• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling woes - bad idea?

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Got a 03 800 RMK, the front cooler leaks, BAD. It looks like a big job to pull it, appears to be plug welded on, we want to ride tomorrow.

Thinking about by passing the front cooler and running it, would just the rear cooler with "scratchers" down be enough?

Would there be enough coolant in the system without the front cooler?

I

idajack

Aug 28, 2008
Nampa Idaho
not sure about the poo coolers but my buddy trapped a rock between his track and cooler on an 08 rev 800 and rather than replace it we used jb weld.
800 miles so far so good.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
We'd gladly use JB weld but the cooler must be leaking on the bulkhead side of it's self rather then the track side of it because it seems down and out between the bulkhead and cooler. No hoses in the engine bay appear to be leaking.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
I did that two winters ago on my Rev. Got a tiny rock into it on the hill, most of the antifreeze drained out. Routed hoses around it, filled it with creek water and I rode it hard the next day without any overheating. This was the middle of June, riding in t shirts. Later pulled the track and took it off, welded the hole and put it back on. Been fine since.

Premium Features