• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 900 steering linkage questions

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I've got fairly significant play in the drag link rod ends. This runs under the engine from the steering post to the right bellcrank. My questions are : 1) Do I absolutely have to remove the engine to change the rod ends or have any of you figured out a trick to change them with the engine in place ? 2) I have not purchased the new parts yet and can't really tell by looking at the old parts in place, so I'm curious - are they installed in a way that even with play in them, they won't pop apart ? If that's the case, I'll leave them until the end of the season. The parts I'm referring to are #'s 9 & 10 in the attached parts diagram.
9743b07.gif

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
My drag link was loose where it connects to the steering post last year. They cant come apart completly and I do belive you will have to pull the engine to work on it . especially if your problem lies on the fixed(#9) end. Its not easy to work on with the engine out.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Thanks guys. Ya, I kinda expected that the engine had to come out. Although, I pulled the fuel tank and oil reservoir and was able to get a socket to the rod end with an 18" extension. Could not quite get the angle right to get right onto the nut, though. So, being the stubborn fool I sometimes am, I'll bring a universal socket home from work tomorrow and try again. If I can't do it that way, I may leave it 'til the end of the season since I'm planning on pulling the engine then anyways.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Thanks guys. Ya, I kinda expected that the engine had to come out. Although, I pulled the fuel tank and oil reservoir and was able to get a socket to the rod end with an 18" extension. Could not quite get the angle right to get right onto the nut, though. So, being the stubborn fool I sometimes am, I'll bring a universal socket home from work tomorrow and try again. If I can't do it that way, I may leave it 'til the end of the season since I'm planning on pulling the engine then anyways.

Dont all 900 owners pull there engine every spring ?I know I do:face-icon-small-coo !If your interested in lightweight billet bell cranks, rodstec at that point I have some designed and should have the ready by summer !

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
Velocity, just so happens guido was giving me some advice a few threads down i have the same situation going on and was asking about yanking the gas tank for access. i would be very! interested in hearing what you come up with in your experimentation and will pass on anything good i figure out. ima pretty mechanically inclined guy but it seems a little daunting to yank the engine but i suppose thats what summers are for. One last question guys is that some sort of "turnbuckle" in there at number 10 and 11 for taking up slack?

Last edited:

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Number nine on your microfiche is easily tightened without removing the engine. I remove the drive clutch, use a 18" extension with a 9/16 socket, 1/2" drive. Have a buddy reach under the engine through the hole where the drive clutch was and hold the heim joint with a 1/2" wrench while you tighten the nut with the ratchet. To tighten # 10 on the fische is a different story, the engine will have to be removed.

Milko700 The turnbuckle you ask about does not take up slack but is used to center the handlebars.

Premium Features