• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sno sport

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
SnoSport Track

Looking for a Track for a SnoSport? We are planning a 121 conversion to a SnoScoot. Our plan is find a donor machine, Yamaha Ovation, Phazer or maybe an Exciter. Get the track, Skid, misc suspension parts and drivers. Run the track across a table saw a couple of times to narrow it up to 12". The factory track is a 88x12, a 121x12 should work fine and maybe not spin out & get stuck so easy. Watch for the posts on the build after we find a donor.

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Track Drivers

Couch,
Did you change the drivers for the track if so what to? How much was the Snow Hawk track? Oh by the way where are the billet wheels for the kids?

C
Nov 29, 2008
Drivers are the aftermarket replacement ones for the Bravo (square shaft 2.52" pitch). Track was about $500 + shipping + clips (the most work involved).

No billet wheels - kids now have a better sled than I dod when I was 20.

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
stretched a sport with a track off of a snow bike & rails from an Ovation ...
108" x 12" x 1.25" track should hook up much better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51078903@N04/sets/72157624675276134/
Awesome job, Man!! Being doing a few mods to my sons sno-scoot but didn't com upe with the extended track great work.

Maybe if you have the time you could post a more detailed description of the work and parts necessary to complete job. I would love to copy.

Way to go! You have more talent than the big OEM engineers. You created a kids sled they can actually use.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Has anyone figured out the clutches on the scoot, mine is a 1988. I have cleaned, inspected and rechecked everything and the belt still wont go all the way up on the secondary sheave. I noticed that its not dropping all the way down in the primary, this is why it wont go all the way up on the secondary. If I take the nut off of the crank shaft where the primary is and slowly let the primary come apart the belt will go all the way to the bottom letting the belt go all the way up on the secondary. When starting out it acts like its starting out in second gear. Is this the way these are suspose to be. I did look at the six little black rollers in the primary and did notice that they do have little flats spots in them, will this make big difference. Thanks

Oh and by the way, you need to check out the build by Triplemax. Its fricken cool.

Last edited:
S

Stewd

Nov 15, 2009
Calgary Ab
Replace the weights (small rollers) and you will see a huge difference better engagement and it may allow clutches to open properly.

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Clutch Question

I am working on a Scoot that we are doing a 121 conversion on, we plan on working over the clutch & secondary. The guy that is helping me said it has a clutch set up like a Suzuki LT80 4 wheeler that his kids used to race. He did some rework with spacers & grinding the weights down, and the LT80s came alive after that. I should have some answers before the weekend.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Track question for the guys with the snow on top.

Back in the earlier days, the tracks were nothing more than belting with the metal cleats attached. The belting was connected together with a modified hinge apparatus. This is also similar to what Tucker uses on their belted groomer tracks. Something like this:

http://www.flexco.com/products/alligator_rivet.html

I think Tucker puts their groomer tracks together with this unit:

http://www.flexco.com/products/flexco_bolt_hinged

Would it be possible, or worthwhile to narrow up a fullsize track (121"+) and then shorten it to match the existing Scoot/Sport rails? I'm not opposed to the longer length, but if a stock track could just be sized down and use the appropriate drivers, I would think this would fill my need.

The Scoot is not overly powerful so I can't picture it pulling the track apart at the joint if mounted properly.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
T
Dec 25, 2007
volcano-

I think that would certainly shorten the lifespan of the drivers and boggie wheels considerably. Also, the kids might get sick of hearing, clack, clack, clack over and over and over again. my 2cents

-T

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I need to take some more measurements and see if a full size track is even much of an option. I think the hinge method would fit on the outer sections and the center section. I'm also thinking the hinge would be installed between the driver nipples so it would be on the flat rubber portion. Again, not sure if the dimensions will make it fit anyway.

C
Nov 29, 2008
the longer track offers way better floatation - huge difference ..... the sport has no trouble with the 108" x 1.25" track I installed .. have two more too do this season

Premium Features