• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heavy Steering

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Had somebody check the front skid shock on a 2015 MTX and it came back as 2704-639 which would have spring 1704-236 in it which is 110 pounds. That is the same spring that came in the XTX, and the same spring I took out of my converted XTX. I suspect when you ride it you will feel heavier than wanted steering (hard turning on snow at slow speed or stopped).

I fixed mine by putting the same spring that is on a lot of cats and on the Viper trail models which is a 1704-461 which is 135 pounds. You can take the top shock bolt out and lay shock back and change spring without removing shock. Took me about 15 minutes to do and WOW is it better now. Light steering and moves like my 2014 M8 did now. I strongly suggest this mod.

Side note, on our last years converted XTX I moved the mount point of the lower skid shock to achieve the same thing, but think the spring change is easier.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
how sensitive do you think that shock is to differences in rider weight on the viper. if i understood you correctly you put a stronger spring in your sled it would seem that the OEM spring is a little on the light side

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
how sensitive do you think that shock is to differences in rider weight on the viper. if i understood you correctly you put a stronger spring in your sled it would seem that the OEM spring is a little on the light side

Yes the LTX and RTX show they come with the 135# spring but the XTX and MTX show the 110#, yes I know that makes little sense.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If anything the Proclimb/Viper chassis needs 2 inch longer limiter straps. Doing this inexpensive fix will give you even more front end adjustability which will further lighten up the heavy steering feel at lower speeds.

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
The proclimb chassis is essentially an extended ZR trail chassis...PIc #1 is the Proclimb chassis notice the steep approach angle compared to Pic #2 of the flatter Pro RMK approach angle.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
there is a noticeable difference for sure. so they are using a shorter limit strap on the viper chassis to accomplish what they couldn't by design I guest. I do remember that everyone was pulling up their limit straps on the first couple of years of the nytro to try to help its horrible approach angle before yamaha went to a shorter center shock. Then surprise surprise the threads on heavy steering started to appear more frequently.
So i am sure that a more stout center spring will help but it sounds like there is a trade off between a slightly worse approach angle to lighter steering. Dammit how come there is always a trade off :face-icon-small-ton

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I have noticed limiter straps have gotten shorter over the years on all brands why I don't know.. Allowing the skid the ability to adapt & transfer to it's max potential and help adjust front steering pressure to its max rather than limiting transfer with short limiter straps is puzzling. Having a flatter approach angle like Polaris would cure the problem big time Polaris uses a lower flatter approach which is a huge reason why those sleds are so nimble...As far as the center spring goes that would be my last resort since the rate of the spring apply's to the skid transferring the power to the track and not so much front steering pressure at low speeds..Although, in the bigger picture all components need to work together to get the most gain.

The one thing nice about all these skids is there setup approach for mountain powder riding is very similar set-ups that have been used for years.....Light Nimble Front End, Loose Limiter Straps To Keep The Front End Floating, Soft/Medium Center Shock, Stiff Rear Shock to maintain good rebound and limit sag.

DPG

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone tried a less aggressive ski like grippers? Could solve the problem and save some weight, although it would cost more than a spring change.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
On my 2014 Proclimb not Viper over the past few weeks I took off the stock inferior skis tried aggressive Mohawks and could not achieve the light nimble front feel I'm looking for....Borrowed Grippers for the day worked much better than the previous others but still felt there was room for improving low speed steering...I concluded that the improvements were going to be made by changes to suspension parts.

At the end of the day I believe the Viper/Proclimb Chassis could really benefit mountain riders by having a flatter approach angle similar to the RMK, slightly longer limiter straps for greater adjustment and smaller compact spindles & lower upper and lower arms illuminating excessive front end bulk and drag.

DPG

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
OMG why is DPG douching up my threads again? Did he say anything of value or just more copy and paste from Google?

By the way, putting the 135 spring in evens out the suspension and actually makes it lift the skis less as there is more room for the skid to transfer.

Try it or not just thought I would attempt to help those who do not have a lot of miles on this suspension. Don't like it don't try it.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Anyone tried a less aggressive ski like grippers? Could solve the problem and save some weight, although it would cost more than a spring change.

Skis won't fix a suspension mismatch but you knew that. Having the weight ride on the rear skid shock and skis is not a good combination for handling. I have no idea why Yamaha put a stiffer spring in the trail models and softer in the MTX.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Skis won't fix a suspension mismatch but you knew that. Having the weight ride on the rear skid shock and skis is not a good combination for handling. I have no idea why Yamaha put a stiffer spring in the trail models and softer in the MTX.

The softer front skid shock/spring is their attempt to help the sled get on top of the snow and reduce trenching.

Exactly. Stiffening the front shock will reduce ski pressure but increase weight transfer. A softer front shock/spring is better for deep snow performance and if the steering is too heavy for you then a less aggressive ski is a good option.

Premium Features