• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my impulse replica kit

M
Jan 14, 2004
Just wait till the Chinese figure out there is money to be made in turboing sleds if you want to see some knockoffs. That's when people should start worrying.

M5

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
You must think that everyone is a master fabricator and accomplished MIG and TIG welder?????!!!!!!!!

No I don't. I'm saying the real talent came when Paul designed the kit originaly. He is the master fabricator of this kit. Copying it doesn't make someone a master fabricator or accomplished mig/tig welder. Monkey see, monkey do.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
i see your point Zeb, it may not be nessecary to drag a companies name into it. but lets say i went built my own turbo and made it a midmount cause i like the idea. i have never seen, or rode an impulse sled in real life, i've only seen pics that ppl have posted and read wat ppl said about it. Does that make me a copier just cause i made the turbo in same spot as impulses? the same would go if i built my own kit with side, front, or rear mount. if thats copying in your opinion then what does a guy do if he wants to build his own kit for themselves? do they have build the intercooler in the tunnel and the turbo in the nose of the sled or some silly configuration just so its not "copying" anyone?

If your hypothetical was never seeing any pictures of the design of the kit, and you build your own that ended up being nearly identical to Impulse I wouldn't have a problem with that. I don't think this is the case here. The kit is clearly a knock off of the Impulse kit and even labled as such by the builder. There are hundreds of pictures on this forum of Pauls kit and design and it stands to reason that the builder saw them and used them in his design. If he hadn't I doubt he would of used Impulse in the name of his kit.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Secrets

I am sitting here reading this all since my posting yesterday. And I have myself thinking. It is probally pretty clear that there are some secrets that paul has added into his kit. Small desing issues that make it better. I would sure this this is the case.

Also yes he copied a design idea no doubt in that. Did he have impulses welding jig? A impulse header to measure, a impulse intercooler to measure and examine the velocity stacks in? Does he know if impulse is preheating the weld or cooling it in sand? The answer to all these questions is most likely NO.

Take two 350 chevy engines. Plain black engine block paint on both of them. If even built with the same components by two separate engine builders they are not the same engine. It is tricks of the trade. The valve job may be different and one engine may make better horsepower.

Headers may be the same material, but a small design change on the collector or even a bend radius may prove to make huge advances.

These last two things are what companies like Impulse should use to set themselves apart. Dyno time, seat time, and design analysis.

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Common Knowledge.

I worked for a large company for a while that built marine electronics. They also owned a bunch of other companies. They of course had a trade secret form that we all signed to work there. In one of the other companies they owned that built canoes, and kayaks they had a desgin engineer leave and go work for another company that built canoes and kayaks. The Coporation that owned all these companies in turn sued this guy for giving away trade secrets. Turned out the court said that is not a secret in boat building that is a common knowledge. The guy counter sued and was awarded like 4 million. That came out of our profit sharing. Not cool. Either way. What I am saying is that it is common knowledge that:

1. Turboing a motor will give more hp
2. Less lose of heat before the turbo will make turbo spool faster
3. To lose less heat keep the turbo as close to the motor as possible.
4. Less volume takes more time to compress air.
5. A BOV is needed or compressor surge happens and it will wreck a turbo.
6. More air= more fuel is needed for increased hp, See #1
7. Cooling of intake ar creates a cooler denser charge. So an intercooler is used.

All the things above are common knowledge. Not trade secrets. They are building these two sleds to have a good time, and have fun. There are no rules on how much fun one can have snowmobiling.

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Thank You guys who understand i dont have the money to buy these other kits. Im just a poor boy trying to keep up and snowmobiling is my passion and have been doing it since i could walk.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Yep.

Thank You guys who understand i dont have the money to buy these other kits. Im just a poor boy trying to keep up and snowmobiling is my passion and have been doing it since i could walk.

I know what you mean. I think it looks great and I am hoping it will run as well as it looks! Also great that you have a riding partner that shares your same addiction. Would be great to have two sleds that are identical and test different setups right next to eachother! I am trying to get my cousin(who is an excellent fabricatior) to build a ski doo xp with a turbo vector motor. With two people the learning curve goes much faster.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
No I don't. I'm saying the real talent came when Paul designed the kit originaly. He is the master fabricator of this kit. Copying it doesn't make someone a master fabricator or accomplished mig/tig welder. Monkey see, monkey do.

You are full of opinions --- did you actually ever hold a tig torch or weld a header never mind fitting pipes for it ---- My guess would be No:rolleyes:

But then again I was wrong once before:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
You are full of opinions --- did you actually ever hold a tig torch or weld a header never mind fitting pipes for it ---- My guess would be No:rolleyes:

But then again I was wrong once before:face-icon-small-hap
Wow yes he is If building a kit was so easy everybody would do it and save 3-4k. How many homemade kits do u actually see???

S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
my comments have nothing to do with any body doing there own work and trying to duplicate a system for his personal needs. I do most all of my own work and think more people should, I understand he is not calling it an impulse kit but he is using the impulse name in it. that to some could imply that it is the same as an impulse kit and if by chance it doesn,t perform as well as an impulse some people that don,t no any better may assume an impulse kit runs the same, that could have a negative affect on Pauls product. obviously this is just my opinion and means nothing to most. but if a guy wants to do his own work and biuld his own kit based off of any body else,s design thats fine I just don,t think they need to use somebody elses name to describe thier kit. I think he is doing a good job and hope it works well just take full credit for your work and leave Pauls name out of it.

Sep 29, 2008
I like how someone put it earlier....... If he wouldn't of said "Impulse Replica" you people would have been all over him anyway saying it was a knock off!!!!!!! Like 162 said he didn't have one sitting there to copy if you people think its so easy to build a kit DO IT!!!!!! All he had to look at was pics, pics don't tell you dimensions. I'd love to see some of you people build that header. Bottom line..... what is so hard about patting someone on the back????????

C
Nov 26, 2007
If Sledhead162 is so smart and knows how to copy a turbo kit why is he the one asking all the questions and making a knock off? Why would you need a set of instructions or pictures of the header? Maybe its cause he really don't know chit...

T
Nov 27, 2007
Grande Prairie,AB
Charger......162 has not asked any of us for anything on here!!! He simply showed us pic's of his progress. If you read the post that he wrote he has built turbo's before and they worked great!!!!! Give the guy a break and be happy for him instead of being jealous about the whole thing.

I think we should start a new heading on snowest.....The Impulse cult.
They all seem to know everything and are the chit !!!!! UNREAL!!!!

C
Nov 26, 2007
sledhead162
Currently:

manifold pics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does anybody have any good side pics of a impulse manifold ?

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
If Sledhead162 is so smart and knows how to copy a turbo kit why is he the one asking all the questions and making a knock off? Why would you need a set of instructions or pictures of the header? Maybe its cause he really don't know chit...

You want me to build my own kit I have no prob doing it.

C
Nov 26, 2007
sledhead162
Currently:

lean nytro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how do we get our powderlites nytros not to be so lean at full boost 12-14 lbs with the rb3 im running straight av/ and it doesnt seem my fuel reg is working under boost ? any body else have this probleme i did tap my charge tube for the reg. boost supply im at 48 lbs fuel pressure and 5k elev.

TRAVIS,
This is the problem, he is going to have issues and be asking for help with them like its was built by the manufacture. See the post above when he made a PL kit copy, this wasn't a PL kit so don't say it is. I am sure SledHead is a talented fabricator, and most of us would love to save a grip of cash and build a kit if we could. :beer;:beer;

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161445

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163202

Is that why you have been buying up used Impulse parts, why don't you go to pure logic and attitude and setup your own fuel control systems if you are so capable of building your own fuel systems. I also have seen a thread on here somewhere you wanted Impulse install instructions, I cannot find it now, you must have erased. Travis WTF are you talking about, the last couple of weeks these two have been asking for everything from install instructions to used parts to manifold pics, get a clue before acting like a dick, so yes they have been asking something from us.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Charger......162 has not asked any of us for anything on here!!! He simply showed us pic's of his progress. If you read the post that he wrote he has built turbo's before and they worked great!!!!! Give the guy a break and be happy for him instead of being jealous about the whole thing.

I think we should start a new heading on snowest.....The Impulse cult.
They all seem to know everything and are the chit !!!!! UNREAL!!!!

Travis.. where have you been? hes been asking straight time. Has even gone to the extent of phoning Paul and feeding him a line of bulsh!t that he bought a used kit and never got instructions or pics.That kit cost Paul about 50k and endless time to perfect so its not JUNK! So ya guys are being volcal about it as i am. SledHead you have talent for sure, but at the very least can you put the air intake off to the side like the hp3? It will still look good and work good and have a piece of your own touch? Then it wont be mistaken for a Impulse on the hill:beer; Oh buy the way ill start that Impulse cult for ya. lol:beer;

Premium Features