• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hand held CB radios

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
The post on Radar Detectors made me think about handheld CB radios which I have one that only has the small 8 to 10 inch antenna that attaches to the radio. I do not have the antenna that runs from the unit to a supplemental exterior antenna on the outside of the car.

Is this suitable for monitoring the trucker CB chat on Highway roadtrips. I think my owners manual suggests the supplemental outside antenna when using the radio while driving.

Anyone out there with experience/opinions on using a handheld while cruising the highway.

Thanks

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Breaker 1-9, this is the "Bandit" speaking. I have the "Smokey" on my tail and need a hiding place, over. :)

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If you're just receiving, a little handheld will do fine. Cheap, battery-powered, small, don't need the ginormous antenna on the vehicle, etc. Don't expect to get any decent distance or battery life when you start transmitting.

The mag-mount antennas are a step up from the rubber duckys, usually need a BNC-UHF adapter to make that connection (~$5, $20 if you buy it at radio shark). If you're going to install an antenna (clamp or bumper mount), just get a mobile radio.

I had a few handheld CBs.... One radio shark rig, it was decent.... 9 freakin AAs to run the thing; and it went through them in about a day. Another cobra HH45WX, used a 6xAA battery pack. That was a real good radio. Dual-watch, 5w output, weather band, backlit LCD, decent squelch. I think I still have a really old handheld that uses about a dozen AAs somewhere.

Premium Features