• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride: Yamaha Viper MT-X 162 LE

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
You can break it in either way. Breaking in a new engine is a personal preference. The Internet isn't paying for repairs, so do your homework and decide what you want to do.

I'm breaking mine in boosted, and will be doing the following:

1. Warm up to operating temp.
2. Run it easy for a mile or two, stop and check for leaks.
3. Find a spot where I can roll on the throttle to wot and let the engine decelerate as well.
4. Make a few pulls and take a break to let the engine go through a heat cycle.
5. Rinse and repeat, just always varying the throttle and not making any prolonged wot runs for awhile.

Expect the engine to loosen up and gain a couple hundred RPM around 500 miles.

Well guys.....

I lied.

I kept telling myself I'd go easy. I'd be gentle. Nice smooth throttle control, no craziness the first ride out. A nice calculated break in.

I even took my 6 year old with me to hold me back. He has been riding with me since Yamifest in '09 when he was just under a year old.

I hooked up with some of the regular crew from my area...one of them being silvertip. 'Tip is a local legend. He logged this area for 40 or 50 some odd years and knows this country like the back of his hand. He boondocks with the best of them...and is 67 years old.

Another with us was on a freshly rebuilt skidoo rocking a 121x1.5" track.

Surely we wouldn't be doing anything but trails and meadows right?

I figured out pretty fast that I couldn't go more than 3/4 throttle or it would bounce off the rev limiter, so I kept the first 10 miles or so mostly on track.

Okay no I didn't. I have no self control at all. This thing is fun! Even without being clutched I was doing pow turns on the side of the road, jumping water bars and just having a great time. We got to the first big meadow we spent 10 minutes jumping through the creek and carving up the place. As soon as we stopped to let it cool down and heat cycle, I immediately pulled the panels and put my bare hands on the clutches, which were just a touch above warm. I can't do that on my arctic cat!!!

We spent the rest of the day jumping from ridge to creek bottom, halfway up a ridge, sidehill out one way, drop back into the bottom, side hill out the other, dodging trees and stumps along the way. All the while my little rockstar held on and only asked me to stop jumping once, and said one sidehill scared him. I don't blame him. It was a steep do or die to the right side (which I suck at the most). I punched the throttle, put a little counter-steer in and just went. No off balance moments, no extra effort to hold our line...it was inspiring how easy it was to sidehill to my weak side on this sled.

In the end we covered 37 miles and were on the snow from 8am to 430pm and did everything I can imagine doing on this sled. Here are my takeaways:

- Needs clutching. It is butter smooth, but comes set up for N/A @ 8-10K feet, not the MPI turbo. When I took delivery of my 08 Nytro Yamaha paid for the initial clutching setup, but that is no longer the case. Anyways, I have parts going in tonight when the kids go to bed thanks to Oregon Trail Sports. I still have the stock belt. It didn't give me any issues but if it does I'm packing an 8DN as a backup.

- Suspension was a little soft as we bottomed a couple times jumping water bars, but we had to be close to 300lbs with my son and I geared up and riding double. Once in the powder it felt perfect. I'm considering trying the 135lb spring that Stingray has been talking about but I'm going to play with the stock one first. My front shocks were at 75lbs, and the rear was at 150lbs, all done with the weight removed from the shock.

- Handling was spot on in deep snow. This sled just works. lean a little, carve a little. Lean a lot, carve a lot. Sidehill? Point and go. The second the track spins it pops a ski up and settles into a very stable line. My ONLY complaint is that it pushes just a tad on flat ground. The ski's could be an inch wider, but it didn't dive on me bad enough to go drop a bunch of money on grippers or simmons, or whatever the rage is these days.

- Fit and finish looked great in the garage. On the snow there was a ton of snow being ingested at the front of the side panels. My concern is that it will end up on the clutches and cause slippage. Time will tell.

- Gauge pod is light years better than the Nytro's. You now get all the nifty things like an altimeter and can now see your coolant temps. You can also swap sides to suit your preferences on what you want to see.

Overall I put the sled through its paces and it never even blinked...even when I threw it upside down after getting extra traction off a buried tree. I did smell a little oil, but never found any that leaked. It was upside down for roughly 30 seconds to a minute so I was expecting a substantial spill. At the time I was tending to my son, and once I made sure he was okay we rolled it back onto the ski's with no issues.

I am already in love with this sled. It inspires confidence with each turn and really responds well to rider input. Once I get the suspension and clutching dialed in I don't see the need to add anything else performance wise. Really the best part is that I finally have room for a muff pot on the MPI race muffler.

IMO Yamaha kicked in Skidoo's door, Kissed polaris's girlfriend, drank Arctic Cat's beer and made themselves at home on the mountain. If you've got any doubts, find one of these machines and throw a leg over it, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Man, strange start of the season.
Just getting out this morning for my 2nd ride...

Way Way Way too busy this year.
Hope to ride all day today and tomorrow.
Now its time to make up for lost time!

The mountains are calling, and I must go..
2.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
It sill boggles my mind that in this day and age ANY manufacturer would ship a new sled with anything less than the perfect skis for the unit. How hard could it be the aftermarket seems able to do it? I know there is lots of personal preference but geez something close would be nice.

M5

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Had a good 2nd ride today.
Put another 50 miles on her and then called it good and started exercising the engine.

Not in love with the throttle paddle.

IN LOVE with the maneuverability!!

More cements when I get home.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Had a good 2nd ride today.
Put another 50 miles on her and then called it good and started exercising the engine.

Not in love with the throttle paddle.

IN LOVE with the maneuverability!!

More cements when I get home.

You will love the throttle paddle when you get a turbo. LOL. That will change the game.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
So in short what is wrong with the stock skis on the viper? Im still contemplating getting a new viper.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So today was really my first serious day of riding the Viper in anything approaching normal mode. I put another 50 or so miles on the engine and then called it broken in and dove off the trail and started riding it for real.

Generally Speaking.
In all measurable metrics I would say this sled is BETTER than the Nytro across the board. It is MUCH better mannered. Significantly easy to maneuver, less tiring, easy to get on edge and hold on edge.

The sled is more NIMBLE in pretty much every aspect.

I do NOT care for the running boards at all.
They are too smooth and slippery. In all likely hood they will be the very first structural modification I make to the sled. It could well be that I am simply spoiled after using the SKINZ Air-Frames on the Nytro for several seasons. In my opinion those are the "Gold-Standard" that every board competes against.

The Throttle Thumb Paddle seems to extend quite a ways from the handlebar. Could very well just be me, but I really feel the difference after several hours of riding. I would prefer it not to be so far away from the handlebar grip. Minor detail, made just fade away as my hand gets used to a new configuration.

I like the engine display.
VERY easy to read.!

The amount of engine braking the sled has surprises me.
I thought the Nytro had a lot of engine braking.
Just as a seat of the pants observation, I would say the Viper has as much if not a little bit more? Deceleration is quite strong when you come off the throttle.

Getting Stuck.
This was a little interesting. I did manage to get stuck a couple times today. But it wasn't the same "kind" of stuck I would get on the Nytro. There is something quantifiable different about how the Viper gets stuck that allows it to become Unstuck EASIER. Not sure if I can explain this just yet, but even though the sled still carries more or less the same weight as the Nytro, the distribution of the weight is different enough that the sled is absolutely easier to get unstuck. I don't have a good way to quantify this yet, but with more hours on the sled I am sure I will. For now what I noticed today is that I did not have to take my shovel out even once. Just a tug on the skies and the sled was free every time.

Tippiness.
For lack of a better word, this sled likes to "Tip" over.
I rolled this sled several times today. for no particular reason other than I have spent too many years riding my nytro and have to UNlearn the body language and be much more subtle. Several times today I found myself in the snow with the sled rolled over on me or right next to me. In each case it took some grunting but I was able to lift the sled and roll it back upright. I suppose because the sled is MUCH more nimble in general than the Nytro was, it is also much more inclined to just roll over on it's side. Hopefully this will subside as I relearn how to ride. I can say this though, today was the first time I was able to do a walking circle/donut with EASE. Leaned the sled over, applied throttle, and did the one leg walk around and around without having to exert any real effort to hold the sled over on edge.

TETHER!
Why doesn't this sled come with a KILL SWITCH TETHER??

Seriously Yamaha, this needs to be FACTORY INSTALLED.
I just got a new Yamaha SR Viper Roll Over Valve Kit from Four Stroke Solutions and will be installing this as the very first mod on the sled! I am not sure ANY sled is safe to ride without a kill switch tether on it. When I rolled the sled once today, the track ended up on me. Just by DUMB LUCK the throttle was at IDLE and I was unharmed. Had it been squeezed, all would not have been well!

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE all Viper owners to install a Kill Switch Tether, and personally if you are going to go to the trouble, you might as well do it right and install the roll over kit to solve the inverted oil loss problem at the same time.

Engine.
OK, so I am now BADLY SPOILED.
I have a turbo Nytro and a supercharged Nytro, both in the 225hp range.
Today was the first time I saw north of 7,000rpm on the Viper.
8,750 was the peak RPM I could ever get out of the engine.
The top end of the sled really felt flat to me. I found myself wanting MOAR power frequently. BUT, even though I "Wanted" more, the sled never failed to get me where I pointed it. I was riding on the trail side of Island Park today, so NO big climbs like over on Jefferson, but we played on Two Tops and up and down Black Canyon. So plenty of fun places to point and shoot. And all in all the sled really did do just fine. But if I was going to suggest this sled to anyone in my group, I would pretty much tell them not to buy it unless they were prepared to install a Turbo on it. It just cries out for a little boost. 6psi would make a HUGE difference in overall power and playfulness. ( I hope to be ready to begin my turbo install next weekend after Christmas).

Skies.
Not sure I am ready to offer up any real comments on the skies just yet.
I had NO issues with the skies not giving me the flotation I needed "today".
Best I found was 9-12" of fresh on a couple feet of base.
Nothing really amazing yet, but so far they seem to be doing their job nicely..

As I said at the beginning, in general, this is a VASTLY BETTER sled than the Nytro. I am looking forward to riding this sled all this season. Hope to be back on the mountain all day tomorrow if weather permits.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Another interesting observation
I just went out into my garage and was REALLY surprised by what I saw.

I pulled the Viper and my Nytro into the heated garage to melt overnight. The Viper is mostly dry beneath it. The Nytro has a huge puddle. From just this casual observation as having ridden the two sleds in exactly the same place all day long, the Viper really does appear to be carrying much LESS snow packed into it.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
The running boards sucks balls!! Why these companies can't figure out how to build them with shiat that works from the factory is beyond me.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I have several friends that have boosted their yamahas day 1 and after the first tank they ride em like they stole em, no engine failures. i dont worry about watching to make sure i'm under 6000rpm here is my "lightly" followed guideline I use.
50-100miles no more than 1 second of WOT
100-150miles 2-3 seconds of WOT
150-200miles 4-5 seconds of WOT

let er buck after that.

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have several friends that have boosted their yamahas day 1 and after the first tank they ride em like they stole em, no engine failures. i dont worry about watching to make sure i'm under 6000rpm here is my "lightly" followed guideline I use.

let er buck after that.

My Nytro has been boosted from day one, first few rides I did a few good heat cycles, made sure not to hit WOT for long (like mentioned above). No issues so far.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The running boards sucks balls!! Why these companies can't figure out how to build them with shiat that works from the factory is beyond me.
Seriously!
And I don't know WHY???
Its just not that hard to make rock solid boards that DO NOT collect snow any more. Yamaha / Cat can absolutely turn out great boards if they wanted to.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

let er buck after that.
I am just a dinosaur.
I tried to do my best to be gentle and break in the engine.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Seriously!
And I don't know WHY???
Its just not that hard to make rock solid boards that DO NOT collect snow any more. Yamaha / Cat can absolutely turn out great boards if they wanted to.
My cat is not all lolly pops and roses, but was a bit better than I originally guessed it would be. But I fell off the POS boards from being full of snow, and missed them several times because they were so odd shaped. Here's what I did this weekend.
8adc8ce437628cd026f12c10214464ad.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Same here.
I simply do not have that ROCK SOLID BULLET PROOF bite on my boots I had on the SKINZ Airframes on my Nytro.

I WILL be replacing the boards with an aftermarket solution.

N

NosGTSR

Nov 27, 2007
You arent kidding. These boards suck. I hit a small dip (2ft maybe) before a hill and bent a side. Im a big guy 6'5 250lbs with gear but I still dont think it should have taco'ed. I havent decided if Im going to see if Yamaha will warranty it or not. Ill probably ask about it when I take it in to have the drivers looked at. All in all I love how this sled feels. Sorry about the pic overload.

2014-12-19190052.jpg

2014-12-191901041.jpg

2014-12-18174925.jpg

2014-12-19150537.jpg

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
I totally agree that stock running boards and ski's suck.
My solution has been Skinz Rasmussen boards (with some modding), they feel rock solid, have awsome grip for the boots and snow can't build on them.
My choise of ski's are 7" Slydog Powder Hounds, better float and easy steering, might trim the ends a bit for more settled snow, don't like the square shape.

Sent from my Sanwa M12

Premium Features