and the early has square lines. Earlys had notched tracks for the cooling lines

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
That chaincase sticking below the bellypan and the old style running boards are pretty easy to detect! 50 pilots and the fuel and air screws are on the right side of the carb. Fuel screw is the plastic knob 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out and the air screw is right on the throat of the carb, 1 1/2 turn out. Main jets and needles don't really come into play until around half throttle. If the carb settings are OK get someone to check your TPS setting.

J
Jan 1, 2008
Are these sleds problematic or no? I seem to be having few problems with the sled since purchase. I looked in the manual of the sled and couln't find the right carburator adjustments. I didn't think that the carb models had a tps sensor in it.

I'm riding in flat lands of northern ontario and my main jet is a 330 i beleive. It definatly seems to be over fueling anyways. Ill try what you guys have told me and i'll let you know.thanks a million guys

Premium Features