• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on the Viper (stock)

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
The viper won't run if the oil pump isn't primed. A few people have had to cycle the key a few times to reset it and to get the sled to fire after a roll over.

When I dumped mine upside down it didn't leak oil and fired right up, but I did have a couple crank but no fire after a side hill and some pow turns. A few key cycles and it was fine.

You may come upon a situation where the sled runs a bit upside down and you lose prime to the point that starting it and stopping it a few times wont reprime. In that case remove the vent line on top of the oil tank and plug it with your hand and crank. Four Stroke Solutions roll over valve has this feature built into it if you buy that it.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
brandy I felt the exact same thing with my viper. the pro you ride all the way forward, with the viper you slide back about a foot and instead of counter steering you lean on this sled and it does what you want. Just got my exits installed front and back tonight, can't wait to go out and try it.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Interesting review of the sled. I read Christopher's review of his seat time on the Viper and the overall opinion seemed to be impressive.

I rode the Turbo Cat for the 2012/13 season. Loved the chassis, the way it handled, power, but could never get used to all the extra weight you pack around. Went back to a 2 stroke the next year.

The oil pump losing it's prime seems dumb to me. If that's the case, I feel Yamaha should have provided a stock Roll Over Kit.

It will be interesting to see the overall response to the sled once more people get seat time in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
After watching Allans problems with all the gaps for snowdust to get into the engine compartment I am curious to see how that plays out here in the states. Is it going to be a problem or not. Let us know please.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
After watching Allans problems with all the gaps for snowdust to get into the engine compartment I am curious to see how that plays out here in the states. Is it going to be a problem or not. Let us know please.

Have not had a problem with that until the pic you see below. I pushed into so much snow the entire hood was covered even the sides! Had to move snow away from the windshield as in the pic to get it to start again as all the underhood air was gone. You could start it and a few seconds later not enough air and it would die. LOL, never had this problem with a Nytro it wouldn't go through snow like this!

attachment.php

20141115_160816.jpg

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Rode over the hood powder all day Viper never missed a beat. If you ride a lot of deep snow like many of us on snowest we welcome the days when snow is getting into every nook & cranny....Never owned a sled that didn't :face-icon-small-hap....

FYI, If you can see your gauge pod while your riding the powder wasn't that deep.

DPM

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Have not had a problem with that until the pic you see below. I pushed into so much snow the entire hood was covered even the sides! Had to move snow away from the windshield as in the pic to get it to start again as all the underhood air was gone. You could start it and a few seconds later not enough air and it would die. LOL, never had this problem with a Nytro it wouldn't go through snow like this!

attachment.php
Be careful as that is the same thing the engine will do if the oil pump isn't priming. It will run for 3 seconds and shut down if the sensor doesn't see oil.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Capture6_zps66b0b06b.jpg

GOPR5418_zps3139e9de.jpg

Well, 3 more days on this sled in McCall's terrain and deep snow. I am quite impressed with where I was able to get and the situations I was able to get out of! (still stock) And I was giggling.. one of the guys riding a PRO was talking about his sore muscles, I felt pretty dang good! Is it more to muscle around, yes, but learn the sled and it is highly capable and surprisingly nimble. Tight tight trees will of course wear me out faster. Give me about 5' or so of wiggle room though and I can ride for hours.

Fuel consumption seems to be good now that I have something to compare it to. Pretty much riding full throttle full time and I used about 1.5 gallons less than the PROs I was with.

Are we talking about the same sled here?
I found the Viper to VERY rollable.
Oh it rolls just fine... I was referring to the oil issue.

In that case remove the vent line on top of the oil tank and plug it with your hand and crank. Four Stroke Solutions roll over valve has this feature built into it if you buy that it.

Thanks for the information! I have the roll over valve, hoping to get installed tonight! But if not, this trick is good ot know!

So does that mean if you are side hilling it will shut off due to the oil not getting to engine.

NO. Only if you end up tipped over or upside down.

The oil pump losing it's prime seems dumb to me. If that's the case, I feel Yamaha should have provided a stock Roll Over Kit.

I do agree that this should be part of the stock sled.

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
At least we got an anti stab kit and rail braces stock. Yamaha finally built the sled we've been asking for. I went for a little rip yesterday in some bottomless powder...never missed a beat and impressed the hell out of me.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
just under 400 miles now on the stock Viper and out of the box stock with the exception of clutching the Viper runs very very well.. Last week in the deep snow the Viper did great in all condition with the exception of high marking. My riding buddy's on there XM, Pro admitted at the end of the day after pounding the Pow Pow all day that were all beat tired. :face-icon-small-hap

Viper Grades.......

A+ boondocking
B+ side hilling
B+ tight trees
C+ high-mark

DPG

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
just under 400 miles now on the stock Viper and out of the box stock with the exception of clutching the Viper runs very very well.. Last week in the deep snow the Viper did great in all condition with the exception of high marking. My riding buddy's on there XM, Pro admitted at the end of the day after pounding the Pow Pow all day that were all beat tired. :face-icon-small-hap

Viper Grades.......

A+ boondocking
B+ side hilling
B+ tight trees
C+ high-mark

DPG
the high mark grade can be adjusted.:face-icon-small-hap

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada

Viper Grades.......

A+ boondocking
B+ side hilling
B+ tight trees
C+ high-mark

DPG

where those grades achieved at fat camp :face-icon-small-ton

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Nope those grades were agreed from riders in our group who ride 174XM, 155Pro, & 162Proclimb and who spend a lot of time in the backcountry riding deep snow.

The little issues the sled does have Im sure will be addressed by yamaha in there 2016 sleds. Is there room for improvement ??? Sure There Is just like all the other mountain sleds.....Is Yamaha closing the gap between Polaris, Cat ??? You Bet.....Is Yamaha closing the gap between Skidoo ???? No, 174XM is a deep snow tractor right out of the box.

I absoultly love my 940 Proclimb but Kudo's Go Out To Yamaha for delivering :face-icon-small-hap

DPG

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Those scores are pretty darn good when you consider that it's a 600 mayyyybe a 700 class sled as a stock non-turbo'd viper. It's hard to give up hp and weight and still be competitive. I'll take those scores any day of the week.

Premium Features