• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my impulse replica kit

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
:D some guys just kill me. Seems to me the only guys who have a problem with it are the one that cant build/design/fab. If if thats not your cup of tea, hey thats great.

This is actually really important............ Welcome to America... and capitalism.

Take just one minute and think about the computer your typing on, the phone in your jeans, the truck in your yard and the sled on the trailer...... Wanna bet they all started as an idea and evolved to what they are today?

The sled industry seems to be really big on the crying about the copy catter factor. Do you suppose the titans of industry spend more time on saying copy catter, or figuring out how to make a new widget or their widget better?

For the OP, i say nice build. What makes you guys think there is or isn't some dude outhere that isnt on snowest and build a setup before paul did? No way of knowing, i know, but just keep that in mind. Memory serves me right it seems like bender was the first to turbo a 4 stroke, but I could be wrong.

Btw, I think impulse turbos are spectacular. If i were buying a consumer kit, Pauls would be it. no doubt.

Competion is the best thing there is. weather one likes it or not. It breeds ideas, ingenuity, and progress.

Dont know about you guys, but i'm glad auto makers duke it out every day. Anyone here ever driven a Model A....... or a model T? I'll take my 3rd gen dodge any day. Same goes for sled makers. And, aftermarket.

Instead of saying, "Aw, you copy cat" like a bunch of first graders focus should be on how to make stuff better.

If impulse turbos new stand alone fuel setup works, it will revolutionize aftermarket performance. High perf out of the box. a new concept. Good on impulse. I think he's leading the way.

Unless you come up with something or a process that can be patented, I say good hunting folks.:beer;

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Copy cat Turbo

This is an intersting point and I could be wrong but thats how I remember it as well.

Powderlites Dave I have a question for you, and I'm just playing the devils advocate here but how did you make the CPR header I bought from you without having one in your hands to jig up? Lucky guess on the angles and fit? It's not your design it's Jeff Simons so is that copying? It's right there on your website and you make money from someone elses design. My point is here is that no one in the turbo business should be pointing any fingers because in the end there really is a only finite number of ways to skin the cat, front mount, rear mount, mid mount and side mount, the difference is in the little details, thats what you pay for and the service and I too believe turbo kits are going to come down in price.

JMO

M5

MCX Eric was first to make turbo for RX1 and When I made a header it was turn in on a angle and my own intercooler design etc.
CPR, Northest Turbos, Tison were the copycats and I end up jigging off of Northest Turbos headers whcih are still here today in my shop as they all copied MCX.
I started buuilding headers to get the guys up and running again as Tison headers wouldn't make 50 miles!!.
Northeast headers were only a few hundred miles and CPR guys brought me there headers to weld and fix.
Jennetty headers were the cure for all headers to be and look how good they were.
Anytime you guys think I made money building headers!! FLY at it and and buy up my money header making business!!

You guys are so wrong! I built headers for CPR, Northest, Tison, and a few MCX guys to get them back on the snow and riding.
How many guys are always sending there CPR header back and forth and miss a season of riding??
At least Greg from Northeast stood behind his turbo kits and tried very hard to get any of his guys up and riding.
Ask Jennenty how much money he made?
Need for Speed built a few headers and I was glad to help him out but PM him and ask how easy it is to build these headers and make money!!
Already got Skidoo 1200 guys phoning since last year trying to build Turbo kits and there isn't too many that will be upfront and say Hey Dave would you give me some info So I can build a turbo kit for my Skidoo 1200.
One person only has been honest and yes I have help him out with his new 1200.
I still sell parts where guys weld up there own kits every few weeks and watch how there race stuff goes.

List of names that I have helped out!
Northeast Turbos, Poor bastards that bought Tison turbo kits, CPR customers, Jim @ One Stop Performance and he is good guy and not trying to mass produce kits, Hurricane, Jennetty, Greg Sentry and with great respect as he would do the same for me and is very honest, Alpine, TK performance, and i will say I owe a lot to my friend Burton as he always back me up in designing turbo kits that push this industry ahead to catch up with Motorcycle turbos.
I come from background of bikes and worked on 1979 Kawasaki Z1R Turbo built by American turbo pak.
Built a few marine watercooled turbo boats in 1980.
I know I am dating myself but I can still get the job done and always trying to improve my products.

Give my knowlegde freely to anyone who is positive and not dishonest with me.
My passion is to give customers the best performance we can out of his ride!! Even if it is a MPI supercharger, BoonDocker turbo or MCX Apex etc.

Dave Forsyth
www.powderlites.com

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
MCX Eric was first to make turbo for RX1 and When I made a header it was turn in on a angle and my own intercooler design etc.
CPR, Northest Turbos, Tison were the copycats and I end up jigging off of Northest Turbos headers whcih are still here today in my shop as they all copied MCX.
I started buuilding headers to get the guys up and running again as Tison headers wouldn't make 50 miles!!.
Northeast headers were only a few hundred miles and CPR guys brought me there headers to weld and fix.
Jennetty headers were the cure for all headers to be and look how good they were.
Anytime you guys think I made money building headers!! FLY at it and and buy up my money header making business!!

You guys are so wrong! I built headers for CPR, Northest, Tison, and a few MCX guys to get them back on the snow and riding.
How many guys are always sending there CPR header back and forth and miss a season of riding??
At least Greg from Northeast stood behind his turbo kits and tried very hard to get any of his guys up and riding.
Ask Jennenty how much money he made?
Need for Speed built a few headers and I was glad to help him out but PM him and ask how easy it is to build these headers and make money!!
Already got Skidoo 1200 guys phoning since last year trying to build Turbo kits and there isn't too many that will be upfront and say Hey Dave would you give me some info So I can build a turbo kit for my Skidoo 1200.
One person only has been honest and yes I have help him out with his new 1200.
I still sell parts where guys weld up there own kits every few weeks and watch how there race stuff goes.

List of names that I have helped out!
Northeast Turbos, Poor bastards that bought Tison turbo kits, CPR customers, Jim @ One Stop Performance and he is good guy and not trying to mass produce kits, Hurricane, Jennetty, Greg Sentry and with great respect as he would do the same for me and is very honest, Alpine, TK performance, and i will say I owe a lot to my friend Burton as he always back me up in designing turbo kits that push this industry ahead to catch up with Motorcycle turbos.
I come from background of bikes and worked on 1979 Kawasaki Z1R Turbo built by American turbo pak.
Built a few marine watercooled turbo boats in 1980.
I know I am dating myself but I can still get the job done and always trying to improve my products.

Give my knowlegde freely to anyone who is positive and not dishonest with me.
My passion is to give customers the best performance we can out of his ride!! Even if it is a MPI supercharger, BoonDocker turbo or MCX Apex etc.

Dave Forsyth
www.powderlites.com

"Give my knowledge freely to anyone who is positive and not dishonest with me" This has been my point the whole time.

M
Jan 14, 2004
First off if you know Dave at all he isn't the type of guy to back away from a challenge so I'm pretty sure he'll have a laugh when he reads this and comes up with a reply. I think you might have misunderstood my point here. I'm by no means dissing Dave here I've dealt with him for years now and he's always been the "Go To Guy" for me. My point is that everybody uses everybody elses ideas and designs in some way or another whether it be a direct copy (ie a CPR replacement header which WAS needed in the marketplace) or a concept, I don't think any one of the builders can take credit for all the good ideas and concepts related to turbos. Individually they've each had some great ideas and the best ones seem to morph into every kit on the market.

M5

Dave

I also posted this 2 posts after the one you quoted don't know if you saw it or not, but yah I too beleive the replacement headers WERE NEEDED because those CPR etc. headers were all crap, but the thread got started on the Copying theme so my point was not so much why guys copy things or need to copy things, I was just stating that just about everybody copies stuff in one way or another at some time whether it's an actual part ie. a header or just an idea. Thats all I was saying and no I don't want your header business. LOL

M5

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Yes, please.

I'm to the point of buying something..
I found the '10 can for ~205$.. Everyone else (local) wants MSRP [~292$].

Just ordered a 2010 tank myself for $205 because it was the only option. Everyone selling the old ones think they're worth gold?!!

Premium Features