• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper radiator delete

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Lol, FAILED is the part I am concerned about too! But as the 2014 M8 has the same system as the Viper without a radiator I have some confidence it will work with ice scratchers. Might be a few weeks before I start work on this though.

The Arctic Cat Proclimbs (not the 7000s) have a combo heat exchanger which is comprised of a front heat exchanger coupled to a tunnel heat exchanger. The 7000s (and Viper) do not have the tunnel heat exchanger. They have the rad in front instead. If you were to remove the rad out of a AC7000 or Viper you will have to add to the cooling system somewhere else because it will not be able to survive with just a front heat exchanger.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
The Arctic Cat Proclimbs (not the 7000s) have a combo heat exchanger which is comprised of a front heat exchanger coupled to a tunnel heat exchanger. The 7000s (and Viper) do not have the tunnel heat exchanger. They have the rad in front instead. If you were to remove the rad out of a AC7000 or Viper you will have to add to the cooling system somewhere else because it will not be able to survive with just a front heat exchanger.

2014 Cat M8 ltd have a front heat exchanger and no rear tunnel cooler as they hold ice and snow. With my radiator delete I have a similar cooling configuration as a 2014 M8 with 160 horsepower, and I hope/expect the 4 stroke to cool as well. Your opinion is noted though.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
2014 Cat M8 ltd have a front heat exchanger and no rear tunnel cooler as they hold ice and snow. With my radiator delete I have a similar cooling configuration as a 2014 M8 with 160 horsepower, and I hope/expect the 4 stroke to cool as well. Your opinion is noted though.

The LTD version you mention still uses a combo front heat exchanger with a shorter tunnel cooler section. If you have deleted the rad on your Viper the only cooler in your system is the front exchanger. Make sure you run a digital temp gauge to keep an eye on temps.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
The LTD version you mention still uses a combo front heat exchanger with a shorter tunnel cooler section. If you have deleted the rad on your Viper the only cooler in your system is the front exchanger. Make sure you run a digital temp gauge to keep an eye on temps.

20140706_194909.jpg

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fan now takes cool air from the front air intake and blow it through the radiator.
Tested today for 3 hours. Ran at between 25 degrees to 35 degrees at 10k to 12k altitude on about 4 inches of snow on the road. The test,
1. Blue Viper radiator delete. 172 to 174 degrees for 3 hours of slow stop and go riding both ice scratchers down. Disclaimer -NOTE: worked for me do not do radiator delete.
2. Red Viper fan reversed. 160 to 174 same conditions but ice scratchers NOT down. My big concern for fan reversal was 10 to 30 mph riding and it passed with flying colors. Disclaimer - NOTE: do not reverse fan connector

I put the disclaimer in as I am still testing. One trip does not a victory declare.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I'm guessing that MPI is using engine coolant to cool the center section of the turbo. Not sure if CAT is doing the same with the 1100T, but I would guess yes. This is my best guess as to why Yamaha decided to add the radiator, otherwise the cooling layout would be just like your M8.

I'm intrigued to see what MPI will do for a small tunnel cooler to replace the radiator...

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I'm guessing that MPI is using engine coolant to cool the center section of the turbo. Not sure if CAT is doing the same with the 1100T, but I would guess yes. This is my best guess as to why Yamaha decided to add the radiator, otherwise the cooling layout would be just like your M8.

I'm intrigued to see what MPI will do for a small tunnel cooler to replace the radiator...

Yamaha had to make a sled where one size fits all and try to make it dummy proof. That is why I think thy did the radiator, remember the RX1 days without a rad? Need a radiator for folks that stop and chat and leave the sled idling.....

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
When the snow becomes super deep and the Viper motor is under extreme load and sucking for air let the forum know what the temps spike to.

LOL! You really are clueless. Just so nobody thinks you actually know what you are talking about let me point out the M8/Viper have a heat exchanger in the tunnel. Snow goes on exchanger and guess what? It cools. If you manage to overheat a Viper or M8 in deep snow while moving post it here so we can put it on Ripley's Believe it or Not.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
LOL! You really are clueless. Just so nobody thinks you actually know what you are talking about let me point out the M8/Viper have a heat exchanger in the tunnel. Snow goes on exchanger and guess what? It cools. If you manage to overheat a Viper or M8 in deep snow while moving post it here so we can put it on Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Deleting the stock rad is a waste of time and money. There is no way the bulkhead cooler will make up the cooling needed for this motor.

Did anyone consider they didn't use a tunnel cooler because there is just no room for it? Not sure if anyone has looked in the tunnel and seen the header pipe in there? Lol

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Yamaha starting putting in rads when they went to fuel injection on their sleds. RX1 didn't have one, Apex did.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Deleting the stock rad is a waste of time and money. There is no way the bulkhead cooler will make up the cooling needed for this motor.

Did anyone consider they didn't use a tunnel cooler because there is just no room for it? Not sure if anyone has looked in the tunnel and seen the header pipe in there? Lol

I ran a tunnel cooling system in my 14 last season with my 3". It's tight up front but the right cooling material will clear the header.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I ran a tunnel cooling system in my 14 last season with my 3". It's tight up front but the right cooling material will clear the header.
Even if it does fit with a bunch of extra effort, there is no point when you consider the extra ice build imp from the heat exchanger.
I couldn't believe how clean of ice and snow the Viper tunnel was last season. All other manufacturers have huge ice build up.

B
Nov 1, 2014

Perhaps you need to get out and ride more often and stop think you know everything there is to know about sledding....I see plenty of long track sleds over heating on hard pack roads because there heat exchangers aren't getting enough snow to keep cool. There's a reason why we see guys All the time pulled over when the snow is rock hard putting piles of snow on there tunnel. Back in the day when heat exchangers were underneath the running boards we piled up our running boards with snow. Worst thing you can do to your sled is to turn off the sled Immediately after you have come to a stop. I see no benefit to radiator delete.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Even if it does fit with a bunch of extra effort, there is no point when you consider the extra ice build imp from the heat exchanger.

I couldn't believe how clean of ice and snow the Viper tunnel was last season. All other manufacturers have huge ice build up.

I would have to agree that this is a huge advantage. When I put my rear mount turbo on my nytro I could not believe the amount of snow that built up on the underside of the tunnel. I am deleting my radiator and putting a cooler in the back and hopefully keep the snow buildup to a minimum.

The lack of cooling in the tunnel seems to be the reason the viper did so well in the test snowest did last year. Who knows if this was purposeful design or dumb luck but it seems yamaha got this right.

I am curious however what the reason behind the radiator delete is. What are the benefits?

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I would have to agree that this is a huge advantage. When I put my rear mount turbo on my nytro I could not believe the amount of snow that built up on the underside of the tunnel. I am deleting my radiator and putting a cooler in the back and hopefully keep the snow buildup to a minimum.

The lack of cooling in the tunnel seems to be the reason the viper did so well in the test snowest did last year. Who knows if this was purposeful design or dumb luck but it seems yamaha got this right.

I am curious however what the reason behind the radiator delete is. What are the benefits?[/QUOTE
]
The only reason I could see for deleting the radiator is if you needed the space for something else. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

Premium Features