• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's leaked!

S

Shred4Ever

Nov 2, 2013
Is it just a sleeved down Nytro engine?
Dont see any weight loss here.

No.., it's a completely NEW engine for Turbo application. The piston oil lubrication/cooling is very unique. New crank & rod design for purpose...

I agree they must release something more inviting than this... However MANY will be excited of the Sidewinder.

We will see as the day drags on.., tic toc!!!

T

TApeX_07

It certainly is the big news. They have a long tradition of overhyping and under delivering. Another heavy *** YamaCat tank. Hopefully Arctic Cat has something new. The Polaris release was something of a let down.

I don't know what they are thinking? The percentage of riders interested in a heavy turbo sled is so small that they will never climb out of 4th place in sales. After seeing all the problems the 1100T and Viper has had being a turbo in the Pro-cross chassis, I'd be amazed that anyone would be excited about version 3 in the same chassis.

At least this version is running a Yamaha/Mitsu ecu!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Yamaha needed the factory turbo 10-15 years ago. Now its too little too late.

Riding styles have changed and the big power isn't as appealing as the lighter weight and easier handling. 15 years ago when hill climbing was the rage, it would of been a huge seller!

Why Yamaha won't come back out with a 2 stroke is beyond me. They have to realize that the decision they made 12 or 13 years ago was the wrong one. They gambled and lost big time. Some old man must just be way to stubborn to admit his mistake and move on with 2 stroke technology.

Yamaha came out with the 2016 YZ250X 2 stroke dirt bike, which was first major change to their two stroke line up since 2005. Hats off to them for doing so! Now they just need to step up on sleds!

It does look like the plastic is a little narrower. That is great to see, as its really the major flaw on the ProClimb chassis.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I don't think the plastic is that much narrower. I think it's the color scheme. The white on the outer panels makes it appear to be skinny. You think each sled is getting thinner from left to right but it's the same plastic but different paint.

Not a Yammie or Cat guy but I am interested in whatever any manufacture does each year to better the sport so I had to stop and check out the thread.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Cool engine but yamaha obviously doesn't know what the consumers want anymore.

well the trail riders got there way again,love allot of the things they did but.
great that they give you track option front end option,it looks great & is a cool motor but i really was hoping the would have a 2 stroke option.
i love my 4 strokes but there are days i want a 2stroke as iam getting older.
they should sell allot of these to trail guys but just dont see them selling many mtn sleds doo & poo are 3000$ less.

if they built this sled 5 years ago they would have sold a bunch of them.

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
well the trail riders got there way again,love allot of the things they did but.
great that they give you track option front end option,it looks great & is a cool motor but i really was hoping the would have a 2 stroke option.
i love my 4 strokes but there are days i want a 2stroke as iam getting older.
they should sell allot of these to trail guys but just dont see them selling many mtn sleds doo & poo are 3000$ less.

if they built this sled 5 years ago they would have sold a bunch of them.

Whats stopping these trail riders from going to a new two stroke? If doos new motor is as good as they say then whats stopping people from switching over? Yamahas "class leading power to weight" ratio isn't that impressive anymore since the axys and 850 etec. I can't see many people upgrading their vipers for this. I see people upgrading who are currently on an older chassis though. Looks like Yamaha is trying to hit a market that's just not there anymore. I agree that 5-6 years ago this would have been awesome. This motor in a side X side would be the cats meow...

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Yamaha needed the factory turbo 10-15 years ago. Now its too little too late.

Riding styles have changed and the big power isn't as appealing as the lighter weight and easier handling. 15 years ago when hill climbing was the rage, it would of been a huge seller!

Why Yamaha won't come back out with a 2 stroke is beyond me. They have to realize that the decision they made 12 or 13 years ago was the wrong one. They gambled and lost big time. Some old man must just be way to stubborn to admit his mistake and move on with 2 stroke technology.

Yamaha came out with the 2016 YZ250X 2 stroke dirt bike, which was first major change to their two stroke line up since 2005. Hats off to them for doing so! Now they just need to step up on sleds!

It does look like the plastic is a little narrower. That is great to see, as its really the major flaw on the ProClimb chassis.

If I remember right when the Yamaha guys came out and said they were teaming up with AC they said that there were four new engines coming out in the next five years. This is the first ''New'' engine so maybe there's still hope for a 2 stroke in a sled. It's 4 years with the 17 model so they better get busy.

Ken.....

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
If I remember right when the Yamaha guys came out and said they were teaming up with AC they said that there were four new engines coming out in the next five years. This is the first ''New'' engine so maybe there's still hope for a 2 stroke in a sled. It's 4 years with the 17 model so they better get busy.

Ken.....

I wonder if they consider the newly revamped Viking 540 part of their 'new' motor lineup. Probably. That would only leave 2 left.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I wonder if they consider the newly revamped Viking 540 part of their 'new' motor lineup. Probably. That would only leave 2 left.

And the vector motor that was redone last year (rods, electronic throttle control, etc.)

Apex motor and sled replacement next year and that will be it for the new motors.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
There is a document on the motor floating around which states 180.

What do you find promising with the lineup?
I've seen reports of 180 to 195 so far, time will tell when we get some independent dyno testing done.

What I find promising is that we have better options for the first time in a decade. Aside from the engine, there are track options, shock options, even different stances.

Not to mention actually being a contender in the 800 class. It gives me hope for the future.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Premium Features