• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

drive chain length issue

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
Working on getting my 2019 120 raw (fixed fit kit) set up on my 18 300 xc. anybody run into the drive chain being too loose? the chart recommends a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket which is what i have on yet the chain is so loose that it will hit the track, not long enough that i could lose a link though. I really don't want to go up to a 14 on the engine. any thoughts? my fit kit has been a pain in the as* thus far, recieved the wrong sub frame bushings and my spindle bushings were not bored large enough to fit my front axle. hoping for things to start working soon :face-icon-small-dis

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
par for the course?

I am not much of a wrencher, but can tell you that I had more fitment/chain/sprocket type issues with my ktm 300 than with any of the MX 4-stroke bikes. There is a thicker Timbersled chain thingy that helps take up some chain slack. Good luck.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
hopefully my dealer has an answer for me tomorrow, really not hoping i wont be waiting on more parts as the snow falls. Seems crazy to me that they would make the chart without knowing it actually works\

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Go to the larger sprocket and gear down on the secondary drive to make up for it. I always found the larger primary sprockets to be easier on the chains guards and sliders as well as tensioners especially if you have us the TSS

Last edited:

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
You think the half link would be a weak spot in the chain? I'll try a 14 tooth tomorrow, have a feeling it will be tight. Where can you buy the different chain case sprockets? Does anyone change the sprocket after the countershaft or usually just change the chain case ones, hoping that wont lead to another half link scenario.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you just lower the strut rod a bit will help to loosen the chain slightly if it is tight. After it stretches you can get back to you're setting. If you lower the rear a bit slide the fork tubes out as well so you do not loose your suspension travel. That way the suspension set up does not change on the kit you just rotate the bike backwards. A bit more trail on the fork , but that is not a show stopper.
Most often you can just swap the outside gears to gear down,to make up for the larger front sprocket. TS will have a range of different sprockets that will allow for different gearing.

I have changed all 4 on my old sx kit to just get the right gearing with a larger front. On the aero I am just a bit high , but I do have a larger back sprocket for the primary to help gear it down just a bit more. Will put it in before the snow flies.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
You think the half link would be a weak spot in the chain? I'll try a 14 tooth tomorrow, have a feeling it will be tight. Where can you buy the different chain case sprockets? Does anyone change the sprocket after the countershaft or usually just change the chain case ones, hoping that wont lead to another half link scenario.

Racin station stocks sprockets and ships quickly.

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
I'll see how the 14 fits today and also see if anyone in town has a o ring half link sure seems like a good thing to have around with how little room for adjustment we have. Looks like I can go 16 18 in the case and that should have me a little slower than stock with the 13 up front which sounds nice. If the snow comes down good tonight I might even have a chance to try it out this weekend.

Premium Features