• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

high revving

S
Jul 28, 2008
Logan utah
i went for a ride last night and it was the first ride of the year and my sled didnt want to idle down its a 2007 800r summit it was would stay around 3600 to 4000 rpm's and idea's why its doing this?

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Sometimes high idle, you hear that "nun nun nun" the engine surges slightly however cycling quickly could be the crank seal or reed boot leaking, causing a lean condition to make the engine have a fast idle.

Did you have to flick the choke to make the engine idle?

dooxtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
I had a high idle problem and it was a simple fix, one carb slipped out of the boot. Installed it and now back to normal.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Whistler, BC
x2 on reed boots or crank seal. Is there any signs of the pro seal leaking? (crease behind the primary clutch or grease around the clutch area) reed boots like to delaminate over the summer months so a good place to start.

High idle is usually because of a lean motor so don't let this one just slip by.

D
Nov 1, 2011
a check I have heard on the 2 stroke jetskis to check for air leaks that are not directly next to the air intake is a can of starter fluid. spraying it (say from the opposite side of the sled) down on the carb boots or the crank seals will cause the engine to rev up if it is pulling that starter fluid in where it is getting air. I've never used this method on a snowmobile though.

be VERY cautious of this lean condition... although it may feel fine while riding it, lean is MEAN, it causes heat and I have seen a tiny airleak sieze a jetski engine.

oh btw I just last week replaced my carb boots on my 04 (I could stick my finger through them) and I found some on dennis kirk for $21 a piece. they are pretty much a stock copy that will eventually fail the same as the stock ones. the better option is the boyesen rage cage which uses a rubber hose with 2 clamps rather than rubber glued to aluminum. it comes with all new reeds and runs about $291.

stock boots ran about $80 a piece just for boots.

Last edited:
S
Jul 28, 2008
Logan utah
so this weekend i finalygot to take a look at my sled and we didnt see anything that looked like it was wrong and so we just drained the fuel out of the carbs and then but it all back together and she ran just fine idled at 2 grand and didnt idle up or nothing thanks for the help everyone!

Premium Features