• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled 3D Printing Brake Cover (pre-ARO)

J
May 24, 2017
Hi all, the title pretty much says it all. Has anyone on here done a 3D plastic printing for their timbersled brake cover? If yes do you mind sharing the plans, or if not I'll draw it up in SolidWorks myself. It would just be nice to have consistent braking (and if it's too hot in the spring you can just pop it off). Also, I'm assuming it would be strong enough since people are making and firing 3D guns.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
I don’t have what you want but do have what you need. The reason the brakes don’t work is there being injected with snow from the track, build this simple gaurd and your brakes will be there every time you pull the lever.

I use the same material my engine blankets are made of, it’s a doubled up layer of PVC but an old inner tube or piece of crazy carpet will do. The dimensions are all there, zip tie it under the brake and up the vertical frame member and your done.

No matter how many time I resize I just can’t get the pic to show full length so all the dimensions show. Something has changed on how to post pics on this forum and I just don’t get it

1B125754-87CF-4494-9560-9206CAFB0093.jpeg B1682954-2502-4606-AD64-1C5E8E78666F.jpeg

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Pics

I still can’t even post photos. And no, I’m not going to use Tapatalk. I shouldn’t need to. I thought this update was supposed to be done by now?
I have gotten used to dragging my brake before I need it but that cover looks like a good idea.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
brake cover

a cheap good fix, is cutdown a 4 qt oil jug the color you prefer, leave the open end towards the bike, the question is making it fit flat to the top of the brake and install the brake after the jug is slipped over, but you have to rebleed the brake, or cut to fit over the line, both work, removing and reinstalling the brake line just a little more sanitary looking.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Brake cover

Another cheap fix. I made a cover out of a round 1gallon w-washer fluid jug. So cheap you can experiment a few time to get all the angles and cut outs just right..I believe I secured it with one or two zip ties. May not be cosmetically appealing (not my priority) but cured all my brake issues on the 16 timbersled.

J
May 24, 2017
munertw, I haven't found one so I was going to make my own. Before doing one that large I was interested in seeing if the plastic will hold up on a smaller section. Attached is a small cover for the left side of the Timbersled (one on the right side is just a mirror of this one). I'm putting it on to block the snow from flipping right up on the pegs. It's already printed off and I'm just waiting to test it!

timbersledleft.JPG

S
Sep 15, 2016
Vancouver, WA
I'm working on a design, just have not had the time to finish it. I'm basing it off the cover that the previous owner made out of two sheets of rubber and a spacer that sandwich the brake disk. the cover worked well but I had to remove it and now updating it. Will likely print in TPU or PETG not sure what will handle the cold better. Just been busy replacing bearings. Maybe over the holidays.

X
Oct 6, 2010
Hum That Will Probably Work

That Will Probably Work nice concept!
I'm guessing the clam shells get influenced by the caliper to keep them positioned?
Are you willing to share your solids model?:eyebrows:
I would love to print or machine some and put my spin on the design.

S
Sep 15, 2016
Vancouver, WA
At this time I do not want to share the design. It is not a very good model currently, I'm going to work on it when i get time. If someone wants one contact me, but now its functional but very rough.

J
May 24, 2017
SlickO, wow, I like your design a lot better than the one I was thinking up. I was trying to figure out how to enclose over the top and physically mount it to the upper part of the frame as well. However, to mesh the two halves together I was going to make one edge male and the other female (that way you can't have one slipping over the other). That's pretty much all you need to change on yours and it should be spot on. Drop those tabs and make the whole edge a male and the other a female (probably only need it to go in 3/16 of an inch or so).

Overall it looks good though! What kind of plastic did you use?

S
Sep 15, 2016
Vancouver, WA
Yes, there is an edge that overlaps the whole way around, unfortunately it is a bit on the thin side and has some delamination. The tabs help with the delamination, it looks like it will work, will find out this Saturday. I do want to reprint it in black and fix a few things. But it is how they say when I get around to it.

Premium Features