• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BD Turbo kit ?

Dec 21, 2008
Just wondering how everyones turbo boondocker kit is working on there apex. Any known problems with this kit other then header cracking issue?. Did a search and couldnt find much. I am looking very hard into this kit as I currently have an RT chassis with a three inch and a bunch of other light weight parts on it and is worth nothing to sell. This summer I am planning to drop an apex motor into my RT chassis and have been looking at alot of turbo kits, and it seems that the only one that will work with this project, without to many major changes is the side mount BD turbo. Also what are you guys running for controllers. Heard good things about the RB3, any one running the Power Commander five with auto tune. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ill build you one for around 1/2 the price.. and it will fit awsome!.... the bd headers need to be reworked a bit from there stock position.. as you know, the same sorta project, just carbs for me.. found it was easier to make most of it myslef as I eneded up hacking other stuff so bad it was more work and wasnt as good a design as full custom. it looks like a bigger project at first, but IMO.. its the only way to go.

heck, if the motor mounts are the same I can build you a set as well.. or walk you through it.. super easy.

just curious where you are at. if your somewhat close I woulnt mind lending a helping hand or some such nonsense.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
I've ran a bd kit on my Apex for the last 3 seasons now and I honestly can't say anything bad about them! The only issue I've had was having to reroute a fuel line that was pinched(my bad on install). Overall, they are a very good kit. Quality of products used is not like that of Paul with Impulse; but there's a reason why Boondocker has soooo many kits out there! Look into putting that head shim in if you get the chance:face-icon-small-win

Dec 21, 2008
Im sure I will be asking you quite a few questions throughout the build skidooinit, read over your thread a few times. To bad Im so far a way (hour west of Edmonton Alberta) the help would be great. With the way you have your engine mounted does it seem to twist under torque at all, Im planning on doing mine the same way. As far as the BD header having to be modified Im planing on running a Yammi chaincase and secondary, like J Tab did on his build (should make clearance for heaer pipe). Should be alot easier to get the clutching dialed and alot easier for the reverse to be made to work, rather than trying to mod an old zx manual reverse kit onto the RT. With my RT I am running with 8 tooth 3 pitch drivers with the 3" track with lots of clearance. When I put the Yammi shorter chaincase on the closest thing the track will rub on is the jack shaft as it will be in the tunnel, will I still be able to run the 8 tooth drivers and keep the good attack angle I have now or will I have to drop down to 7 tooth drivers?

I dont plan on running crazy boost on this sled, planning on running premium through it for the first couple of years with a head shim. What am I safe to run for boost around 6000 ft (10-14)? For this range of boost is it worth the extra for the 2860 turbo? Was also on the boondocker site and they seem to be making a boost controller that automaticaly adjust your boost for alltitude, any one using this? Had been running hard an RT with a BMP 1100 in it with twin pipes and boondocker box, pulled hard for an naturally aspirated sled, but any ways I dont remember the last time I rode it and didnt have to play with the boonie box. Basically is there any way I can get this Boondocker kit to function some what like the MCX kits are. Want a sled I am not tuneing every time i ride if the the temp changes or alltitude changes or if the sun or wind changes lol Looking very forward to reliable horse power.

Premium Features