• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cluster sweeping, and low light output

S
Jan 2, 2016
Hey all so I've been reading everything on the gauges sweeping and going haywire, I've tried all the little things going to move onto voltage regulator replacement then to stator. This is what jive checked and replaced

Replaced relay with no affect
Checked red wore out of voltage regulator for rubbing on rivet it was perfectly good
Checked rear tail light everything good there.

This is my issue when I got the sled headlights were out and headlight delete installed. After riding for about 10 minutes cluster would go crazy at idle. Needles sweeping all lights on. It got worse when I put the headlights back in. Have to get it about 3000 rpm before cluster works properly. At idle headlight is way dim as I rev up more light.
I'm going to try one more relay just in case the new one I put on was bad. Any other suggestions to look at?

S
Jan 2, 2016
Update:
So after riding for a while getting things warmed up the lights get worse, they go dim and don't get brighter with higher rpms even my brights don't make a change stays same dim light. Any help would be appreciated

Timberdoodle218

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2010
Tofte MN
Well I had the same problem but discovered 2 things that could have caused it. My ground at the front right motor mount came undone when the bolt worked itself out. I had pulled the bolt and added a washer under the motor mount to help align clutches (it did work) but apparently didn't snug up the bolt tight enough. I also had some wires behind chaincase that were starting to melt at some connectors I had put in after I cut the wires to be able to pull the motor out ( I hadn't researched as to how to to separate the wires from the plug in front of right footwell) so now I'm unsure as to what is actually going on. Whether it was because the ground came off that caused the wires to fry or if its because of the connectors them selves having resistance to the current. So now I have to figure out how I'm going to repair the wires (one broke off and another is close) as there is no room whatsoever to get in there to reconnect them. Looks like the chaincase will need to come off. Those wires are laying right on the bulkhead, perhaps you have a rubbing issue there?

S
Jan 2, 2016
Update, so I had to pull the motor as one of my motor mounts was broken while I had the motor out I decided to replace the stator easy swap with the motor out three everything back together and not a problem since. Hope this helps someone else find their problem and get it fixed

Premium Features