• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REAL WEIGHT COMPARISON: Yamaha Viper vs RMK vs XM! (Video W/Ryan Harris from SnoWest)

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Us Yamaha fans may see it on the cover of a snowest mag in the shoot out I hope?I have not seen that for a long time and I would gamble that the other 2 go turbo to keep up if a 2 stroke can last. But what do I know is riding a stock apex is over,it's time for a new sled:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Arctic cat does make a nice platform that does hold less snow due to the absence of a rear cooler. From 2 other sources the wet shop weight for the Polaris is about 30lbs high and the Ski-doo about 20lbs high. I see these sleds have electric start but is not need like the Viper, why add useless weight to the Poo and Doo. Looks like the 2015 Viper is not that much lighter then a M1100T 25-30lbs only but I hear handle a lot better due to engine position.

As far as weight with snow way to many variables for that but shows a bit of a comparison I guess, makes cat/yamaha riders happy. All the new sleds are great, its the rider that makes them look good anyways. Just funny still that Yamaha needs a turbo to even compare, talking stock sleds Yamaha is still out of the game for power weight is now under 100lbs difference Congrats:party:

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is legit.

1. Both the Pro and the Summit were equipped with electric start.

3. T all three sleds were ridden for a couple hours, filled up, ridden around again and driven right to the hanging scale.

4. I was shocked.
it was light enough to feel fun. Wasn't expecting that.

6. Yamaha has made big progress toward having a 4-stroke mountain sled that is competitive with the 8s and is actually fun to ride. It is fun to ride.
Sweet.
Thanks for offering your comments on what you saw the day the video was shot!

Haters gonna hate, no matter what they read to the contrary.

haters_gonna_hate_blue_sledders_com_t_shirt-r1f60028d8bbe4c45bee59a1d1d49b6a6_vj7bi_512.jpg

But clearly Yamaha IS MAKING PROGRESS in the right direction.!!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris, you gotta roll with the blue and white....I already locked down a red one!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Honestly.
I am TORN.
I kinda like the Blue and Orange one, and even though I live in Idaho, I am NOT a Boise State fan. But its just got SO MUCH COLOR going on !

1661583_697565946940769_449093214_n.jpg

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
strange how they got the 640lbs wet on a 153 after i seen a 615lbs wet on the proto 162:face-icon-small-con seems there scale was high on all the sleds.i like the black one but its only a 153,in the pics the blue & orange is nice but did not like it as much when i sat on it not the right orange for me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think Ryan's comments on the snow tell the tale on weights.
Its all about moisture content.

But the reality of riding IS that our sleds DO get packed with a LOT of snow.

Certainly one of the reasons I melt out all my sleds every night in the trailer on multi-day rides.!!

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Honestly who give a ffffff what they weigh. All the bickering is retarded, ride something and like it who cares. Either way 40lbs isn't going to make a difference when getting stuck or riding. You wont notice at all. Majority of the sledding community have become big sissys, just ride the darn things and appreciate how far your can go with it, Find the machine that feels best for you and your set. I rode a cat, poli and doo and it doesn't matter get accustomed to one and it will get you places, once in awhile you get a lemon.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think it was legite but the way it was done is biased if that makes any sense. There was a turbo on it because it won't compete but that was minor. My biggest gripe was they put electric start on the pro and xm to lessen the difference because the 4 has to have it. That was the exact reason and not because that was the only sleds they could get or because people love electric start. It isn't even a gripe. people buy 4's for the reasons they buy them and the same for the 2 stroke. Obviously the cat or yamaha has less snow but I am not sold that the weight from it, and where it is, makes that much difference. It is front end weight and that is why I sold my t-nytro. They have come a long ways but it is still apples to oranges. Christopher, you are going to have a tough choice because I like all of them. I would probably favor the blue and white.

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
Honestly who give a ffffff what they weigh. All the bickering is retarded, ride something and like it who cares. Either way 40lbs isn't going to make a difference when getting stuck or riding. You wont notice at all. Majority of the sledding community have become big sissys, just ride the darn things and appreciate how far your can go with it, Find the machine that feels best for you and your set. I rode a cat, poli and doo and it doesn't matter get accustomed to one and it will get you places, once in awhile you get a lemon.

You took the words right out of my mouth man I feel the same way. Even the "god" sent pro is a tank when its stuck in 4 foot of powder!

catt_tracker

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2012
Idaho
I can't wait to ride one. I just sold my T apex I'm curious how much different the new chassis will feel. My wife rides a non turbo Nytro and it could use a turbo. I think Yamaha is heading in the right direction with this new chassis though. I'm glad they are putting a bigger gas tank on the new ones the nytros is to small imo.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I don't like how the snow in the skids and on the skis appears "tampered"

But I wouldn't mind riding a Viper and making my own opinion.

I have said it many times before, I am a SNOWMOBILER more than a Cat Poo Doo or Yammy rider. I will happily ride (and often trash) all brands equally.

Anyone wanna let me try out their Viper?

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
And notice the order in which they weighed them. On the doo shot it looks like it's raining. Notice how they don't give you much of a shot of the yammy before and even when it's on the scales?

This just smells too much like the Cat video from last year to feel very unbiased. They got the results they were wanting to get - imagine that!

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
So the one thing that kind if stood out to me, and I doub. Poo would even let them, but they aren't all. 2015 sleds. For 2014 Polaris started offering coated rails, and for 2015 you can get it with coated spindles, rails, boards and tunnel. I'm curious how much of a differance it makes.

O
Dec 6, 2007
Nice maketing video....

It starts with a premis I disagree with and then runs with it. The say wieght, but more importantly power to weight is what sledders want. Not true, I do not want a turbo Apex with 300 hp because it is too bleedin heavy. You don't have any power when it is stuck in a hole. No matter how you slice it the Yammi is 80 lbs heavier. Sugar coat it all you want, follow that up by spending thousands more on the turbo kit and try to make a case that it is a fair comparison.

I guess excuses, silly marketing videos and rabid Yami fans will keep the farce alive. It is HEAVY. If that is OK with you great, not OK with me. They are getting closer but still missing the mark by a wide margin. No amount of marketing is going to shave 80 lbs off the sled. What it needs more than a marketing dept or a cheering squad is a diet. Only then will it be a legitimate 4 stroke mtn sled. For now it looks badly overpriced and overwieght compared to the sleds it wants to compete with.

These silly vids where the Pro holds so much more snow crack me up. I have ridden my Pro all season with Cats and Doos and have yet to see my sled carrying any more snow thant the others, certainly not 20,30,40 lbs more. If it makes you Ymicat fans happy, which it clearly does, by all means saddle up and bring those hogs to the mtn. Just don't bother lying to me about how it is lighter, or just as light in your "real world". What a joke.

Premium Features