• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Horn Ski Area to Host RMSHA Event in Feb!

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Details and official scheduling yet to come, but it looks like Presidents day weekend most likely. RMSHA sanctioned events have been absent from our state for more than 20 yrs, so this is a HUGE accomplishment for those involved. Thanks to Dennis Durmas for making this happen, I will post up more info when I have it. -Cable
:rockon:

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Congrats to all those who worked hard to get it here!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
That is AWESOME.

If the hippes cancel the championship at Snow King this year, maybe it'll move to Colorado??????

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Will be an awesome event! I will be there for sure! (to watch of course!)

Most races have a "locals" class, and if we can get that setup here, I think it would draw a ton of entries. "Locals" classes are not strictly teched, do not mandate all of the ISR compliance rules, and do not differentiate between pro/amature. Temp RMSHA memberships are also available for those who only intend on racing 1-2 events per year, so that would be another option. Point is, don't just come to watch, when you can saddle up and participate!

That is AWESOME.

If the hippes cancel the championship at Snow King this year, maybe it'll move to Colorado??????

This would definitely open the door to the possibility of hosting the World Championship if it were to ever leave Jackson. The proximity of the hill to town, and with Grand Junction being a larger city with multiple lodging/eating options, and an airport would make Powder Horn an attractive option. However, those same rumors were buzzing last year too, and it turned out to be one of the best races ever held at Snow King.

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
That's awesome Cable.:whoo:

You and Cole are going to carry the hometown banner and take it to the top, right???:first:

Sam

I don't think either one of us qualify for the locals class just cuz we live here -HAHA!...But yes, I will be giving it everything I've got to come away with some hometown beatdown!:humble:

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Major SUCK!

I just found out that the forest service has denied a temporary conditional use permit for Powderhorn to move forward with this race. Meetings were held yesterday to finalize certain things involved with putting on the event, and thats when the bomb was dropped. The forest service yanked the rug out from under us citing that Powderhorn could not qualify for the permit based on a nonmotorized designation. We are looking into sate and local authorization for an appeal scenario, but the outlook right now is grim.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
:( Going to hope for the best. Very disappointing news to say the least. Is the "non-motorized" clause tied to the ski area lease with the BLM?....or is it non motorized in that area overall? The ski area has snowmobiles right?

idareyou

Premium Member
Sep 9, 2001
Steamboat Springs
How does that work?? The ski lifts have motors that power them and any groomed trails had motors of the groomers on them. I would bet ski patrol uses snowmobiles there also. This is more forest service BS.

Premium Features