• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pipe wrap or pipe guard

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I've had both and wrapped and unwrapped exhaust on my 4 stroke snowbikes with mixed results. I should have paid more attention but, not certain if wrapping resulted in less steam. It did help against burned pants but, on my fx permanently stained the pipe.

As we collectively get more experience on these setups, does the wrapped pipe reduce steam noticeably over a naked pipe or a pipe guard? It seems like I see fewer wrapped pipes. Anyone run with and without on same bike and recall the difference? After reading many searched posts I'm not certain there is a concesus on the issue. What are overall experiences pipe wrap, pipe guard, positives, negatives? Thanks

camo323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Spokane
I have had both and prefer not to wrap the pipe. It created way more steam and needed to be replaced more often than not.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
wrapping it up

if you wrap the pipe and DON'T spray it with the silicone pipe wrap spray, the warp gets continually soaked with water and steaming all the time. What a mess.

If you liberally soak the wrap with a full can of the silicone spray, no steam. Was just there yesterday with my riding partner, newly wrapped pipe covered with plastic side panels no spray. Every time we stopped his bike looked like it had just blown up. His old wrap job with a can of spray on the wrap under the same side panels almost not steam. Looked like he had a bad anti freeze leak all day. Lolo pass you can ride.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Wrap

if you wrap the pipe and DON'T spray it with the silicone pipe wrap spray, the warp gets continually soaked with water and steaming all the time. What a mess.

If you liberally soak the wrap with a full can of the silicone spray, no steam. Was just there yesterday with my riding partner, newly wrapped pipe covered with plastic side panels no spray. Every time we stopped his bike looked like it had just blown up. His old wrap job with a can of spray on the wrap under the same side panels almost not steam. Looked like he had a bad anti freeze leak all day. Lolo pass you can ride.

Very much appreciate that info. That was kind of my recollection from past experience, but you know how recollection gets when over 60??. Thanks again.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Two bikes over the years. Both wrapped then sprayed with full can of silicon spray. They look like casts. Can't even tell it's fabric under there. Water beads on it and falls off. Zero steam. Zero risk of burning or melting pants, etc. Love it. After two or three years, i hit it again with another 1/3 to 1/2 can and good to go another couple years.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Here is my take on the whole wrap or guard scenario. I've had both setups and will not be wrapping anymore headers. We all spend crazy amounts of money on Thermostats, engine blankets, ECUs to fight overfueling caused by not being able to keep temps up. When you wrap the header none of the heat from the pipe is expelled until it gets to the silencer. With the header wrapped my silencer was so hot it was melting my rear number plate. Is it not more effective to have the heat from the pipe helping keep engine temps up? Especially where Yamaha has the wrap around exhaust?
The wrap also isn't a big fan of rubbing off trees. I found I was having to redo it fairly often.
Just my 2 cents, P3 makes some beautiful heat shields that give ample coverage that aren't crazy expensive and who doesnt like carbon fiber....
P3 shield with a Revvup jacket and you have a nice toasty engine bay with no snow getting in to make steam at all.:face-icon-small-ton

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
When you wrap the header none of the heat from the pipe is expelled until it gets to the silencer. With the header wrapped my silencer was so hot it was melting my rear number plate. Is it not more effective to have the heat from the pipe helping keep engine temps up?

That’s why our jackets go on the outside of the exhaust.... keeping the heat in and getting the motor to the temperatures it was designed to run at.

Premium Features