• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air intake for 2006 900 RMK with _FULL_ SLP Pipe and Bumper setup

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, I've been fighting this since last year.

I have not yet found a way to get a working air intake setup for the 2006 SLP full pipe setup, this means including the SLP y-pipe.

I have tried the Timbersled intake, it does not clear this pipe setup. I have screwed with silicon offset boots until I am blue in the face, trimmed fenders, etc, and it still does not adequatley fit without scraping up against the pipe.

I'm sitting here right now with 2" conical filters and 2" PVC pipe trying to fab up some sort of custom snorkel intake for this, but with all the 90', 45', 22.5' bends I have, I still cannot for the life of me figure out a way to get this to clear the mag side ...the pipe just rests straight against the PVC pipe, which will not work.

I am wondering what solutions people have come up with here. I think that the PVC pipe thing will work, but I am going to have to downsize to 1" PVC pipe .... I will essentially have two 1" snorkels, teed into each other just before the throttle bodies.

Does anyone have a setup that they KNOW clears the 2006 SLP full pipe setup that I can look at? Also, does anyone know where to get 1" diameter conical filters?

Shoot me some ideas, thanks.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
This as as good as I've gotten right now with the snorkel type setup ...

HPIM14661.jpg

HPIM14671.jpg

It won't clear the pipe though ... the SLP pipe just sits on it...

I guess if worst comes to worse, I can ditch the bumper and go back to using the POS SLP intake :(

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
DM,

I feel for you brother... I really do... so I'm not trying to be cocky here...

Have you ever thought that your pipe may be "off" (not properly shaped)??

I've personally setup 2 2006s with the FNI setup SLP pipe/Y/can ... no problems with clearance

I've also seen plenty (at least 5) 2006 900's with SLP FULL pipe sets that use the STOCK airbox...

Did you buy your pipe set new?
Have you ever crashed your sled?

What about the spacer washers under the rubber bumper like SLP recommends for fit adjustment?

PIPE FIT NOTE: Check shock tower and hood clearance. The pipe can be adjusted up or down by adding or
removing the washers under the OEM rubber insulator.

RMK models ONLY:
Remove air box. At the connection between the air box and boost box you will need to
trim the belly pan between 1/4” to 1/2” (see illustration #3) for pipe clearance. Reinstall air box. Install 2 strips of
insulated heat tape to the top of the air box, boost box connection that is closest to the pipe and cover with reflective
heat tape.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
DM,

I feel for you brother... I really do... so I'm not trying to be cocky here...

Have you ever thought that your pipe may be "off" (not properly shaped)??

I've setup 2 2006s with the FNI setup... no problems with clearance

I've also seen plenty (at least 5) 2006 900's with SLP FULL pipe sets that use the STOCK airbox...

Did you buy your pipe set new?
Have you ever crashed your sled?

What about the spacer washers under the rubber bumper like SLP recommends for fit adjustment?

I'll see what it would take to put some washers under the bumper .. I don't want to offset that too far because I still want the ring gasket between the expansion pipe and the y-pipe to have a decent seal .... but I'll look into that, it'd probably only take about 1/8" of inch to clear the PVC pipe.

And yeah, this pipe setup was bought brand new from Carl's Cycle last spring. I've literally only got about 4 or 5 rides on it, and the sled has never been crashed, rolled, nothing.

I did try my stock air intake with this to see if it would clear, no go ...

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I don't know if it's a mishaped pipe, but if it is, then mine is also. Mine is an extremely tight fit also. I've got about 1/2 inch clearence between the boost box rubber seal and the pipe and this is having to run the can up against the chaincase cover (with that Summit Racing heat insulation).

By pulling/pushing the can over towards the chaincase cover, you will gain a little more of a gap between the boost box seal and the pipe. Otherwise, there is zero clearence. This is also running a mag side firenice boot and stock pto side boot on the boost box. All the 05's I've seen have a mile clearence more than the my 06. I run the stock intake as well.

The washers under the rubber will not help this problem as they're more for hood clearence. To gain more of a gap between the pipe and boost box, the stinger/outlet end of the pipe needs to go towards the inside of the sled, which then pushes the can closer towards the chaincase cover. I ran mine like this last year and this year so far without any issues DM.

Last edited:
J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
I know what you are going through. Tried many intakes on my 900 with a HTG pipe. Had the SLP from the start, but never really could get a real good seal, and it seemed like I always had belt dust in the motor. I tried Fabcrafts intake. The one with the individual tubes comming off the throttle bodies with a 45 elbow and a filter on each end. That wouldn't flow enough air to open my power valves. (they were clean). Ended up with a timbersled, which hit the pipe. I ground enough material away so it wouldn't hit the pipe, and heat taped it real well, and it has been working fairly well. I do have some vents in the front of my hood, so it can draw cold air in from. Good luck, I have spent countless hours scheming and thinking of a better air intake setup. Jesse.

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
pipes

Just a though maybe you got a 05 pipe instead of a 06 pipe. They are too diffrent pipes and will not swap to fit.Maybe try another 06 slp pipe if you have a buddy that has one.
FF:beer;:beer;

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
intake

i have a fire n ice with the slp pipe
it is tight but i managed
duct tapa and lots of heat tape

it took longer to seal up the intake box in the hood than anything else what a pain and lots of silocone

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Just a though maybe you got a 05 pipe instead of a 06 pipe. They are too diffrent pipes and will not swap to fit.Maybe try another 06 slp pipe if you have a buddy that has one.
FF:beer;:beer;

I'm sure he has the right pipe, Carls installed it last spring if I remember right. You can look at the pipes and tell the difference if it's an 05 or 06. In fact, some will install 06 pipes on their 05's.

05 and 06 sleds have alot of differences. Motor location, 05 SLP pipe uses stock y-pipe, 06 doesn't, etc. etc.

The 06's are very very tight fit. I'm sure if he tries what I recommended, it'll work. You can get about an 1/2-1 inch of clearence by doing what I did. It all depends on how close you want to run the can next to the chaincase cover.

it took longer to seal up the intake box in the hood than anything else what a pain and lots of silocone

Absolutely!!!

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I'm sure when SLP designed this pipe, they designed it with their intake on it and not with the stock airbox/boost box set-up. Back in 06, EVERYBODY was running a forward/nose mounted intake so it wasn't probably even thought about during the design.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'm sure when SLP designed this pipe, they designed it with their intake on it and not with the stock airbox/boost box set-up. Back in 06, EVERYBODY was running a forward/nose mounted intake so it wasn't probably even thought about during the design.

I just ordered a new front screen to replace the one I had to cut to run TreeDog's bumper .... I am just going to go back to using the SLP intake then try not to hit any trees.

I cannot for the life of me make this work with off-the-shelf parts. I am either going to have to fab up my own timbersled-style air intake but move the heat sheild and filter cone over about 1/2" or I am going to have to run the SLP intake.

I cannot get the stock plenum to clear the pipe offsetting it (silicon boots of various lenghts) in conjunction with the T-sled intake, the pipe actually melted a small chunk out of the stock plenum messing around with the intake boots this way. The other issue here is that when you hit bumps and moguls and whatnot on the sled, the plenum presses up against the pipe ... I am pretty well convinced that this is how my Y-pipe came uncorked somehow, because I fail to see how I didn't get it tightened properly using a friggen' torque wrench.

With that said, using 2.5" ABS plastic and silicon hose, I cannot get a snorkel-style intake to clear the pipe either. Cutting different offsets with ABS, using 45 deg silicon bends, and after having tried all kinds of various ABS bends ... I don't think this is going to work either, due to the same reason afformentioned above. I just can't get something that large in diameter to clear the pipe. The SLP intake DOES hit the pipe on occasion (melt marks to prove it), but it does actually fit. I really don't want to try offsetting the pipe off the graphler doughnut either due to the mogul issuue, you hit bumps you run the risk of the pipe coming off the dougnut ...

I guess the moral of the story is, if you wanna run a 2006 900 RMK with a front bumper and the full SLP pipe, either be able and ready to fabricate your own intake that fits out of custom-built parts - cuz I have been messing with this for like 3 weeks now and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this with off-the-shelf parts that actually gives proper clearances for all the things afformentioned above or just run the SLP intake and not the bumper.

I'm still open to ideas on this, but I think since I just want the f-ing sled to run (it's the backup now anyways) I'll just go with the SLP intake then tell whoever I let ride it that if they run into a tree I get to kill them and take all their money from them or something.

Last edited:
P

Powderpair

Dec 21, 2008
Grand Junction CO.
Feel for ya

I am running two seperate filters that I picked up from Grand Valley Power Sports. I Don't have any problems and can run the heat shield but don't. I am in PA until the end of the month. But call mike at gvps in Grand Junction on thursday he will have the sled there maybe he can help (Good guy he will help).

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Does anybody have any pictures of an FnI intake on a 2006 sled with the SLP setup?

They still have some in stock from the last run they made and if I *KNOW* it will fit and I won't have any clearance issues with it I'm going to order it.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Does anybody have any pictures of an FnI intake on a 2006 sled with the SLP setup?

They still have some in stock from the last run they made and if I *KNOW* it will fit and I won't have any clearance issues with it I'm going to order it.

DM, I don't believe fitment will be any better with the FNI due to the fact that the factory boost box outlet is so close to the pipe already and this is what contributes to airbox location. I think somehow getting the boost box spaced away from the pipe will allow you to run whichever type of intake box you like.

Just for kicks try this. Remove your lower can springs that attach to the floor so that you get free lateral movement of the pipe and can and push the can into the chaincase while the pipe and can are still attached. I also had to cut off the support bracket on the can that bolts to the brake caliper as I spent hours fighting this. This bracket wouldn't allow proper positioning of the can which is what is not allowing the movement necessary to get the pipe/boost box spacing.

Then check how much clearance you have at this point. Then try subtract this distance and try find a happy medium of spacing between chaincase cover and boostbox/pipe. What I did then was used the summit racing chaincase cover material and modified the spring placement so that I came out with about 1/2-3/4" clearence at the can and 1/2-3/4" at the boost box/pipe. I also used a wire tie on my stock intake box to my side panel to also help keep it tight so that it couldn't find it's way closer to the pipe like yu were saying hitting bumps and stuff.

I've run for a year and a half with this set up. No heat tape even on my boost box seal and with only the 1/2-3/4" I still haven't had any issues and or burnt that seal. Suprising

Last edited:

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
So have you found an answer to this or not? May be time for custom plenum on stock boost box? These are centered but could be offset some??

Attachments

• baseplates.jpg
    baseplates.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 50
Premium Features