• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Press Release: SLP StageIII kit for Pro 800

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
Press Release:

Here is the text from our website. I have been riding this set up and I have to say it performers better than I expected. The torque band is relay wide and forgiving. Enjoy!

http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&view=description&catalogID=3&catID=81&productID=1553

Introducing the SLP Stage 3 kit for the 2011 Pro 800. This kit provides an additional 14.5 horsePOWER peak with a gain of 9.6 ft/lbs of torque. It utilizes an SLP Single Pipe set, SLP Power Dome™ billet heads, V-Force 3 reeds, SLP High Flow™ Intake kit, DynoJet Power Commander V fuel control box with SLP preprogrammed map and an SLP Clutch kit. This kit delivers the horsepower, performance and reliability you expect from SLP. This is a great combination for those customers looking to maximize horsepower without any internal engine modifications. Compatible with 91 octane pump fuel, head and clutching specifications vary depending on elevation.

2011_Polaris_800_Stage-3-Final.gif

Last edited:

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Dustin,

We here in AK ride from just above sea-level to just over 6,000 feet.

Which of these setups would fit us best? Or is there some tweaking recommendations to expand the range of one or all?

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
The Fourth Wolf

The 54-224 would probably be ideal for you as it uses the 71 Gram MTX weights. We recommend to add 5 grams of rivet to the tip (2g in the inner hole and 3g in the outer) for 0-3000 foot so all you have plenty of room to remove rivets and fine tune your peak RPM for the elevation that you will be spending most of your time. You should have enough adjustment to maintain proper RPM up to 6000 foot.

Thanks,

Dustin

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dustin,

Thank you for the the heads up!

The stock motor peaks at about 150 HP...this would take it to a respectable 165 or so.

I hope you can take a moment to answer the following questions for our readers.

I travel often and ride the different altitude ranges during the corse of the season on my road trips.

What are the differences in the 3 diff RMK kits (54-224/54-225/54-226) for the different altitudes?

i.e.
1) What would be necessary for the owner to have on hand to have the flexibility to "pull and go" at these different altitudes?

2) Is the map the same in the Power Commander for the 3 diff RMK kits? If not, how would the buyer of the kit change that out on the fly? (Can the PC store multiple maps? Will the buyer of the kit have access to the diff maps? Cost to download or does the PC provided in the kit need to sent to SLP for "reflash"? )

3) Is the secondary spring the same in the 3 diff RMK kits?
I'm not interested in the value of the

4) No helix is shown, is a helix provided in the "kit" or is the stock helix used in the 3 diff RMK kits?

5) The photo shows MTX weights, are the weight-arms differnt base-weight or just the calibration with the amount/type of rivets used for the 3 diff RMK kits ?

6Is the Primary spring the same in all 3 diff RMK kits?

7) Is the compression ratio the same for the 3 diff RMK kits (54-224/54-225/54-226) or do they utilize different CR domes?

Last edited:

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
Dustin,

Thank you for the the heads up!

The stock motor peaks at about 150 HP...this would take it to a respectable 165 or so.

I hope you can take a moment to answer the following 7 questions for our readers.

I travel often and ride the different altitude ranges during the corse of the season on my road trips.

What are the differences in the 3 diff RMK kits (54-224/54-225/54-226) for the different altitudes?

We have two different compression heads at this time: One for about 6000 foot and higher and one that is safe all the way down to sea level. The kits for 0-3000 foot and 3000-6000 foot (54-221/222/224/225) use the lower compression dome and are safe on 91 octane pump gas as long as they are run at or above there recommended elevation. The kits for 6000 foot and higher (54-223/226) use the higher compression domes and are safe on 91 octane pump gas when ridden above 6000 foot.

i.e.
1) What would be necessary for the owner to have on hand to have the flexibility to "pull and go" at these different altitudes?

Nothing really as long as they are set up for that particular altitude. If a customer wants to ride a bit higher than the altitude that was specified, all they have to do is remove a rivet or two from the weights to maintain proper RPM. One set of weight will can be fine tuned and will work for multiple elevations.

2) Is the map the same in the Power Commander for the 3 diff RMK kits? If not, how would the buyer of the kit change that out on the fly? (Can the PC store multiple maps? Will the buyer of the kit have access to the diff maps? Cost to download or does the PC provided in the kit need to sent to SLP for "re flash"? )

We have one map for all the kits. We will provide the maps which can be loaded by the customer in as little as 30 seconds or we will pre-load the map for the customer before shipping if the customer buy's the PCV from us. We do not charge for the map as we offer them as a service to our customers who have already purchased our product. Maps can be e-mailed to the customer as a file attachment as well.

3) Is the secondary spring the same in the 3 diff RMK kits?
I'm not interested in the value of the

All short tracks use the Black/red Team spring and all long tracks use the Black/Purple spring regardless of elevation.

4) No helix is shown, is a helix provided in the "kit" or is the stock helix used in the 3 diff RMK kits?
We are using the stock helix on all kits in which is nice as it keeps the cost to a minimum. We are offering an optional helix for the guys riding at higher elevations that will perform slightly better as well as we have a full recommendation for those using a Team Tied clutch. The Tied clutch was a decent performance gain over the stock clutch.

5) The photo shows MTX weights, are the weight-arms different base-weight or just the calibration with the amount/type of rivets used for the 3 diff RMK kits ?

All the 0-3000 foot kits come with 71g MTX weights and all the 3000 foot and higher kits come with 68g MTX weights. Each elevation category has a different recommendation for rivet arrangement(higher elevations=lighter rivets).

6) Is the Primary spring the same in all 3 diff RMK kits?

All short track kits come with a Blue/Red primary spring and all long track kits come with a Blue/Pink primary spring

7) Is the compression ratio the same for the 3 diff RMK kits (54-224/54-225/54-226) or do they utilize different CR domes?

See above.

Great questions!

Dustin

Last edited:

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
I have the stage III on my Pro now and let me tell ya... WOW..... I have never been soooo HAPPY in my life with a sled then I am with this sled w/ this MOD... It RIPS... It now for the first time pulls harder then my buddy's e-tec.. It would always out do the e-tec but it didn't feel like it would pull harder.. If anyone wants safe and easy HP this stage III kit is the only way to fly.... Thanks Dustin and SLP.....

B

BYOB

Feb 18, 2003
Canada, Eh
So what would be required for us that unload at 1000ft and have to ride a 15-30 mile trail to the alpine at 5000-8000ft?

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
I'll let ya know how the porting works next year.. SLP is going to wait till next year to release the stage 4 kit cuz they do there home work before releasing there product.. Thats fine with me cuz SLP does it right the first time.. Can't wait till the snow flies in 2011-2012 cuz my Pro will fing rock even more....

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
So what would be required for us that unload at 1000ft and have to ride a 15-30 mile trail to the alpine at 5000-8000ft?

Buy the 3-6000 foot kit and then just set the weights up a little lighter than we recomend for 3000 foot. Use the 6000 foot specification. The weights have pleanty of adjustment.

Good question.

Dustin

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
I'm sure you are working on some porting for next season, possibly a Stage 4 kit. Hopefully it works as well as the Arctic Cat porting setup.

I'll let ya know how the porting works next year.. SLP is going to wait till next year to release the stage 4 kit cuz they do there home work before releasing there product.. Thats fine with me cuz SLP does it right the first time.. Can't wait till the snow flies in 2011-2012 cuz my Pro will fing rock even more....

Yes, we are working on porting now.....time will tell!

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Dustin, so I already have the pipe and V-Force III reeds, can I just add the head and a new program to the power commander or is this pipe a little different and made to work with the SLP head?

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Dustin,

I unload at 1000ft then ride the trail all the way up to the elevation i ride at which is 5-7000ft mainly,

Would i be able to use the head for 6000ft and above if i am running 94 octane? As i have access to 94 ethanol free pump fuel.

Thanks

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
Dustin, so I already have the pipe and V-Force III reeds, can I just add the head and a new program to the power commander or is this pipe a little different and made to work with the SLP head?

Pipe is the same....you can just add the new map and heads. You may need to go a bit heavier on the clutch weight.

Maybe a little far off but what are the chances of you guys building a big bore kit for these sleds?

Not in the cards righ now....too many projects going on. Could happen later...We are talking about it.

Dustin,

I unload at 1000ft then ride the trail all the way up to the elevation i ride at which is 5-7000ft mainly,

Would i be able to use the head for 6000ft and above if i am running 94 octane? As i have access to 94 ethanol free pump fuel.

Thanks

Maybe...you would have to be carefull and varry the throttle a lot untill you got up high and then you could probably get away with it. The DET would probbably catch any problems from there but there is no garente of that.

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
Dustin,

Is the head different than what you were selling for the IQ's a year ago?

Thanks

Yes and no. The 6000 foot and higher head for the 2011 Pro is the same head we used in the IQ for 0-5000 foot. The 2011 Pro head for 0-6000 foot will be a new dome compared to what we used on the IQ.

Dustin

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I have the stage III on my Pro now and let me tell ya... WOW..... I have never been soooo HAPPY in my life with a sled then I am with this sled w/ this MOD... It RIPS... It now for the first time pulls harder then my buddy's e-tec.. It would always out do the e-tec but it didn't feel like it would pull harder.. If anyone wants safe and easy HP this stage III kit is the only way to fly.... Thanks Dustin and SLP.....

How many miles do you have on this setup? All trouble free?
What elevation , how much weight are you running?
Noticably more jam compared to stock? I'm seriously considering this kit for next season
Intrested in hearing more!

Cheers

Last edited:
I

icemanmg

Jan 18, 2009
dustin can I put the hps can on the end of ur pipe or do I have to use the slp can? Im sy I really luv the sound of the hps can...just sayin

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
dustin can I put the hps can on the end of ur pipe or do I have to use the slp can? Im sy I really luv the sound of the hps can...just sayin

The honest answer here is I relay don't know. The reason for this is we have never tested with HPS products so we don't know if the design will allow our pipe to work properly. I know he makes great stuff, but in the last few years it has become more critical to design a silencer as part of the entire exhaust system. I will explain:

It used to be, years ago, that you could change to almost any brand silencer with out much chance of compromising performance considering that flow and back pressure were less critical when compared with today's design requirements. Now we are required to invest much more time and technology into our silencers and expansion chambers because the flow rate, back pressure as well as a few other factors have to be nearly perfect or we can see a loss in performance. I would say one of the biggest game changers here was the introduction of the modern EFI systems found on late model machines. A perfect example of this is how long it took us to deliver a properly designed performance exhaust system for the Pro 800. With advanced technology comes more time as well as capital investment.

Considering these factors, and the fact that the HPS can is a straight through stinger design and ours is a chambered baffled design, it is highly unlikely that any other silencer will be compatible with our pipe.

Sorry for the long explanation,

Dustin

Last edited:
Premium Features