• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best chain and chain lengths????

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I carry a complete spare chain for the primary drive on my Yeti. Last year we saw a chain on a Yeti and a chain on a Camso come apart. Since I am demoting my current chain to a spare I was thinking of throwing in a few extra master links so that it could easily be broken down to replace any of the three brands(timbersled, yeti and camso) whether it be primary drive or secondary drive on the timber and camso. Anybody know the most common amount of links for the primary drive and the amount on the secondary drive? I believe camso hasn't changed their drive over the last couple years but is the Aro secondary different than previous mountain horse years? Would like to make this chain cover almost any scenario. If i'm gonna be packing the thing anyways it would be great to be able to help anybody out on the hill.

Also, how many hrs are guys getting out of their chains and what are the most bomb proof replacements?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have all the crap written down somewhere because we do the same thing. I'll see if I can find it.

As for chains DID makes a pretty good chain. My friend has switched to a 520 ATV chain which has a higher strength rating. They are heavier as the links are quite a bit more robust. I'm going to look into that as well.

Depending on brand 50-60 hours seems to be the max, that's when my Regina grenaded last season, but I also broke an RK chain last year on my CR500 after 3 rides so less than 15 hours. Its one of those inspection items rather than an hour item. The old TS EK chains actually lasted pretty well. There was that one year that TS went to I think it was a JT which you need to steer clear of.

M5

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ive tried a lot of chains in my day on dirt and snow. Im a big believer in DID chains. When I had my POS Timbersled kit I was running non o ring chains. The flex in those old kits was nasty and I've never seen a chain in a kit get so hot. You could cook eggs on that b**ch and it never failed LOL. Such a pile and the DID always got me home ! My Yeti has a DID and it is lasting !

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
No snowbike experience, but in my experience racing quad motocross the DID ATV X-ring and Renthal R4 ATV chains lasted the longest and seem to be very comparable. Both require very little adjustment after the initial stretch. Never broke either one in 10 years of Pro-Am racing. They got a lot of hours and I changed them once a year. Tried a Regina non-o ring chain one time, and that thing was roached after 10hrs. That orange plated chain on my KTM looked sweet though.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
CHAINS

CHECKING out the rating and strength of the chains is huge. Every company makes some cheap POS chains. I have had good EK and DID o ring chains when you go to their 8000 lb tensil strength and up models. My o ring chains on my bikes running to the kit and exposed to the snow just don't stretch and I know my last chain is 3 season of riding, just had it off, still tight on the sprocket...........snow cools and lubes.

On some of the TS kits if you don't let snow constantly go through the chain case for cooling/lube you can roach a $125 chain in one good ride ? Sunday riding with a new 2019 ARO kit on a 60 mile road ride his chain s t r e t c h e d , for such a short chain, too much break in stretch I would say ? Didn't look to see what Polaris is hanging on these ?

The biggest chain irritation when trying to cover possible breakdowns is you might have to haul 10 different master links to cover all the bikes in your riding group, I have several spare chains and a whole drawer full of 10 - 20 link pieces out of o ring chains, a box full of master links, and last summer I tried to put together spares for a bunch of us on a week dual sport ride. What a wreck, I couldn't find any chain or masterlinks to really match up correctly. I finally just threw in some too small a diameter too long links so maybe somebody could limp into the next town if it came to that.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Racin station

You can buy both chains at the racin Station for 129 bucks plus shipping. It looks like the older timber sleds are 54 links in the chain case and the arrow is 52 links. Both chains that attach to the bike are 70 links. I’m sure you could do this for cheaper but this is what I do when I upgrade my chains. Both chains +2 master links cut to length. No brainer. DID 520 Vx2.
I’m not scared to go whole season on these chains. I would think 100 hours is fine. Obviously keep an eye on things.
How long are the camso and yeti chains?

Edit. OMG I still can’t post pictures? This update is taking longer to arrive then a timbersled fit kit.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Ive tried a lot of chains in my day on dirt and snow. Im a big believer in DID chains. When I had my POS Timbersled kit I was running non o ring chains. The flex in those old kits was nasty and I've never seen a chain in a kit get so hot. You could cook eggs on that b**ch and it never failed LOL. Such a pile and the DID always got me home ! My Yeti has a DID and it is lasting !

Agreed DID is always a guarantee.... Even none oring on our 85's hold up great.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Camso drive chain is 64, the chain case is 48 links. I'm kind take the every man for himself philosophy you need to pack your own spares, I mean c'mon.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
True, but it would be easier to let your buddy ride his own bike out then to tow him right? I have been carrying a MasterLink and chain breaker ever since I experienced chain failure a couple years ago. I know that all master links aren’t the same, but I bet it would get you out. Or hopefully at least up the steep hills.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My thoughts on packing a spare chain that will cover the whole group: Get a piece that's long enough to cover the longest one in the group, one master link for that chain, motion pro chain breaker, and two 9/16" wrenches. That's the simplest way to replace anyone's chain. If they break one and want the spare, they just bought it. Done deal.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
My thoughts on packing a spare chain that will cover the whole group: Get a piece that's long enough to cover the longest one in the group, one master link for that chain, motion pro chain breaker, and two 9/16" wrenches. That's the simplest way to replace anyone's chain. If they break one and want the spare, they just bought it. Done deal.

What are the wrenches for?

I use some nice snap on pliers for popping master links.

Edit (I guess it must be for turning the chain breaker)
Mine has folding handles to eliminate cold finger fumbles.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What are the wrenches for?

I use some nice snap on pliers for popping master links.

Edit (I guess it must be for turning the chain breaker)
Mine has folding handles to eliminate cold finger fumbles.

Yeah I was thinking for the breaker. The one I have in my tool box is like this: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/756/1473/Motion-Pro-Chain-Breaker
If you back the pin out you can use it to compress the 0-ring master links together one pin at a time rather than trying to squeeze them with the pliers.

I can see how the handles would be easier in the field. Can you use that style to help squish the master plates together? I've never used one.

Premium Features